Thinkin bout that Apple Koolaid- Mtbr.com
    weirdo

Thinkin bout that Apple Koolaid

Quiz time for the Big Apple riders on board. Do they have decently tough sidewalls? Are any of you using them on narrow rims?

Those are my main concerns. What I need is at least fair puncture protection (reviews look good in that department), easy rolling on pavement, and able to leap pointy rocks at slow speed. Light would be nice, but I`m willing to compromise there. Also in the running are Conti Travel Contacts, which would probably be better off the pavement, but I like to let her rip going down mountain highways and I don`t think that the edge knobs would hold well on the curves. (Or maybe they would?) Slowing down on those roads is not an option, whereas rocks and washboard usually keep me pretty slow on the fire roads anyway.

I think my rims are a little bit on the narrow side for 2.0s, but probably doable. Currently I have wire bead Maxxis Overdrives at 26 x 1.75, which are plenty tough and are wearing well, but very resistant to rolling and heavy. The last two sets were 1.75 T-Serve Messengers. Not so tough, but rode and rolled a lot better, and felt much lighter. Super comfy. They were also pretty expensive, and now I don`t see them at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a pair of BA 'liteskins' (just about no sidewall rigidity, if that's what you're asking about) on 19 and 24.5 mm rims w/ no issues. I never run them above 50 psi, and let them sag down to around 35 before I pump them back up again. I think they would work great for the riding you describe; I have used them for my own landspeed record, 44mph (then I stopped using a computer). I am on my 2nd pair (the 1st had pretty much had it after ~5k miles).

Bedwards Of The West
    Well you probably know my opinion... Mine are not the 'liteskins'...they are beefy. I have them set up tubeless, and I have run them down below 20psi, just for kicks. Normally run them at about 35/40. I have hit things that I know would have pinch-flatted a tube, and I've had no issues in that department. These are the first set of tires I'm going to get two years out of on the commute...with an oregon coast tour thrown in for good measure. 4200+ miles, 2 flats. I've done the rail trail on them a lot, singletrack on the commute sometimes... they are just an awesome tire in my opinion. I have the fatter ones (28x2.35) but other than being a little less squishy, the 2.0's should be awesome.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Thanks, guys. My rims are 24 outside, so probably around 19 inside. I think I`m going to try them. Actually, it isn`t like I haven`t been itching for some for a long time now. I guess I may as well have just ordered the danged things and dispensed with the formalities. I`m going to put the Apples on my commuter and move the Overdrives over to replace the dryrotted tires on our tandem.

Then if I don`t like them, I`ll blame CommuterBoy.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I'm running the 2.35 BA's on Mavic A 317 rims (622x17) with no problems. Obviously a pretty fat tire for a narrow rim, but I've ran them anywhere from 20-50 psi without issues. Usually keep them around 30-35 psi. They are heavy tires, but they feel almost invincible. 2.0's are more practical I imagine, as the 2.35's really are like balloons and aren't really needed, but they definitely encourage you to have fun.

weirdo
    I have a pair on the way now, so we`ll see if I get to throw any blame around
    I ordered the non-light version in 2.0, which were the cheapest, and probbly most suitable also. Just guessing that the sidewalls will be a little tougher than on the Lite-skins. Anyway, they should be here in plenty of time for a good trial in next month`s Death Valley week

Bedwards Of The West
    ^ Sweet. If you hate them I'll pay you pennies on the dollar for them, and build up a 26" bike just so i can use them.

Mine 29er ones have beefy sidewalls. They stood up by themselves as if they were on a rim, which impressed me right out of the box. I've never had a sidwall issue (or any issue) with them,
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I also got 20" x 2.0 big apples for my son back in the day. That bike (and those tires) have been handed down to his sister. Either one of them could ride it with basically no air in the tires but I try to get them to keep it pumped up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I have a pair on the way now, so we`ll see if I get to throw any blame around
    I ordered the non-light version in 2.0, which were the cheapest, and probbly most suitable also. Just guessing that the sidewalls will be a little tougher than on the Lite-skins. Anyway, they should be here in plenty of time for a good trial in next month`s Death Valley week
    Rodar please let us know how they ride. BTW you never mentioned what size rims you are mounting them to.

weirdo
    Umm... the story is kind of embarrassing, CS. I had both 26 x 2.0 and 20 x 2.0 Apples on my Amazon "wish list", and meant to order the 26s. When the box came, the tires were REALLY small (though the box could have held a major appliance), so it looks like I ordered the Little Apples by mistake. Since I was going to order a set of those too, I`m just holding on to them rather than return and reorder, but the funding won`t be available for another 6 to 8 weeks for the 26s. My rims are 19mm inside, and I`ll post back up when I have something informative to report.

jrm
    mtbr member

I vote for the Tservs

yeah you cant run over glass and such but they roll and wear pretty well w/o the huge weight penalty of the apples

mtbr member
    Rodar, folding bike fans swear by 16" and 20" big apples, eBay them with "folding bike" category, should get some of your $ back. Maybe "Dahon" in the title

weirdo
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I`ll keep them to use on other bikes- I have a recumbent with a 20 inch wheel in front and just bought a Bike Friday with the same 20 on both ends. Do you have a little wheeler too?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I`ll keep them to use on other bikes- I have a recumbent with a 20 inch wheel in front and just bought a Bike Friday with the same 20 on both ends. Do you have a little wheeler too?
    Yes i have two little wheelers: Brompton 6speed and a stainless steel Dahon. Ill have a recumbent someday...talk about comfort!.

Back on topic, ive read 2.0 Big Apples are the best compromise between comfort and speed for city commuting. i tend to error on the comfort side for hopping curbs and such, so im going with 2.15" because i already have wider 28mm rims that will allow me to safely inflate to higher range for when i need the speed and also deflate for the ruff stuff. But really ive no realworld experience with BA's yet cant wait

Members who have read this thread: 0