Thought you may like this. Cheap USA made panniers.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Thought you may like this. Cheap USA made panniers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    having a picture helps...

since 4/10/2009
    I like these:

available from a local org

but the hot chick promoting the coroplast panniers makes me wanna buy one.

mtbr member
    Or go Ghetto. No top for these (yet). I have a front smaller pair, too. Less than $28 for the set including mounting hardware and bungee cords. The red and white (can't see the white on the white container in this photo) reflective tape cost twice what the containers did. They are heavy at six pounds for the set of four, and as aero as a barn door, but removable. The US made, corrugated (light), mostly recycled plastic concept is nice, though.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    My wife and I each have one on our town bikes. They are pretty handy. They are not gorgeous, but are better looking than any of the scrap options. Mind you, i'm not disrespecting kitty litter boxes, they work well too.

The Donkeyboxx works well, my only gripe is the stupid spelling. Why can't any company just spell the words in their name normally?! They are a little bit of a hassle to install/remove on a regular basis. They're more the kind of thing that you put on and leave on. That could be a negative if you need to remove them frequently.

A note: Throw a few extra zip ties in the box. My wife and i have each had a zip tie break, leaving the box only loosely attached to the rack. Having an extra makes it a 20 second repair. Otherwise you can use a shoelace or twist-tie or piece of road trash or whatever to temporarily tie it back on.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyS600 View Post
    The Donkeyboxx works well, my only gripe is the stupid spelling. Why can't any company just spell the words in their name normally?!
    While I agree in principle, I want to share that the real reason is trademarks. You can't trademark the words "donkey" or "box" or the simple combination of the two ("donkey box"), but if you misspell it in just about any way, it becomes unique and something you can trademark. It's the reason just about every trademark is a made up word, abbreviation, or stupid spelling.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    You can't trademark the words "donkey" or "box" or the simple combination of the two ("donkey box"), but if you misspell it in just about any way, it becomes unique and something you can trademark. It's the reason just about every trademark is a made up word, abbreviation, or stupid spelling.
    Ah, thanks for that. I`m with Troy in that intentional misspellings irritate the bejesus out of me, but at least I see a reason now.

Still not pannier related, but I want to plug another not-well-known company that offers cheap (relatively) US made bike stuff. J&G Cycleware is apparently now based in AZ, but sells goods made in Eugene, OR. They`ve been around for a while, but for some reason they don`t get much attention on any of the bike forums, so I hadn`t heard of them until a few months ago. I bought my first ever bike-specific (!) jacket from them, and it took a few weeks to grow to like it, but I dig it now. Mine was billed right on their werbsite as nonbreateable, so I knew what I was getting into as far as that goes. But it does have huge pit zips, which seem to be enough for me. At $45, it was a bargain. They also offer "breatheable" versions of their pants and jackets for more money, but still a fraction of the price that you have to shell out for Gore or S.P. I couldn`t say how well their breatheables do, but I`m happy enough with my "vinyl tablecloth material" jacket that I`d be willing to gamble on the nicer stuff if I were ever to want better.

Bicycle Clothing At Its Best--and Our Bicycle Clothing Is MADE IN OREGON!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Love this!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0