Started commuting 2day- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Started commuting 2day

It was pretty cool riding my bike to work this morning. I have about a 5 mile ride each way. My actual round trip via car is about 70 miles, so i park about 5 miles away and ride the rest, maybe Ill work my way up to more, but the 5 is enough for now. I have to try and find a better route b/c there were a few times I had to ride near cars and it wasnt that cool.
    I also have to find a way to attach my back pack to the rear. I installed a flat carrier that attaches to the seat post but all i have is bungie cords to attach it and it dosent seem like a very good way. I think it could fall off and I would never know. I may try to find a velcro strap or something? It was nice, just wanted to say hello

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    just wear the pack
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

Jul 2007
    I don't know what kinda bike you have but they make bags and packs that attach to the rear rack. If nothing else, try a messenger bag instead of a backpack. They are much better for riding with as long as you're not hauling a heavy load.

I wouldn't "just wear the pack" if you already bought a rear rack. That's for people who are too cool for racks.

Check out google earth and google maps to find a better road. I try to avoid any road that has a speed limit higher than 40mph.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Good info thanks. I was looking around on Google maps 2day I think I may have found a better route.

I do have a messnger bag, I may try that, just dont want it to shift weight or be sliding around

The back pack makes my back sweat, and then having to sit at work w/ a sweaty back is not too cool. I am no longer too cool for a rack, lol.

Function>Form right?

All That is Man
    That's quite the commute, I would say instead of doing it hybrid style, just pick one , maybe two days out of the week to do the FULL ride by bike. Might as well make your trip to work an adventure every once in awhile, haha.
    John

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    wow, lol. not doin a 70 mile commute, that would be crazy. And the end cap off my thule bike mount fell off 2day on the interstate I gotta find some place that sells individual pieces.

The ride back to the car yesterday was amazing. Im definatley glad I decided to do this!!

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Industrial
    I wouldn't "just wear the pack" if you already bought a rear rack. That's for people who are too cool for racks.
    Huh? I thought racks were for people who were too cool for backpacks
    Congratulations, O7. Glad you like it- you have a great opportunity to customize your biking length at will. I don`t know where you can find parts for you rack- hope somebody else has that info.

Members who have read this thread: 0