Tires for my Monkey- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tires for my Monkey

Hey,

I'm looking for a good set of tires for commuting on my karate monkey. I want something with reasonable rolling resistance, flat protection, and some suspension from the tires.

I was looking at the Schwalbe big apples. Do I go with the 2.0 or 2.35? I have also heard good things about Michelin City tires. They are a lot cheaper but they are much narrower at 47c.

I don't know how I feel about such a narrow tire on the monkey, but the Big Apples are over twice the price.

I'm sure there are other options that I am not aware of, enlighten me please.

Thanks,
    Winky

mtbr member
    OK, I have a little experience running the Monkey as a commuter/road bike and here are some thoughts. At first I ran it using my WTB Nanos and they really rolled quite fast @ 60 PSI, but not fast enough to keep up with the faster roadies guys, so I started searchign for something fast, but not small.

As it happens the local shop brought in some Tioga City Slickers in 38mm width, so I bought them and gave them a shot. I really like them, they roll really fast and actually measure 40mm wide on my rims, plus somehow, they actually seem to ride more plush @75 PSI than the Nanos did/do @ 60 PSI I think it's because they have a quite thin sidewall which helps. They're definitely a lot cheaper than Schwalbes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A lot of people love the Big Apples, but to me they were just too heavy. The weight really slowed down acceleration from a stop. Also, the 2.35 version can interfere with the cable on V-brakes if run all the way forward. One last drawback - you have to deflate the tires to remove them if you are running V-brakes. Positives? - They looked really cool on the Monkey,they added some cush to the ride, they have a nice reflective stripe, and they are tough.

If I still had the Monkey, I'd be looking for something a bit narrower.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Alot of people like the Panaracer Pasela, which is fairly inexpensive, yet supple and fast and all those things. Comes in a regular version and a "tour guard' version.

Vittoria Randonneuer is another one. It has a reflective stripe for added safety.

Currently I'm riding 37mm Continental Contacts, which came stock on my LHT (actual measurement is more like 35mm). They aren't particularly supple or fast, but have been VERY flatproof and longlasting. They work really well on dirt roads too. I think those can be had pretty cheaply too.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    One last drawback - you have to deflate the tires to remove them if you are running V-brakes.
    Couldn't you just open the noodle?
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Couldn't you just open the noodle?
    No - they won't go past the brake pads without being deflated.
    (That's with the noodle released from the brake).

Members who have read this thread: 0