topeak explorer rack w/ no r. tri mounts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

topeak explorer rack w/ no r. tri mounts

I am interviewing for a new job and to keep my hopes alive I'm fantasizing that I'll get it. Its 4 miles from my house which means I'll get to commute with my Surly 1x1 single speed.

I'm looking to put a topeak explorer rack on it but the surly 1x1 doesn't have a rear triangle mounts for a rack. I posted this in the Surly forum but was wondering if I can get any opinions on how to mount the rear traingle bars to a frame that doesn't have the mounts.

I'm wondering if I can get them to reach the seatpost? If so, any ideas on mounting them there. Drilling a hole through the seatpost is what first came to mind but images of a cracked post and me dead on the side of the road came second. A seatpost clamp that had mounts would be cool if they would reach (maybe I should make that, market it, and be rich...hmmm).

Thanks for any ideas

mtbr member

disregard

I found a seatpost clamp with braze-ons for the mounts....half way through typing the post I thought about the idea, then figured....ehhhh...someone has to have thought of that first

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    hey muddy...post some links to those parts ...

is that a problem with any 1x1 frame? (old or new)....I'm not sure what do you mean about rear triangle bars mounts.

I'm thinking about building a 1x1 commuter in the near-mid future (I hope) and definitely want a rear rack...thanks!

Edit: are you using discs?
    Last edited by martinsillo; 12-04-2009 at 10:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo
    hey muddy...post some links to those parts ...

is that a problem with any 1x1 frame? (old or new)....I'm not sure what do you mean about rear triangle bars mounts.

I'm thinking about building a 1x1 commuter in the near-mid future (I hope) and definitely want a rear rack...thanks!

Edit: are you using discs?
    Frame bought in 2006
    I think I'm using the right terms: braze-ons-mounts that are on the upper part of the rear triangle (welded on i think) where the rack would mount to
    see thread in the Surly forum too....
    problem is I can't find a seat post collar with the braze-ons in 30.0mm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    hey muddy, do you already have your explorer rack? anyways... check PM

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

martinsillo....

the Surly 1x1 doesn't have seat stay brazeons for rack mounting, the older and the newer frames included. The bike really wasn't designed as a commuter so Surly didn't think it necessary. Muddy has the solution with the seat post clamp that has the mounts incorporated into it. But as noted, finding the correct size can be problematic.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Thanks Squash...I really want to use huge tires (big apples, fat franks or something) and have space for mudguards...I also want to try SS off-road to give my soon new pugs a rest sometimes..so... I think the 1x1 will be a good choice

Edit: check what dwnz did here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=563072
    Last edited by martinsillo; 12-05-2009 at 08:37 AM.

mtbr member

finished with bike

See: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...67#post6420667

Surly, 1x1, commuting, topeak, explorer rack, braze-ons, MTX, DXP, tugnut, seat collar

(some buzzwords for thread searchers)

weirdo
    Good deal- that Explorer really fits well and it looks like a lot of setback to give you good heel clearance. Nice to hear the good words on Surly`s customer service, too.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So you didn't get the job eh?

mtbr member

no...i got it

Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    So you didn't get the job eh?
    I got it. I start mid-jan. 3 mile commute. Did a practice run in a few inches of snow. took me less time to bike there than it takes me to drive in my current job.

Members who have read this thread: 0