The stero type- Mtbr.com

Thread: The stero type

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

The stero type

I have recently started a new job and still commute to work. There are no riders in the shop and have no idea about bike commuting or the lifestyle that I'am apart of. My co-workers often ask how long ago I got my DUI and when I am getting my license back. I explain to them that I dont have a DUI and infact chose to ride my bike. They usually laugh and ask me if I have seen the movie the 40 year old virgin. I am curious if other riders out there have had similar experiences or stories that relate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The guys I work with just tell me to get a real bike, the kind with a 1000cc engine.

edit: from the title, I was expecting this thread to be about music. Something like this guy:

mtbr member
    Just remind them how you don't pay for gas or insurance.

"Tragically Flawed"
    Quote Originally Posted by GrampBredo
    Just remind them how you don't pay for gas or insurance.
    Or quadruple bypass surgery...

No-Brakes Cougar
    The people I work with are pretty impressed by the fact that I ride to work every day. Some are incredulous that I ride in the rain. Nobody really asks stupid questions like "When did I get my DUI," though I realize that this is the consensus with most of the non-cycling public. Either that or you're some kind of radical environmentalist/anarchist/whatever.

If you can't recruit them then just ignore them. At the end of the day, you're the wisest among them.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seawind161
    Or quadruple bypass surgery...

Or a gym membership.
    This could go on for days

I'm SUCH a square....
    I changed job locations six months ago; at the old site, everyone commended me for having the bravery to take on traffic, and the health-consciousness to pursue the 'hobby'.

At my new location, most of my co-workers still don't even seem to know I ride. One in the break room today asked me when I lost my license. While I remained calm, I did get a little testy about the subject. Never a DUI, license never suspended, driving record perfect for over 30 years...and a health choice I make for myself can only be the result of penalties of the legal system. What a society we live in..........

Found out recently that there is a person, who once claimed my friendship, who spread the rumor that I was an admitted alky with no license; she claimed I told her this myself. (This is at the old location.) As I am about to retuen to the old location soon, I will have it deal with there, too.

No more Mr. Nice Guy.

Gary, my 'long-lost twin':
    I am fully aware of my intellectual superiority over these yahoos, which just makes it that much harder to tolerate them and their inanities. Won't try to recruit them, don't need any more idiots on two wheels...............
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

weirdo
    As far as I know, nobody has thought that my license was revoked. I`ve heard people make that comment about another bike commuter here though. He`s the real thing- probably about 50 YO, never had a license, never learned to drive, and has a much longer commute than I do. I guess they don`t make that assumption about me because for a long time I used to bike in only when the weather was nice and drive the rest of the time, so everybody got used to seeing me come in by both methods. The funny thing is that I HAVE had my license suspended for DUI- twice, although the second time was over 15 years ago. Personally, I don`t think I`d care if anybody thought I still had no license, but I can see how that might bother some folks. I hope they stop bugging you about it.

EDIT: Hey, welcome to the forum. Two years and you finally found something to say? Wow, the cat REALLY had your tongue! Why don`t you post up some pictures of your bike in the sticky? Then the rest of us drunks can check it out : )

Ska
    Steel is real.
    LOL.......DUI

Not sure if anyone at my work has thought of that one yet there have been so many over the years. That's a good one. I get the odd comment now and again but it's usually over the tights I sometimes wear in cold weather or the super small SLR saddle that some of my bikes have. Just last night they taped a banana to my saddle (straight up of course) while I was out in the field. The guys hammer me pretty good sometimes but you have to remember that it's all in jest (at least where I work). I dish it out in their direction when the time arises (someone always becomes the victim for everyone to gang up on pretty early on in the shift) but seriously, you can't let it bother you.

Anyone who would get upset about a DUI comment like that where I work would NEVER survive. Any sign of weakness and you're going to get hammered - bad. We're serious when we need to be of course but it's crazy in down time....loads of laughs.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Quote Originally Posted by Ska!
    Anyone who would get upset about a DUI comment like that where I work would NEVER survive. Any sign of weakness and you're going to get hammered - bad. We're serious when we need to be of course but it's crazy in down time....loads of laughs.
    That's cool, you have a place to work that most of us would give up a gonad for; but there are serious-minded forrest-gump-wannabe's out there who will gut your professional reputation by 'innocently' gossiping about what they think.

I'm less offended by the ludicrous idea that I'm a license-less drunk, than I am about the fact that just because I choose to ride a bike makes me less of a citizen in their eyes.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    unfortunately I am the only one who rides and no one commutes at my firm.
    Sad story that the managing partner was on his early Saturday morning ride when he was hit head on and killed by a DUI jack ass. Sad Sad! He would lead group rides and urged people to ride bikes.

I commuted one last hear 56 miler round trip, It was pretty scarey once I left the MUT.

this year I may try it again. I live closer but it is all high density type of riding.

mtbr member
    No one makes the DUI connection at my work, they just think I'm some kind of biking nut. I work for a college and there are a few other bikers, but not many year round ones. What is sad to me is how many 20 something students think I nuts for walking up 5 flights of stairs vs. taking the elevator.

Members who have read this thread: 0