Tire advice for a single speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Tire advice for a single speed

My commute is about 35 miles round trip. I live in Sacramento so it's pretty flat. There is little debris where I ride, but I really don't want to be dealing with a flat on my way to or back from work. I have a Raliegh Back Alley single speed. The tires that came on it are:
    Vittoria Randonneur Road Tire
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...B2KEFRBPF3X5PJ

I've been looking at these:
    Serfas Seca Survivor Tire
    Serfas Seca Survivor Tire - 700 x 23 / 25 / 28 at REI.com

I just noticed the red showing on my other tire. They were the ones that came on the bike. I don't know if it would be worth my while to get a slick tire or if I'm better off with something like what I have now. The front tire isn't showing as much wear as the rear but I would assume it would be in my best interst just to replace them both if I decided to go with another tire. I noticed that the Serfas could air up to 125 as compared to the 85 of my current tires. How would that help?

Any advice or bantering is welcome.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

Fat-tired Roadie
    You already have a slick tire. The presence or absence of sipes doesn't do much.

Tire width effects weight and how much air you push. Generally on a racier setup, you'd want 23mm or 25mm tires. I'm not crazy about tires that skinny for commuting, but I also don't commute as far as you.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Moderator Moderator
    125 psi would be a pretty harsh ride, especially if your roads are not smoothly paved. As you go skinnier, the ride gets harsher too. If I did that commute daily, I would tend to prefer to sacrifice a couple minutes speed rather than comfort. I think a little wider tire also helps with traction if you commute in bad weather. That said, I've never tried Serfas tires.

mtbr member
    I ran 100psi in my road bike with 700x28's and it felt pretty good, much better than when I was 15psi higher. However I was not loaded down like I am when I commute. I currently run 1.5's on my commuter and I am thinking about going wider.

jrm
    mtbr member

25 or 28c panaracer tservs

rode these on my SS between davis and downtown sac one summer while on a professional job rotation and ride um now here in the BA. Seldom do i flat using these. i air mine up to 110-120psi. The key to retaining this psi is using 25 to 35c tubes.

mtbr member
    I ended up going with the same tire that is currently on the bike. I was thinking that it would be similar to my motorcycle where as you replace two rear tires to your one front. None-the-less after recieving the new rear I'm not sure if the front will make it as long as it takes to replace the rear again. I read some reviews on the Panracer Tservs. Looks like a pretty solid tire. I'm currently using the 28's that on the tire only say to max inflate to 85psi. I should have probably made a second post about my tire pressure question. Is there a significant speed increase in those upper psi ranges or are you just taking away some cushion for a nominal difference?
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

Fat-tired Roadie
    It's maybe more like four rear tires to one front. And, I think too much pressure is a speed decrease and taking away some cushion.

Experiment with your tire pressure. Look for ride comfort and good handling. My road bikes are at a pressure that I think handles well and doesn't beat me up. That it's fast is icing on the cake.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0