Staties Ticketing Distracted Drivers in NY- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Staties Ticketing Distracted Drivers in NY

So far this year, troopers in Troop B have issued 729 tickets to people using cellphones while driving; 332 were issued using the CITE vehicle. And 175 drivers have been busted for texting behind the wheel; 111 of them were caught by the CITE vehicle.

"It's extremely distractive behavior," N.Y. State Police Maj. Richard Smith said. "You're actually four times more likely when you are using your cellphone to be involved in an accident than those that are not. And when texting you are 23 times more likely to be involved in an accident."

from NY police target distracted drivers - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Whoo-hoo, send some of those troopers out to WA!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    They finally made it a law up here last year....

I think they have issued well over 3000 tickets so far...

It is working.....but some drivers must be born distracted....

Short-Change-Hero
    ^^^^^
    Same here.. but I see just as many cops driving around in the squad cars on their cellphones as I do normal drivers. Can't enforce something that your cops are guilty of either. Plus they dont really make the ticket or enforcement large enough that the drivers get the picture.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Can't enforce something that your cops are guilty of either.
    never stopped them in the past.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've been told that Police, Fire, EMS, etc. are trained to be able to use their cell phones and drive, therefore they're fine. What a load of crap. It's one thing if they need to communicate by cell phone, but I'm sure their radios are their real communication device.

What's next, they've been trained to drive while they're drunk?

I'm SUCH a square....
    Even if the cops ARE hypocrites, they ARE helping us out with the ticketing -- after all, even if they ARE doing it, how many cop cars are there? Less than 1% of the number of private cars! They just lowered the odds in our favor, regardless!

I commend any LEO that's sensibly enforcing the law.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JR 137 View Post
    I've been told that Police, Fire, EMS, etc. are trained to be able to use their cell phones and drive, therefore they're fine. What a load of crap. It's one thing if they need to communicate by cell phone, but I'm sure their radios are their real communication device.

What's next, they've been trained to drive while they're drunk?
    You have bad workers or people who don't care in every profession. It's no different with public servants. There are less of them, and they are under more scrutiny, so it is more obvious, though. I have personally known quite a few police/EMS that are extremely dedicated to their job.

Members who have read this thread: 0