Topeak trunk bag and rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Topeak trunk bag and rack

Hey all, I'm looking at getting a trunk bag and rack combo because I recently started commuting a few days a week to work. I need to get the weight off my back and on the bike. I was looking at the Explorer 29er tubular rack w/discs and the Mtx trunk bag dxp. I read under the bag description that you need the side frames with it and was wondering if I would still need them since the rack goes down around the wheel. I also wanted to know if there is anything I should look at as far as compatability to my bike. I'm riding a specialized hardrock 29er sport disc.

I checked on eBay and found both new. The rack was $40 and the bag for $60 both including shipping. Is this reasonable or should I go to a certain website because they have a super deal right now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sounds like the configuration that I just put on my bike. Except a 26".

For me the most important thing to consider is whether there is a disc brake. I can let you know tomorrow how the first commute goes.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Did you need the side braces or is the explorer rack sufficient at keeping the bags off of the tires. How does the prices I came up with compare to what you have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Prices are good, the rack keeps the bags off the wheel

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ok that's good news then. I can't wait for the review after your ride tomorrow, Thanks!

Can anyone comment on the compatability to my bike. The rack is a universal fit for a 29er w/discs so I'm assuming it should work but I like to be sure before I buy something.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    i have yet to hear a bad thing about the topeak or the trunk bag. i think most people end up using a piece of inner tube around the seat post to give a bit more grip.

edit: sorry, i was thinking of the seatpost beam rack kind.
    Last edited by Bill in Houston; 08-20-2012 at 10:57 AM.

mtbr member
    If you have the threaded holes near the dropouts on your frame you should be good. If you don't you'll need clamps to attach the frame to your chain stays. They sell those clamps for $4-5 on Amazon, but you can go to Ace Hardware and buy wire guide clamps for @ $0.75 each. They sell them in various sizes from 1/2 inch up to 1 1/2 inch and they are rubber coated. If you don't have the upper brazons for the upper brace, you can buy a seat post clamp you can attach the brace to, they run $10-15 and most LBS seem to have them.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    If you don't have the upper brazons for the upper brace, you can buy a seat post clamp you can attach the brace to, they run $10-15 and most LBS seem to have them.
    What exactly are these. I'm still a little unfamiliar with the bike terminology . My frame has the holes for the mounting bolts in the drop outs so I'm good on that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    So after a good ride in this morning I can report that the bags/rack work great. The only problem was in lining my feet up properly on the pedals so that I was not hitting my heels on the bag - that will probably be less of an issue on a 29er.

I normally will not even need to expand the sides, but did so today. Contents were:

really big laptop (15.6" screen) in a protective portfolio
    business clothes (shirt/pants)
    shoes
    toiletries bag
    towel (almost forgot that!)
    tube/ pump and tire lever
    U-lock
    Some other miscellaneous items

I was really amazed at how much I can put in the top section, the zipper opens to expand it even more than it appears.

Next items up to add to the mix:

Lights
    protective rain cover

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That's good to hear. I hope the 29" helps with hitting the bags. I'm probably going to get mine on their way in the next few days. The trunk bag didn't happen to come with the rain covers did they?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    No, rain covers are extra

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    If you look at the upper bracket, where the rack attaches to the frame, those would be brazeons. Some bikes have them, some don't. If yours doesn't, no biggie, just get the clamp and you're golden.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I see that now that you say it. My bike has them so I'm good on that as well.

I was just looking on eBay and was wondering what the difference is between the Mtx and the Rx bags?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Had some light rain this morning, no issue on the bag. I put a plastic garbage bag and a bungy inside one of the side panels in case there is ever a lot of rain. I think the rain covers might be overkill for me, if it is that rainy, I will just drive, I have that option.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah I'm in the same boat, if it's to bad especially in the morning before work I can just drive. I'm still not worked up to commuting everyday yet anyways. Still need a rest day or two a week. I didn't price out the rain covers yet but don't think I'll waste my time.

Topeak-Ergon Racing
    @SpecialiedJim - the RX bags are a smaller line of bags meant to go on the beam style racks. The MTX bags have more capacity.

Topeak also offers DryBags in various forms for more weather protection: TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories

Eddie O

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    One nice feature of the bag is that the top is really designed as a u-lock holder. there is even a bungy cord to hold it in:

Members who have read this thread: 0