tire weight- Mtbr.com

Thread: tire weight

mtbr member

Listen! tire weight

I just bought a couple of Performance Gotham tires for my commuter. Feels heavy-- these tires are 930 grams. (26 x 1.75").

I'm not a weight weenie, but don't want the weight of a tire to slow my commute or negatively effect handling. Your opinion is much appreciated. TIA

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I will trade puncture resistance for weight any day. I don't ever want to have to change a tube on the way to work.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Yup, what Ryball said. And I wouldn't worry too much about the weight affecting your performance. At first, it may feel harder to get them up to speed but once you get rolling you probably won't even notice. If anything, it will probably feel more stable, even in turns.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

weirdo
    I think you can get 1.5s down to about 500g. They`re fairly cushy too, but obviously not as much as 1.75s. You`ll have to decide whether you want an extra little bit of cusion or an extra little bit of acceleration- not a whole lot of difference either way IMO. You might want to just keep on truckin with the ones you have now and buy 1.5s when it comes time to replace them so you can judge for yourself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    On a geared bike it doesn't make much of a difference. I rode 900gr tires on mine for a while but recently changed them out for something about 200gr lighter, but just as puncture resistant but narrower. It feels a bit faster. The difference is that you can feel tire weight a lot more on a fixed gear. I can get my Pugsley up and moving and it's geared.

bi-winning
    You could save nearly a pound of rotational weight. There are some flat resistant tires under 700g a piece.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I don't find...

that tire weight makes that much of a difference on a commuter. Tread design or lack thereof makes a much bigger difference. And I agree with rybal, I'll trade a bit of weight for puncture resistance any day.

But with that said, 930g for a smooth commuter tire, puncture resistant or not, does seem a bit on the high side! My current commuter tires weigh in at 550g and that's for 26x2.0s. They aren't advertised as "puncture resistant" but do an admirable job in that respect. And as noted, there are significantly lighter tires out there that are puncture resistant. But then not at the same price as the Gothams either.

Anyway, I'd run em till they wear out and maybe spring for a bit more cash if you want to go lighter.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member

thanks to all replies

Much appreciated!

Members who have read this thread: 0