Started commuting 2day

Printable View

• 04-14-2008
    ohannon7
    Started commuting 2day
    It was pretty cool riding my bike to work this morning. I have about a 5 mile ride each way. My actual round trip via car is about 70 miles, so i park about 5 miles away and ride the rest, maybe Ill work my way up to more, but the 5 is enough for now. I have to try and find a better route b/c there were a few times I had to ride near cars and it wasnt that cool.
    I also have to find a way to attach my back pack to the rear. I installed a flat carrier that attaches to the seat post but all i have is bungie cords to attach it and it dosent seem like a very good way. I think it could fall off and I would never know. I may try to find a velcro strap or something? It was nice, just wanted to say hello
  • 04-14-2008
    spcarter
    just wear the pack
  • 04-14-2008
    Industrial
    I don't know what kinda bike you have but they make bags and packs that attach to the rear rack. If nothing else, try a messenger bag instead of a backpack. They are much better for riding with as long as you're not hauling a heavy load.

I wouldn't "just wear the pack" if you already bought a rear rack. That's for people who are too cool for racks. :p

Check out google earth and google maps to find a better road. I try to avoid any road that has a speed limit higher than 40mph.
  • 04-14-2008
    ohannon7
    Good info thanks. I was looking around on Google maps 2day I think I may have found a better route.

I do have a messnger bag, I may try that, just dont want it to shift weight or be sliding around

The back pack makes my back sweat, and then having to sit at work w/ a sweaty back is not too cool. I am no longer too cool for a rack, lol.

Function>Form right?
  • 04-14-2008
    Zero Signal
    That's quite the commute, I would say instead of doing it hybrid style, just pick one , maybe two days out of the week to do the FULL ride by bike. Might as well make your trip to work an adventure every once in awhile, haha.
  • 04-15-2008
    ohannon7
    wow, lol. not doin a 70 mile commute, that would be crazy. And the end cap off my thule bike mount fell off 2day on the interstate :( I gotta find some place that sells individual pieces.

The ride back to the car yesterday was amazing. Im definatley glad I decided to do this!!
  • 04-15-2008
    rodar y rodar
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Industrial
    I wouldn't "just wear the pack" if you already bought a rear rack. That's for people who are too cool for racks.

Huh? I thought racks were for people who were too cool for backpacks:???:
    Congratulations, O7. Glad you like it- you have a great opportunity to customize your biking length at will. I don`t know where you can find parts for you rack- hope somebody else has that info.