Stupid Health- Mtbr.com

Thread: Stupid Health

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Stupid Health

I have beed bike commuting now for four months straight and loving it. I have not been able to ride do to the swine flu and now I am ready to get back on the bike. Woke up this morning ready for the work week and getting back on my bike and it is raining pretty hard. GRrrrrrr Though I did just get my rain pants in the mail yesterday may ride anyway will see what the next hour brings

Bedwards Of The West
    I spend about a week hacking and coughing with the swine flu, but I got the worst of it on a weekend and didn't miss any riding days... I felt like the bike ride was helpful because I was blowing snot rockets and hacking up goo all the way to work. The cough was annoying, but I think the bike ride helped me get over the congestion (still took a good week). I didn't get the super-weak, multi-day-fever that some people are getting though. That would have kept me off the bike and on the couch, I'm sure.

Do you have fenders? If you do, it shouldn't be a question...go ride!
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have had a cough for the last two weeks and a low grade fever for half that long. I have rear fenders. I do think the bike ride will help clear out my chest

I'm SUCH a square....
    The past two weeks has been the worst for me, as far as the cough/hack, since I quit smoking almost eight years ago. Didn't miss a ride, though; I found out that riding like I do is a good way to force the sh** outta my system faster. Plus, I don't suffer from it as much.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

No-Brakes Cougar
    Wow guys.... sorry to hear about the pork flu. Glad nobody dropped dead or missed too much time on the bike. A bike ride usually makes me feel better, or at least takes my mind of off whatever is ailing me.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    This is an interesting thread and actually something I was thinking of starting a thread on.

When you get sick, say a cold/flu, do you stop riding, and if so, how do you know when to start riding again?

I had a cold last week and had about 5 days off riding, but the last two days I was uming and ering about commuting again. I don't think the two extra rest days actually did me any good and I was probably better off riding after all...

So how do judge whether you should ride or rest?

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ for me, if I'm even having the debate, I'm going to ride. I'm pretty convinced that exercise is a great way to battle infection. If I'm healthy enough to go to work, I'm healthy enough to ride there. I have taken 3 sick days in the last 10 years.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It was raining pretty hard and I wimped out but I got on the bike yesterday and realized how much I missed ridding

mtbr member
    I typically try to ride and workout through a cold. I push the limits on a flu. the net effect seems to be that I feel better while I am working out, but then I have a hard time completely getting rid of all the symptoms. Sometimes they linger for months. 3 weeks ago I got a cold. continued to work out and although it subsided, I was still coughing a bit, then a week later boom, I got sick again. So, I haven't done squat in 2 weeks. I am sick of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I keep riding through my sicknesses. Usually the bad symptoms last a day. Mainly because if I don't keep riding, I won't go anywhere.

mtbr member
    I guess it also depends on the symptoms. A cold is probably the most common sickness and can cause various problems. Lsat week I had muscle weakness. For two days I really don't think I could have ridden my bike even if I wanted to. Just walking up two flights of stairs at school just about did me in!

My cold traveled downwards too - started with a sore throat for a couple of days, then I very nearly lost my voice completely for two days as it moved down and then finally started to get into the lungs a bit.

Maybe I'm a wimp but I just don't think riding at that time was gonna do me any good. But then again, I don't think I've actually tried! But this was the debate I was having with myself so maybe next time (and hopefully not for a LONG time!) I'll give it go.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Basically if you can ride without pain you should....

I had walking pneumonia a couple of years ago, all the docs said keep riding.

mtbr member
    Woah, that's really interesting - I had walking pneumonia myself early this year and it was pretty full-on. I'd never ever have considered riding my bike at that time but now I'm starting to doubt the "rest day" wisdom after the above comments.

Still, I know when I get a cold/flu I often just have no energy at all. I still doubt I could even make it to work on my bike, even if I wanted it and it was indeed the right thing to be doing.

I, for one, would love to hear more peoples opinion/experience on this topic.

Members who have read this thread: 0