• 10-14-2019
    turquoise
    Surly Straggler for flatish commute?
    I think I've landed on a surly straggler for a commuter / all around bike. I really want to get a steel frame for all the reasons steel is such a great material. The salsa vaya looks like it could work too but a little too upright position than I'd like. Anything else I should look at? Basically reqs are steel, disc brakes, fender mounts and 38c tire clearance, and not to spend over 1500. I'm just looking for frame/fork to to build it up myself, probably with older Rival or ultegra 10 speed, which I'll take any day over new Alvio or whatever the cheaper Shimano stuff is.
  • 10-15-2019
    jrm
    the straggler geometry is such that if you plan on riding in the drops youll need to use like 5"s of spacers. Kona Rove comes to mind...https://sellwoodcycle.com/collection...dventure-bikes
  • 10-15-2019
    vikb

I've had my Straggler for ~6 years and done a fair bit of commuting on it. My commute is flattish with a few mild rolling hills. It's a comfortable bike and fits a decent sized tire with fenders.

• 10-15-2019
    turquoise
    Kona rove is so close but it's 650b and I have a set of nice 700c queued up for this. The geometry looks more like a gravel race bike, more aero than a touring rig
  • 10-15-2019
    turquoise
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vikb View Post

I've had my Straggler for ~6 years and done a fair bit of commuting on it. My commute is flattish with a few mild rolling hills. It's a comfortable bike and fits a decent sized tire with fenders.

looks legit! nice fenders too. I think this is happening
  • 10-15-2019
    twodownzero
    I would recommend the Midnight Special. The Straggler is dated in a lot of ways and everyone swears at the rear dropout. The Midnight Special has the newest standards for everything and more modern geometry. The sizing on both is a bit weird, size down if you're used to conventional road bike geo.
  • 10-15-2019
    turquoise
    oh good call. I like the thru axles and this would work well with my 700c wheelset and 38c tires