• 04-26-2015
    alexk243
    Sticker for cars that cut you off?
    Does anyone know if there is anyone out there that makes stickers that you could slap on cars that cut you off? like "watch for bikes" or something similar.
  • 04-26-2015
    TenSpeed
    I don't know that doing such a thing is a good idea. People are very protective of their vehicles, and if you were to do that, and came across the wrong person, it could end up pretty ugly.
  • 04-27-2015
    Bokchoicowboy
    Reminds me of the bit the comedian Gallagher used to say: "Issue rubber-dart guns to every driver, and whenever somebody does something stupid, you can hang out the window and shoot him with a dart, which sticks on his car with a banner that says "Stupid". Then when the cops come along and see this car with darts sticking all over it, they can pull the guy over and give him a ticket for being stupid." I also heard him say a version with the ending "they can pull the guy over and give him a ticket for being an as*hole."
  • 04-27-2015
    BrianMc
    If a pedestrian with right of way in a crosswalk, who was almost hit by a driver, and who slapped the rear fender of the offending vehicle, then gets a talking to by police with mentions of "assault", then I don't see the sticker concept as working unless you sneak up on the car while the driver stops for donuts or something.

    The problem is that anyone upset with you for any reason could have his buddies in on plastering your car. It is a nice daydream reaction to idiots, though.
  • 04-27-2015
    big_papa_nuts
    Get a helmet camera, collect footage, post to Youtube, forward to local authorities via social media, effect real change.
  • 04-28-2015
    macgoohan
    Forget the sticker. Keep one water bottle full of corn syrup at all times, just in case you catch them at a light on a hot day. Remove lid, throw in back seat, ride away fast.
  • 04-28-2015
    big_papa_nuts
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macgoohan View Post
    Forget the sticker. Keep one water bottle full of corn syrup at all times, just in case you catch them at a light on a hot day. Remove lid, throw in back seat, ride away fast.

    ...and get in a fight.
    ...and get arrested.
    ...and get run over by pissed off driver.

    Seriously, if we want to be treated like adults we must act like adults.
  • 04-29-2015
    macgoohan
    Of course you wouldn't do that, especially when you could make pie with the corn-syrup. If you are thinking of a sticker, you should just just take it to the next, ridiculous, level according to my brand of mischievious humor. I say forget about the driver, and don't bother with videos.

    Regarding big_papa_nuts's comment: This is also ill-advised to think you will ever be thought of with courtesy ("as an adult") by the minority the of reckless drivers. The best advice is this, to treat all drivers as if they are going to act inconsiderately/recklessly/unpredictably. Its simple physics. You will lose in a collision regardless of fault, therefore, ride with vigilance and pretend you are invisible. Don't wait around for your town to become "bike friendly" or for some cultural shift (which wont include the minority of drivers that will injure/kill you).
  • 04-29-2015
    big_papa_nuts
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macgoohan View Post
    Of course you wouldn't do that, especially when you could make pie with the corn-syrup. If you are thinking of a sticker, you should just just take it to the next, ridiculous, level according to my brand of mischievious humor. I say forget about the driver, and don't bother with videos.

    Regarding big_papa_nuts's comment: This is also ill-advised to think you will ever be thought of with courtesy ("as an adult") by the minority the of reckless drivers. The best advice is this, to treat all drivers as if they are going to act inconsiderately/recklessly/unpredictably. Its simple physics. You will lose in a collision regardless of fault, therefore, ride with vigilance and pretend you are invisible. Don't wait around for your town to become "bike friendly" or for some cultural shift (which wont include the minority of drivers that will injure/kill you).

    Reckless driving and road rage can have roughly the same outcomes. I think trying to reduce the amount of people that want to kill you is a worthwhile task. And if your efforts result in things like protected bike lanes that should help with the reckless drivers too.

    Though I will agree that the old saying "ride like drivers are out to kill you, and pedestrians are out to kill themselves" is still good advice.
  • 04-29-2015
    BrianMc
    ^^ You left out decent, caring drivers who just plain screwed up. They can make you just as dead. No one's perfect all the time.
  • 05-06-2015
    alexk243
    haha thats funny
  • 05-07-2015
    755872
    I think the real answer is to affix small pieces of reflective tape to their cars inconspicously so we can see them coming at night. Maybe a good use for the Volvo glow paint.
  • 05-08-2015
    THE ARS
  • 05-08-2015
    citiznkain
    Not sure how the logistics of such a sticker would work. You get cutoff, so you pull a sticker out of your pocket, possibly catch up to said bad driver, removing the backing and slap it on to the car all while riding your bike at speed. And how do you not die in the process?
  • 05-08-2015
    BrianMc
    ^ I assumed you have to catch them stopping for donuts or something. A paint ball gun that shot stickers could be fun! (Only to imagine. You might find it "holstered" by an irate motorist in a part of your anatomy where the sun doesn't shine.)
  • 05-08-2015
    Surestick Malone
    Not a good idea, you'd be turning the driver into the victim in the eyes of most people.
    That said, you may enjoy this Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Lomak1581/featured
  • 05-27-2015
    alexk243
    Thinking more those who park in bike lanes and whatnot.
  • 05-27-2015
    str8edgMTBMXer
    Isn't this what u-Locks are for? just have it ready to go and give the passing car a whack....

    in my 20's, this ws the normal reaction....
  • 05-29-2015
    ilikecereal
    I think I've seen a similar concept but it was magnets instead of stickers. That way you can just throw them on and it won't cause any actual damage to the car.
  • 05-29-2015
    big_papa_nuts
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ilikecereal View Post
    I think I've seen a similar concept but it was magnets instead of stickers. That way you can just throw them on and it won't cause any actual damage to the car.

    I have actually seen these. I don't remember where but I remember thinking they were cool at the time. They said something like "This magnet was affixed to your car because you did something to endanger a cyclist", and even had a short explanation about how the magnet wouldn't damage the vehicle or stick to glass obstructing view.

    I think I'd still be opposed to the idea. People spend silly amounts of money on their cars, it is likely one of the most expensive things they own, and they tend to get very protective. I have almost gotten in multiple fights be caused I TOUCHED cars that almost hit me, so I wouldn't want to be throwing things at cars or slapping them to affix magnets. Though I do wish I had helmet camera footage of all the encounters I have had with road ragers. That, at the very lest, could have been used to file charges.
  • 05-29-2015
    ilikecereal
    I agree, throwing anything at a car that just almost killed you sounds like asking for trouble.

    Camera is a great idea though!
  • 05-29-2015
    BlowtorchBob
    I say throw a 2x4. Murder them. Piss on the car?
  • 05-29-2015
    BrianMc
    Well there is the leaky water bottle:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pj8QKTvRTQ

    According to Mel Brooks, such a criticism has a long history:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_v_ubcYsTI

    Actual mimicry of these would likely be hazardous to your health.