Storm Dodging - Lightning Map- Mtbr.com
    CB of the East

Storm Dodging - Lightning Map

I found this new sight that records lightning strikes. It seems like a good resource to check to see if the storm headed your way will get you wet or dead. It gives a pretty good indication of the intensity and path of thunderstorms.

Lightning & Thunderstorms - live real time Google Maps

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ That's pretty cool. I usually use weatherunderground.com, and their wundermap (one of the top tabs) can show lightning if you check off the lightning box to the right of the map.

CB of the East
    The Weather Underground site seems to be getting progressively less reliable. I think the one I posted gives a better picture of it. wunderground.com is still my go-to site even thought I hate it.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Yeah, I have had a lot of trouble with their app saying "try later" lately.

mtbr member
    They have a phone app at

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cker.app&hl=en

Some of you may already be aware of

www.windy.com

People on Strava are more likely to be aware of it, I think.

They have an app as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...indyty.android
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

CB of the East
    ^^Thanks for the link to the lightning app.

Real Strava geeks use:
    https://mywindsock.com

mtbr member
    ^^ Alas, I balked at the monthly fee.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

CB of the East
    You get most of the functionality for free. I used the free version for about a year but am trying out pro now. And I've never been a premium Stava member.

Veloviewer is the other Strava geek site. That one you do need to pay for. The guy who runs it/writes it is great and I don't mind supporting him.

mtbr member
    Indeed. I was a premium strava and veloviewer guy for a few years back in the day.

I got off both for a few years in an ill-fated attempt to spend less time crunching meaningless numbers on the internet. I've since fallen off the wagon, but I have yet to open my wallet again for my resumed addiction.

CB of the East
    ...I can stop any time.

It keeps me interested enough to keep trying to better my time. That requires regular exercise and is a good incentive to avoid the Friday doughnuts that show up at work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    my main job is doing uber eats as a bike messenger, i also am a severe weather stormchaser so i have various weather apps on my phone as well as the ultraportable laptop i usually carry with at least on work days...helps keep from getting bored waiting for deliveries and seem to like the baron threatnet subscription service, it is pricey but i think i have one spot open on my subscription.... if your interested. it gives weather models, weather outlooks, real time radar as well as severe weather alerts and warnings and lightning detection and seems very accurite.

mtbr member
    Floods debilitate Toronto after massive downpour - CBC Player

At time index 00:30....as much fun as it is to watch speeding Toronto motorists splash into the underpass equivalent of an Olympic sized pool....

There is a streetcar up to it's roof in water directly in front of them. Even if they didn't see the other cars bobbing around .... how did they miss that?

These are the people I have to coexist with.

Co Springs
    I look at weatherbug for their lightning map and radar patterns / direction. Use it a lot and track weather some for work.

Been doing this for years starting with the real-time benefits when we used to take off for motorcycle rides. Hit some rain and hail so we looked up radar and pointed to another direction.
    The lightning is fun to track when you hear the big crack-boom and want to see how close. Many here are within a mile or three of my house fairly often.
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

CB of the East
    ^^I did that yesterday. I can get home by going north or south of a lake that is in the way. I chose the southern route yesterday based on the radar and hardly saw a drop. I could see the storm to my right the whole time with lots of lightening. If I hadn't checked the radar I would have been drenched.