Steel Cyclocross

Printable View

• 10-01-2010
    Jwind
    Steel Cyclocross
    Hey folks, what are my options for a complete steel framed cyclocross bike under 1500?
  • 10-01-2010
    umarth
    Lemond Poprad on ebay. Redline made a steel cross bike that might be cheaper than 1500.

What are you going to use the bike for? I've used two older steel bikes- one with cantis and one with generous clearance for 32mm and fenders with sidepull calipers. That sort of bike can be found on craigslist/ebay easily and are excellent commuters because they have tons of braze ons...
  • 10-01-2010
    Jwind
    Well, actually thinking of ditching the road bike all together and building up steel cross bike to ride the road with my girl (only time i really do) with a road wheelset and then also to ride forestroads/parks/road rides.

I like to ride long ways, but speed, pacelines and attacks aren't really what i'm into, so the ride comfort of steel is what i'd prefer over alu...
  • 10-01-2010
    umarth
    If I were in your area, with similar interest, I'd seriously consider picking up this bike. It won't handle like a cross bike off the trail, but you could really get some miles on it and it wouldn't be too hard/expensive to upgrade to a more modern drivetrain. If my precursory internet search is any indication, that is a pretty nice bike.
  • 10-01-2010
    Ska
    Personally (since you asked) my vote is for the Surly Cross Check. It’s a great capable bike that can handle everything from singletrack to full-out touring to nice light commuting (bags, fenders and all) if need be; incredibly versatile bike to be sure. The cost is really good too.

If you absolutely had to pick a flaw, I’d say it’s the weight. Who cares about that though when you can beat this thing silly without worry? They’re great.
  • 10-01-2010
    umarth
    Yeah, I boned that. The CC and LHT are both great bikes. While I'm remembering bikes that I should have mentioned in the first place, the Steelwool Tweed.
  • 10-01-2010
    Ska
    Quote:

Originally Posted by umarth
    Yeah, I boned that...................

LOL

Steelwool Tweed! :thumbsup:
  • 10-01-2010
    Jwind
    Quote:

Originally Posted by umarth
    If I were in your area, with similar interest, I'd seriously consider picking up this bike. It won't handle like a cross bike off the trail, but you could really get some miles on it and it wouldn't be too hard/expensive to upgrade to a more modern drivetrain. If my precursory internet search is any indication, that is a pretty nice bike.

Wish i was still there... I'm in SC now :( thanks tho!
  • 10-03-2010
    Jwind
    I'm taking the plunge and pulling and audible. Gonna sell the carbon roadbike frameset, a couple other frames and buy a steel CX frame and wheelset. This will broaden my options. Still not enough for custom - rather put the money into the wheelset anyway. This strategy has worked out quite nicely with my Inbred 9r...
  • 10-03-2010
    doctapow
    SOMA DoubleCross DC - frame is Tange Prestige (I think) and very versatile - even disc brake compatible. Built one up very nicely for less than 1500. Similar to Surly Crosscheck but a litle lighter frame.
  • 10-03-2010
    pedalitup
  • 10-04-2010
    ubernerd
    They're not making 'em any more, but the Salsa La Cruz could be an option if you can find one used either built up, or as a frame set. I have one and LOVE it as my "do anything" road bike. It's my daily commuter, my death-ride-century bike, my cruise with my better half bike, and even my easy singletrack bike.

The downside is it has no rack eyelets, but between a seat post rack for light hauling, and a BOB for heavy hauling, I don't miss the permanently attached racks.