Things I'm learning on my 17.5 mile commute- Mtbr.com
    Human Test Subject

Things I'm learning on my 17.5 mile commute

I quit my stupid job last year and have been taking IT classes at a college a few towns over. I've been car free for 4 years so I'm not an amateur commuter, but I'm still learning things.

1- Winter gear for my new commute is vastly different than my old 4 mile one.
    2- 35 miles round trip will sunburn me even in April.
    3- Even my expensive waterproof jacket (Sugoi RSE) can't handle an hour and a half of constant rain
    4- Gas may be cheaper than the amount of food I have to eat now.
    5- It's still better than driving.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

Yeah!
    Food has always been more expensive, we just don't notice it when we're only doing a handful of miles a day. A banana and a Gatorade doesn't cost enough to care, and we might have eaten that anyway. I did about two hours last night, and added maybe 800 calories to compensate. That's a full meal, and even when prepared at home, that adds up and shows up on the grocery bill.

Sunburn... yes... I wear a hat for extended outdoor activities, because even in January you can get a slight burn on a cloudy day, in Kentucky. Protect thyself at all times!

The only piece of gear I've had in 40 years that didn't leak was a USMC poncho. A fairly brilliant piece of tech... no zippers, seams sealed like a tent. Your movement pushes air around, keeping you cooler and getting rid of moisture vapor. I've used one on the bike with some clips holding the front up so my knees aren't fighting the poncho, and the back covered my pannier. Not for high speeds.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

since 4/10/2009
    I've noticed that after an hour and a half of constant rain, I can't tell if my rain jacket is protecting me, or if the wetness is just my sweat.

I'm actually shortening my commute from 44mi RT to 4mi RT. Gotta say, I'm kinda excited for it. On some days, the 3 hours of commuting was a joy, but on most of the others, I really didn't look forward to it, so I drove. I kinda limited the 3hr commute to nice weekends when I didn't have other plans, which kept my riding days down.

With 4mi RT, I'll be commuting more often than not, which will be nice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I quit my stupid job last year and have been taking IT classes at a college a few towns over. I've been car free for 4 years so I'm not an amateur commuter, but I'm still learning things.

1- Winter gear for my new commute is vastly different than my old 4 mile one.
    2- 35 miles round trip will sunburn me even in April.
    3- Even my expensive waterproof jacket (Sugoi RSE) can't handle an hour and a half of constant rain
    4- Gas may be cheaper than the amount of food I have to eat now.
    5- It's still better than driving.
    Mine is 18 miles, not everyday though, 2-6 trips per week. I use the Neutrogena 70 sunblock, works well, no eye burn or smell. Eat a good breakfast, once before pedaling and once after I get to work. There are no bad bike commutes, only poor clothing choices. Try a showers pass jacket of some sort, highly recommended. Headwind is like a hill without a soul, gear down and suffer.

Winter gear is the real make or break of a long commute. If you can't trap enough body heat and still ventilate sufficiently to keep from getting sweaty, you're looking for serious trouble.

Human Test Subject
    I'm probably going to try the Refuge line of showers pass but I haven't found them on sale yet.

On my Sugoi soaking through, I could tell it wasn't sweat because it was 38 degrees out and only my arms were wet.

My Pearl Izumi OutDry gloves were soaking through too, but not as badly and my hands were still warm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Whatever jacket you get, it must have pit zips, must.

weirdo
    I`ve never ridden 90 minutes in constant rain. Big hand to you folks who do that!
    Recalculating....

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    ...it was 38 degrees out and only my arms were wet.
    You're far more dedicated than I am. 38F and rainy has got to top my list of least favorite weather for biking because the clothing choices are so challenging to stay comfortable. It's cold enough to need insulation, but not too much because it's not THAT cold out. Waterproof gear begins to act as vapor barrier and I start having sweating and ventilation issues. And that, in turn, often makes me cold again. Make a mistake in that kind of weather on a long commute, and it's 90 minutes of suffering. No thanks. Even though I hate driving, I'd rather drive.

Human Test Subject
    I had a smartwool t shirt on! I think any other short sleeve wouldn't have cut it. I started with a thin long sleeve ibex shirt too but was too warm and took it off under a bridge.

I was looking at Columbia's new OutDry extreme stuff at REI today. They're definitely not made for bike commuting. I need some good rain stuff for a trip to Iceland so I'll order the showers pass and stare at waterfalls in that.

10 miles in on my way home there's a nice tunnel to have a snack in. I have a pretty dope route that has 7 or so miles of trails, some wide shoulders, and almost a dozen ponds with frogs and turtles.
    Things I'm learning on my 17.5 mile commute-img_20160428_164542326_hdr.jpg

Bedwards Of The West
    Hey I have a rain gear suggestion

I'll refrain...
    But Kudos on the distance. My shortest option is just under 7... I usually do somewhere in the mid teens in the morning, and 8 on the way home. 17.5 with no shorter option is a pretty big commitment.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Headwind is like a hill without a soul, gear down and suffer.
    BUWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! I think this has to be THE all-time best quote I have seen on this site!!