Steel Cyclocross- Mtbr.com
    Paste eater

Steel Cyclocross

Hey folks, what are my options for a complete steel framed cyclocross bike under 1500?

Ovaries on the Outside
    Lemond Poprad on ebay. Redline made a steel cross bike that might be cheaper than 1500.

What are you going to use the bike for? I've used two older steel bikes- one with cantis and one with generous clearance for 32mm and fenders with sidepull calipers. That sort of bike can be found on craigslist/ebay easily and are excellent commuters because they have tons of braze ons...

Paste eater
    Well, actually thinking of ditching the road bike all together and building up steel cross bike to ride the road with my girl (only time i really do) with a road wheelset and then also to ride forestroads/parks/road rides.

I like to ride long ways, but speed, pacelines and attacks aren't really what i'm into, so the ride comfort of steel is what i'd prefer over alu...

Ovaries on the Outside
    If I were in your area, with similar interest, I'd seriously consider picking up this bike. It won't handle like a cross bike off the trail, but you could really get some miles on it and it wouldn't be too hard/expensive to upgrade to a more modern drivetrain. If my precursory internet search is any indication, that is a pretty nice bike.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Personally (since you asked) my vote is for the Surly Cross Check. It’s a great capable bike that can handle everything from singletrack to full-out touring to nice light commuting (bags, fenders and all) if need be; incredibly versatile bike to be sure. The cost is really good too.

If you absolutely had to pick a flaw, I’d say it’s the weight. Who cares about that though when you can beat this thing silly without worry? They’re great.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Yeah, I boned that. The CC and LHT are both great bikes. While I'm remembering bikes that I should have mentioned in the first place, the Steelwool Tweed.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Yeah, I boned that...................
    LOL

Steelwool Tweed!
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    If I were in your area, with similar interest, I'd seriously consider picking up this bike. It won't handle like a cross bike off the trail, but you could really get some miles on it and it wouldn't be too hard/expensive to upgrade to a more modern drivetrain. If my precursory internet search is any indication, that is a pretty nice bike.

Wish i was still there... I'm in SC now thanks tho!

Paste eater
    I'm taking the plunge and pulling and audible. Gonna sell the carbon roadbike frameset, a couple other frames and buy a steel CX frame and wheelset. This will broaden my options. Still not enough for custom - rather put the money into the wheelset anyway. This strategy has worked out quite nicely with my Inbred 9r...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    SOMA DoubleCross DC - frame is Tange Prestige (I think) and very versatile - even disc brake compatible. Built one up very nicely for less than 1500. Similar to Surly Crosscheck but a litle lighter frame.

mtbr member
    May 2007

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    They're not making 'em any more, but the Salsa La Cruz could be an option if you can find one used either built up, or as a frame set. I have one and LOVE it as my "do anything" road bike. It's my daily commuter, my death-ride-century bike, my cruise with my better half bike, and even my easy singletrack bike.

The downside is it has no rack eyelets, but between a seat post rack for light hauling, and a BOB for heavy hauling, I don't miss the permanently attached racks.

Members who have read this thread: 0