tires for commuting / XC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

tires for commuting / XC

I'm currently running a Tioga DH on the back, and some sort of blocky looking Kenda on the front of my commuter bike (Norco Kokanee - no suspension).

Looking for tires that can handle light trail riding (dry, mostly hardpack), but that are reasonably decent for commuting. Oh, and cheap, too. And that will make me irresistable to women. And help get me a promotion at work.

Other considerations: Rider and pack about 220 lbs, broken glass on roads is a consideration.

Bedwards Of The West
    A Kenda Small Block 8 or similar hardpack conditions tire with closely spaced knobs will wear a bit slower on pavement than a more 'serious' XC tire. I'm always surprised at how fast good tires can wear on pavement. If you're talking about really 'light' trail riding, than I'd go for a more road-oriented tire like these: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...1511000_400237

Continental makes a few road oriented tires that do OK with light trail riding too, but they are more pricy.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

conjoinicorned
    the most underrated and IMO only dual use tire that actually works is the wtb nanoraptor.

wears like iron, shockingly quiet on the road but surprising offroad grip (in the dry) all with high volume casing (2.1 width) and fast rolling.

semi-slicks are deathtraps (no, really...they don't work no matter what claims you may hear on the internet), and as commuterboy mentioned true MTB tires will wear so fast it doesn't matter how cheap they were...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Conti's traffic tires should fit most of the bill but, as previously mentioned, they're not uber cheap.

~$30 dollars each, and my poor braking habits shorten their life, ~1600-1700 miles mostly commuting and the rear needs to be replaced.

Oldie
    I run these

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...category=10000

I ride 10 miles of pavement to the trail head and at 40psi they roll pretty good. The rounded tread design helps with cornering on black top and hard pack, you just can't expect much from these tires in the mud or really loose conditions.
    "You don't need a lighter bike, you need bigger muscles"

No-Brakes Cougar
    Michelin Country Rocks: 26 x 1.75" with inverse tread and slow wearing compound. Only for the lightest of light XC, but it's doable. I've done it. But trust me, steep and loose is simply not possible, otherwise they're a great all around tire.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    the most underrated and IMO only dual use tire that actually works is the wtb nanoraptor.

wears like iron, shockingly quiet on the road but surprising offroad grip (in the dry) all with high volume casing (2.1 width) and fast rolling.

semi-slicks are deathtraps (no, really...they don't work no matter what claims you may hear on the internet), and as commuterboy mentioned true MTB tires will wear so fast it doesn't matter how cheap they were...
    Looks like they got pretty good reviews, but I have to ask: where the h*ll are people buying them for 7 to 10 dollars each? Best price I have seen so far is about 40.00

mtbr member
    Not exactly cheap, but how about Kozmik Lite II? They now come in 26x1.75 and can be run up to 80psi. IMHO good balance of good protection, good rolling speed, decent dry trail use, and lightweight. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    +1 on the Small Block 8's. Nails 2 out of 3 - not sure how the price fits your budget.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have about 300 miles on my Serfas City Drifters.2.0 width. I have only about 5 miles of easy mountain biking with my fiance who is leaarning to ride. I would definetly go with these. 26 bucks at REI.

mtbr member
    I'm a fan of the cheap version of WTB Nano Raptors. You can pick them up for about $10-12 per tire online. It handles dry stuff pretty well, but they're not great in the mud. They are fast on the trail and not too draggy on the road. I doubt you can do much better for $20 and change.

(I'm not sure how the chicks will react to your NanoRaptor, but at least you'll have some extra dough to throw their way.)

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Conti Traffic's are a very good tire IMO. They roll almost as fast as slicks on the road and still handle great off road. They are also more puncture resistant than semi slick XC specific tires. Kenda SB8's are fast on dirt but suck on pavement, and puncture easy on either. Nano's are great tires, but are slower than Traffic's on pavement and don't really perform that much better off road.

Members who have read this thread: 0