Still looking for the ideal 26" tires- Mtbr.com
    Older than I feel
    Aug 2006

Still looking for the ideal 26" tires

I'm a Clyde, somewhere north of 200 lbs. I'm commuting on my old rigid MTB. I've been using a 26x1.25 front tire and a 26x1.50 rear, but got tired of the stiff ride. I recently upsized to 1.50 front and 1.75 rear to get a little more forgiving ride. I noticed, though, that the bigger tires add a lot of inertia.

My holy grail is tires that are lightweight, puncture resistant, and high volume. Cheap would be nice too, but at this point I'd be willing to pay extra for tires that met the first 3 criteria.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

mtbr member
    If I may make a suggestion. We make the XCR Road that I have used now for about 3 or 4 years commuting and it has worked perfect for me (also weigh a little over 200). To check it out, go to page 15 of this PDF. This tire is a 1.4 (not the biggest) but has a nice 60 tpi casing and a super fast rolling tread while only weighing in at 330g. I have found that this tire works great on just about all road surfaces except for ice (then I switch over to something else).

Hopefully this helps you out a bit. If not, feel free to ask me about any and all Michelin product.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Schwalbe Big Apples are nice. They are heavy, but that's where the momentum comes from. Once you get them rolling they keep on rolling. Very puncture resistance, huge volume, built in suspension. Great for a rigid bike.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    I was looking at the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 26x2.00 as a likely candidate, if that gives you a better idea. I live in Silicon Valley, commute on pavement, and generally don't ride in the rain.

All That is Man
    How long is your commute? You're going to start getting really slow with a big tire. I'm running some cheesy Performance (Forte) Speed Trac 1.75 tires. They are advertised as having flat protection and I haven't had one yet in the 500 miles I've used them. But I'll average 16-19mph on my one hour commute. More like a solid 18mph to work and 16-17 on the way back. I only keep them at about 65psi and I run with loaded rear panniers, so the bike is pretty heavy on top of my own 215lbs. They're way softer than the Ritchey Tom Slicks I tried at 85psi and not much slower. This is on an old Trek 930 Singletrack.
    John

conjoinicorned
    i run the tioga city slickers, they come in 1.25, 1.5, and 1.95. i usually run 1.5 rear 1.95 front for a bit of cushion on the rigid. they are high volume, fast tires and cheap as dirt (sometimes $10/tires) and last forever.

downside...a bit heavy (but i've never flatted one yet)
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    i run the tioga city slickers, they come in 1.25, 1.5, and 1.95. i usually run 1.5 rear 1.95 front for a bit of cushion on the rigid. they are high volume, fast tires and cheap as dirt (sometimes $10/tires) and last forever.

downside...a bit heavy (but i've never flatted one yet)
    +1
    before getting a crosscheck for my commuter I was running the city slickers 1.5 front and rear on an old mtb frame. Loved them.

IIRC I was running them around 60-70 PSI, but I'm a smaller guy than the OP (I weigh in at around 170 loaded for my commute). Since my route was 95% paved I liked the additional speed that came with the smaller size, but they could be a touch harsh.

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    My commute is only 6 miles each way and flat. But I do ride for transportation around Silicon Valley before and after work, as much as 17 mi. one way, sometimes over the local hills.

I've tried a few of the cheap skinny slicks over the years and I'm just not thrilled with their durability. Ferday's 1.5 front and 1.95 rear is close to what I had in mind.

Apr 2007
    Serfas Drifters - i put 1,700 miles on a pair commuting a 16 mile round trip in the Sierra Nevada foothills

Apr 2007
    that is 1,700 miles With Out a flat, period

President, CEO of Earth
    Continental Town and Country tires are tough and fast rolling, but I have had a fair amount of trouble getting them to mount straight on customer rims. When they go on properly they are top notch, tho.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I second the Continental Town and Country tires. I used these to commute and on a ridged Single speed mountain bike until I got ride of the bike. Over 7000 miles on the tires and I still have them just no 26erís to use them on. I wish they made them in 700cc or 29erís.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Performance has their Forte Gotham Road tires on sale for stupid cheap.
    26x1.75 for $9 a tire!
    Im also in the hunt for some city type tires so I can get some milage in when the trails are crappy (muddy). I like the Conti's but cringe at putting $60 into tires to be honest. Also, the Conti's are what the bike patrol uses on their Police bikes, guess they use them for a good reason.

Members who have read this thread: 0