tire size for the commutation?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

tire size for the commutation?

sup mtb peeps?

commuted to work today (yea), for the first time in a while.

what tire size do you guys run on your mtb for the commute?

i have a set of 1.9" wtb all terrain for my commute, i think they're great, but maybe go skinnier eventually at least on the rear tire? in the woods i got 2.2" kenda nevrgal in rear & in front the wide 2.4" conti mtn king

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

26x1 Continentals

When I ride an MTB to commute.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I will ride anything that is on the damn bike if I am to lazy to change the tire, happens after a weeknight ride in the mountains...

So 2.3 x 26 Conti Verticals, I will try to pump them up if I am not too lazy.

If I can get it up to change them I will put on 1.2 X 26 Conti Sport Contact slicks.

Normally that means Mon Tues Wed on the slicks Wed night on the knobbies, Thurs on the knobbies, then I will put the slicks back on Fri or Sat depending on the ride we have planned for the weekend....

Daughter is into road rides, I am more into mtb rides...but whatever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've used both Michelin City and Schwalbe Marathon Cross tires, both in 47mm size. Both are a little heavy but have Aramid/Kevlar-like puncture resistant belts and reflective stripes on the sidewall. The Michelins are a superb urban tire, essentially a slick, they roll fast and are puncture resistant.

Since I commute on a MTB, it was ironic that I was avoiding most trails because of my tire choice. Any slick is dismal on trails. I switched to the Schwalbe Marathon Cross's since they have similar features but have enough tread to handle most off-road tral riding. They're a little slower rolling than the Michelin's but are surprisingly capable on the trails.
    Definitely the best all-around MTB commuter/touring tire available imho.

mtbr member

Vredestein Moiree Commuter Tire

Vredestein Moiree Commuter Tire

26x1.3

for under 15 bux what's not to like?

i bought a couple of Vredestein's for my new carbon road bike, and i already prefer them to the conti's i was running (the Vredestein is black and blue, my contis' were black or blue)

Bedwards Of The West
    Forte' city slicks from performance bike for me... 8.99 a pop. I think they're 1.5's
    Also look at the Forte' Versa-Trac for a dual-purpose option. I used them for a couple of years and they're pretty solid....very fast rolling street friendly mtb tire.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

in da house CREW
    Dec 2007
    i just recycle my mtb tires, take them off the mtb and throw them on the commuter. usually irc mythos II, nothing like getting 4-5000 miles off a set of tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    For commuting, a tire with a puncture-resistant belt is highly desirable. I've yet to get a flat (knock on wood) since I've used 'em for commuting. I certainly wouldn't feel confident commuting on a pair of bald former knobbies on Chicago streets.

mtbr member

WTB All Terrainasaurus 26x1.95 in. (47/47) Comp Tire

WTB All Terrainasaurus 26x1.95 in. (47/47) Comp Tire

i like these for commuting and am thinking about leaVING them on for my next race since the nevegal and conti both flatted when i cycled at a rockless joint for the upcoming mtn man biathlon

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Depends on the road conditions.....

for the roads around here I usually stick with a pavement specific 26x1.9 or larger tire. Too many pot holes, rr crossings, poorly executed expansion joints and such on the roads on my commute route. Anything much smaller and it just beats the crap out of you. But with riding an FS bike that wouldn't be too mcuh of a concern I would think. But then I run a ridged "converted" MTB as my commuter. I'm currently running 26x2.0 Bontrager Inverts. But they stopped making them this year! For snowy contditions I'll just use a full knobby, and as winter wears on and things get icy I'll pull out the studs. Like I said, just depends on the conditons, both road and weather.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I try out a few variety of sizes. IMHO, 1.75 and 1.5 is the best for commuting. 1.95 proves and above proves heavy and not quick enough. 1.3 is even lighter but u need to take a good look out for gaps on pavement and drain cover.

1.75 and 1.5 are light and fast enough while capable of handling light trail shortcut,debris on roadside and up pavement kerbs.

mtbr member

tyres

IMHO, 1.75 and 1.5 is the best for commuting.
    agreed

i came down the same busy intersection today of u.s. 80 and 17 today on the road bike as the commute home yesterday w/1.95" atb and it's just not the same, the bumps, potholes, sewer greats are not an issue on the wider tire, w/ 23c vredstein one wrong move could prove fatal

on the ride home i pass through 2 to 3 blocks of off road i flew through on the 1.95" where 3 kids could hardly cycle at all

one caveat: i picked up some commuter off road inverted knobbies last year and there style on my semi retired mtb that saw one nice ride this summer the catskills ny scouting out an up coming mtb race at reidlebauer's resort

No-Brakes Cougar
    I currently run 26 x 1.75" Michelin Country Rock tires. With an inverse tread pattern they are a good compromise between speed and cushioning. I'm probably going to go with something wider for my next set though. I had some rough roads and an aggressive riding style to contend with so I'm not worried about extra weight or rolling resistance.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0