Tire Clearance

Printable View

• 12-14-2016
    p08757
    Tire Clearance
    I just purchased some Schwalbe Winter studded tires for my old road bike size 700cx30. How much clearance do I need between the tire and the brake caliper? I have about 2mm of clearance. Is that enough?

Thanks!
  • 12-14-2016
    jeffscott
    Yup as long as it clears when the brakes are applied....snow doesn't pack up as bad as mud.
  • 12-14-2016
    jmart10
    yep that is enough space
  • 12-16-2016
    p08757
    I only asked because someone told me that if by chance a small stone greater than the gap got caught in the tread it could stop the wheel and send me over the bars. Is this a possibility, or am I safe?
  • 12-16-2016
    jeffscott
    Studs would not make a difference....and I have had tight clearance tires with no problems
  • 12-16-2016
    leeboh
    Ice buildup? Or wheel wobble? Should be fine. Got a cross frame for more room?
  • 12-16-2016
    Volsung
    You may lose paint when your frame flexes. I learned that the hard way
  • 01-21-2017
    jeffpoulin
    Quote:

Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    I only asked because someone told me that if by chance a small stone greater than the gap got caught in the tread it could stop the wheel and send me over the bars. Is this a possibility, or am I safe?

You're safe. The stone will most likely just get pulled out of your tire tread. Worst case is the stone/shard/whatever will be forced into your tire resulting in a cut or flat.