Thinking of making my SS commuter a 1x9- Mtbr.com
    since 4/10/2009

Thinking of making my SS commuter a 1x9

I built an On-One Pompetamine back in the fall and have been riding it as a SS since then. Where I currently live, SS works. The hills are pretty minor and doable, except for one.

That said, I'll be finishing up grad school soon and will be moving on this summer. I'm currently looking at most likely winding up somewhere in the PNW and the specific possibilities involve MUCH bigger elevation changes. Stuff I am just not equipped to SS on a SS road bike.

I figured that if I wanted to go geared in the future, I could simply buy a 2nd rear wheel with an Alfine, as that's what this frame is built for. However, I ran across some chain tensioners with derailleur hangers built in - one by DMR and the other by Problem Solvers. They're made to be used with a thru-bolt, but Surly has its tuggnut adapter washer that can be used with a QR. My hub's a QR, but it's a Shimano that should be able to be converted to a thru-bolt easily enough, anyway.

Pricing it out, It looks like throwing an external cassette on my existing wheelset and using a barcon shifter would be less expensive than building a whole other wheel with an Alfine hub.

Anyone ever done this? I won't be doing it now, but it looks like it'll be a nice option if needed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Pricing it out, It looks like throwing an external cassette on my existing wheelset and using a barcon shifter would be less expensive than building a whole other wheel with an Alfine hub.
    It sounds like your SS has a freehub rear hub w/ a cog and spacers and you would just use a cassette instead? A cassette plus derailer and... a downtube shifter, say, should be boatloads cheaper than an IGH wheel and shifter.

I got a freehub wheel (and cassette, derailer, and downtube shifter) for my SS and it is pretty simple to switch back and forth. I went geared for the fall and am back to SS for the winter glop season.

I went for 1x7 and I still have some crazy chainlines, I am keeping an eye out for something w/ fewer gears.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg View Post
    It sounds like your SS has a freehub rear hub w/ a cog and spacers and you would just use a cassette instead? A cassette plus derailer and... a downtube shifter, say, should be boatloads cheaper than an IGH wheel and shifter.

I got a freehub wheel (and cassette, derailer, and downtube shifter) for my SS and it is pretty simple to switch back and forth. I went geared for the fall and am back to SS for the winter glop season.

I went for 1x7 and I still have some crazy chainlines, I am keeping an eye out for something w/ fewer gears.
    looks like there are a number of hanger options for me. I've got a post over in drivetrain and have so far identified 4 different "generic" hangers that are made for use with track ends.

My hub is a Shimano 629 and converting it to a thru-bolt to work with the hangers without further need for adapters will be easy (though it COULD be used as a QR with another adapter if necessary).

The crankset I'm using is a triple and I'm using the middle position with a SS ring, so that should give me maximum flexibility for chainline. I think I'll use a mtb cassette rather than a road cassette for a wider range.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I built an On-One Pompetamine back in the fall and have been riding it as a SS since then.
    Which tires are you riding?
    On One writes on their website that max, tire clearance is only 35 mm - any chance to mount Vittoria Randonneur Hyper 42 mm tires?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    Which tires are you riding?
    On One writes on their website that max, tire clearance is only 35 mm - any chance to mount Vittoria Randonneur Hyper 42 mm tires?
    35mm with fenders. the wording on the website has changed a little since I bought mine. when I bought mine, the wording mentioned you could go bigger without fenders. and that's exactly what I do.

I actually have 32mm tires to go with my fenders.

I use 700x38 specialized crossroads for my summer tire. Specialized tires are commonly "bigger" than other brands, so tread carefully when trying a bigger tire. I have to push the wheel back a little farther when using these tires, and I had to use an Avid front disc adapter to get the caliper to work with 160mm rotors with my wheel in that position. that may be why On-One changed the tire size wording on their site because putting bigger tires in requires fussing with fit. up to 35mm, no fussing is necessary, though.

mine with the aforementioned crossroads tires

GITD Pompetamine | Pompetamine | Readers Rides - On One Bikes - doing it wrong for over a decade

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quick tip if you go 1x9. I broken off rear refector mount makes a nice DIY chainguide.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    Quick tip if you go 1x9. I broken off rear refector mount makes a nice DIY chainguide.
    Got a pic of this ghetto device?
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Mtn View, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    Here is mine with a bashguard:

from this thread:

https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-s...up-158959.html
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    Here is mine with a bashguard:

from this thread:

https://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-s...up-158959.html
    Pure awesome. Added nighttime safety, too (minimal maybe)

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post

Best I got while at work
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

Members who have read this thread: 0