Tone Down the Tirades Against Cyclists- Mtbr.com
    since 4/10/2009

mtbr member
    It's nice to see more pro-cycling articles. Nothing ground breaking here, but it's better than nothing. I did a good job of avoiding the comments.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Re: Tone Down the Tirades Against Cyclists

Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    It's nice to see more pro-cycling articles. Nothing ground breaking here, but it's better than nothing. I did a good job of avoiding the comments.
    The comments are always the best and worst part. My wife has forbidden my reading of them, lest I get sucked down that hole...

Clueless Bastard
    The author "gets it" because he rides. If you don't, you don't. It's just that simple.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    this is in response to the horrible blogger at the wapo that said some people might be justified if they wanted to hit cyclists. I really think they shouldn't publish things like that, it's irresponsible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I drive most of the time and cycle every so often. Working 12 shifts is tiring and getting in the bike afterwards is the last thing you want to do. I do ride often.
    There are idiots on both sides of the argument.
    People should watch out for each other regardless of how you commute.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trident167 View Post
    I drive most of the time and cycle every so often. Working 12 shifts is tiring and getting in the bike afterwards is the last thing you want to do. I do ride often.
    There are idiots on both sides of the argument.
    People should watch out for each other regardless of how you commute.
    Yes, but cyclists aren't on the internet joking about how it would be funny for drivers to get in accidents. How often do we see comments on these stories joking about cyclists getting hit by cars though? Cyclists aren't yelling at drivers for just being on the road, but we get yelled at all the time even when doing nothing illegal. Sure, there's jackass cyclists too, but let's be honest here, drivers are in the wrong more often than not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sure, there's jackass cyclists too, but let's be honest here, drivers are in the wrong more often than not.
    I commute on a bike daily in Germany.

It's bicycling heaven... except for the bicyclists (and the pedestrians).

The bike lanes are well designed and generous, and the cagers are well accultured to looking out for bikes.

The problem is the jackass bicyclists riding down the wrong side of the road, turning without signalling, etc. etc. etc.

Almost as bad are the pedestrians, who dawdle across the bike path without looking, stand in the bike path, or just walk down the bike path.

In several years, knock wood, I've never made contact with a car, but I've crashed once because another bicyclist goofed, and I've crashed twice because I hit errant pedestrians (never mind all the errant pedestrians whom I've hit, but who didn't cause me to crash).

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm not defending anyone here but there are more drivers than cyclists where I live so there would be more jackass drivers obviously.

mtbr member
    Yes, but cyclists aren't on the internet joking about how it would be funny for drivers to get in accidents. How often do we see comments on these stories joking about cyclists getting hit by cars though?
    I really wish we could get away from the term "accident" to describe this. The word accident implies it was unavoidable, and no one's fault. When a motorist rams a cyclist the correct word is "murder" not accident.

that earlier WP editorial by Courtland Milloy which basically said murdering people was ok so long as they belonged to a group he doesn't like, was a new low for the WP; the old dinosaur that no one cares about anymore has sunk to shock-jock style attention grabbing. Similar editorials have ended careers, let's hope it does the same for Milloy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer74 View Post
    I commute on a bike daily in Germany.

It's bicycling heaven... except for the bicyclists (and the pedestrians).

The bike lanes are well designed and generous, and the cagers are well accultured to looking out for bikes.

The problem is the jackass bicyclists riding down the wrong side of the road, turning without signalling, etc. etc. etc.

Almost as bad are the pedestrians, who dawdle across the bike path without looking, stand in the bike path, or just walk down the bike path.

In several years, knock wood, I've never made contact with a car, but I've crashed once because another bicyclist goofed, and I've crashed twice because I hit errant pedestrians (never mind all the errant pedestrians whom I've hit, but who didn't cause me to crash).
    You need to focus more on crash avoidance

mtbr member
    ^^ Jeff, I suspect that these are likely not your average Calgarian Pedestrians. That is a lot of contact even if one was trying to hit them!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    You need to focus more on crash avoidance

Or I need a louder bell. Or an air horn:

Airzound Horn

I'm not kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^^ Jeff, I suspect that these are likely not your average Calgarian Pedestrians. That is a lot of contact even if one was trying to hit them!
    I commute through a busy city, and there are a lot of bikes and even more pedestrians.

Usually the pedestrians hear the bell and jump out of the way. Sometimes they don't, and it's a close call. Every once in a while they jump right in the way, and then it's a yard sale...

Now that I think about it, it was two bicyclists and one pedestrian who took me down.

The nice thing about pedestrians is that 29" wheels roll right over them...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer74 View Post
    Or I need a louder bell. Or an air horn:

Airzound Horn

I'm not kidding...

I commute through a busy city, and there are a lot of bikes and even more pedestrians.

Usually the pedestrians hear the bell and jump out of the way. Sometimes they don't, and it's a close call. Every once in a while they jump right in the way, and then it's a yard sale...

Now that I think about it, it was two bicyclists and one pedestrian who took me down.

The nice thing about pedestrians is that 29" wheels roll right over them...
    Not sure about other states, but in MA it's illegal for bikes to beep at pedestrians. I'm guessing because of jackasses riding on the sidewalk who beep at everyone like they own the sidewalk.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Not sure about other states, but in MA it's illegal for bikes to beep at pedestrians. I'm guessing because of jackasses riding on the sidewalk who beep at everyone like they own the sidewalk.
    Where I ride in California, it's a bike/recreation path, and ringing a bell is normal.

In Germany, using the bell is compulsory the cops stop bicyclists and do "equipment inspections," and a bicycle can't legally be ridden on the street without a bell (and a light, and reflectors, etc.).
    It's totally normal here to ring the bell at pedestrians who are in the bike path, or who look like they might wander across it.

since 4/10/2009
    never heard of a law prohibiting cyclists from audibly alerting peds. It's actually a requirement here that bikes be equipped with bells, though nobody does equipment checks or enforces such a law. I'm sure it's one of those laws that's only there for the police to enforce after an incident occurs and they can just pile the charges on you.

mtbr member
    ^^ Which is one reason I have a bell! Nice and legal!

"Not sure about other states, but in MA it's illegal for bikes to beep at pedestrians. I'm guessing because of jackasses riding on the sidewalk who beep at everyone like they own the sidewalk."

Not coming up with it googling. The sites I did find recommended using a warning of some kind. So the exact wording of that law would be of interest.

mtbr member
    I just re-read the law and I think I misunderstood it initially. It says on massbike.org:

"You may not use a siren or whistle on your bike to warn pedestrians."

Sorry for the confusion!