Suggestions for winter/wet pants?- Mtbr.com
    V-Shaped Rut

Suggestions for winter/wet pants?

Hey all, I've got a pretty good run going since I started my new job commuting by bike 2 days/wk. A mild fall in the PacNW and it's been fairly warm and surprisingly dry.

I've been riding in wearing tights which has been fine. However we're getting into the time of year when I'll be out at 6:30am in high 30's low 40's and wet. I've got a lightweight rain shell and know how to layer so no worries there. But how about the lower half? I admit to being a little ignorant of what you wear to keep weather out but not overheat or get stuff snagged in the chain.

Any suggestions given the above?

I'd rather be on my bike
    A lot of people swear by this stuff. It is expensive.

https://www.showerspass.com/
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Windfront xc skiing pants.

Human Test Subject
    I've only needed them a few times so they haven't been put through the ringer yet, but my new Pearl Izumi pants seem to be a lot better than any I've tried before, including Showers Pass Skylines.

I wish Sugoi would make some out of the same stuff as their Neoshell jackets.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    A lot of people swear by this stuff. It is expensive.

https://www.showerspass.com/
    $$$ :-0

A friend of mine has some of their stuff. It is PacNW based so probably well suited. I'd drop the $$ on it if I was a fulltime commuter which who knows in the future.

I ended up getting the best ranked $30 pants I could find on amazon. Guess I'll put it to the test this winter and we'll see how it holds up and if I need something more quality/expensive. Thanks!

Bedwards Of The West
    I wear winter weight tights under some basic Columbia rain pants. Or sometimes shorts and leg warmers under the rain pants. They do the double duty of blocking the wind and keeping you dry if it's raining. I've gone through a couple pairs of rain pants...I think my last pair was Bellweather brand.. they held up a little better I think. But it's a great budget friendly system.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Did I catch a niner+?
    Amazon.com : 4ucycling men's athletic active thermal pants black Xl-gangsuo : Athletic Pants : Sports & Outdoors
    I've used these for a solid winter up in MN and it has been fine. We do not get rain during our winter (it has happened) so I am not overly concerned with how waterproof/resistant they are but its windproof up front and breathes on the backside.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    big_slacker I commuted here in Seattle year-round from 2008 till earlier this year when I started working from home. My recommendation is to just buy several pairs of tights and let them get wet.

I tried all manner of rain pants including Showers Pass. I never liked the fit of any of the pants and I would usually end up just as wet underneath due to sweat. Even the super breathable ones.

I think that the real issue keeping your lower body warm. I own three pairs of Pearl Izumi Elite tights and they kept me warm even when wet. When I got to work I would hang my clothes and let them dry for the ride home. The Pearl Izumi tights dry pretty fast. I was always warm and comfortable, even on the rainiest days. And honestly, it rarely rains heavy here, usually it's a light rain or drizzle.

Good luck.

I use Pearl Izumi Amfib Tights for wet. If it gets colder I'll layer other tights or under armor long johns l below them. In extreme cold (for me) I will throw on a pair of Columbia snow pants over tights to create some air space, but that's down in the +5 to -15 F range. For the most part, above 0F I can live with Amfibs layered with mid-weight tights and a pair of UA long johns.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    big_slacker I commuted here in Seattle year-round from 2008 till earlier this year when I started working from home. My recommendation is to just buy several pairs of tights and let them get wet.

I tried all manner of rain pants including Showers Pass. I never liked the fit of any of the pants and I would usually end up just as wet underneath due to sweat. Even the super breathable ones.

I think that the real issue keeping your lower body warm. I own three pairs of Pearl Izumi Elite tights and they kept me warm even when wet. When I got to work I would hang my clothes and let them dry for the ride home. The Pearl Izumi tights dry pretty fast. I was always warm and comfortable, even on the rainiest days. And honestly, it rarely rains heavy here, usually it's a light rain or drizzle.

Good luck.
    I agree with all of this. I do have a pair of actual rain pants but I probably only wear them a few times a year because they get just as wet underneath. These cold weather pants are somewhat rain resistant and are great for temps from 10F to 40F. Below 10F I add a layer of long underwear. They are slightly baggier than tights but are still tight-like. No pad, I normally wear thin bike shorts under them.
    Thermal Winter Windproof Tights - for Extremely Cold
    They are pretty expensive right now but they have sales often if you can wait. I got mine for $60. Get on their mailing list, the do heavy discounts.