Start a bike stable?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Start a bike stable?

I've been riding MTB for about 10 years, and slowly migrated/upgraded to a high-end 2x10 full suspension xc racing bike (yes, that I actually race). However, I also bike to work 4 miles one way and am thinking about getting another bike just for rides into work. We have a paved river trail that goes from my neighborhood directly to work - smooth, fast, nice scenery.

Question: Should I keep rolling on my new 5k+ MTB, or get something in the 500-1000 dollar range to ride to work. P.S. I'm having a kid in a few months and will want to hook up one of those burley carts for trips around the city to parks, zoo, etc...

Should I get a 2nd bike or make my MTB do it all?

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I would think you couldn't go wrong with getting a 2nd bike. Heck between my wife and I we have 6 bikes!

I would look on craigs list for a good used bike for your commute to work and connecting the burley up to.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    N+1 and done.
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

mtbr member
    Definitely craigslist! This is the story I have gotten from most of the people I have emailed on CL: "I bought this bike 5 years ago and road it for about a year. It has been sitting in my garage and I just want to get rid of it!" This usually ends up in a transaction that I feel is in my favor
    Are you a Happy Mutant?

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by ender. View Post
    N+1 and done.
    "N+1" and "done" are contradictory. NEVER done!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    N+1 is definitely how I live my drumming life....(there's always one more cymbal that would sound great on my drumkit...)

Yeah, I think i'm gonna pull the trigger on another bike. A 29er HT. Can still play around in the woods a bit, it's a back up while my FS is in the shop, would be better (3x9) for road riding (which I also do a bit of for training).

Only problem is: Since i'm such a geek about components (all X0). I feel I have to at least get an X7 or SLX comp group... But hey, thank god for good jobs!

Thanks all!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I meant done as in done answering his question... lol but yes, the truth is, there is no such thing as "too many bikes".
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

mtbr member
    (N + 1) iterated . Currently at four, for two people with only one riding.

BrianMc

Teen Wolf
    Yes. More is better, 2 is not a stable.

One Colorful Rider
    my insurance agent said " You have how many bikes? "

weirdo
    Norm, your agent probably wouldn`t freak out if you just told him how many deraillers you`ve got.

One Colorful Rider
    Norm, your agent probably wouldn`t freak out if you just told him how many deraillers you`ve got.
    Never Thought Of That :~)

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    "Should I get a 2nd bike or make my MTB do it all?"

Definitely get a 2nd bike for commuting. If nothing else, simply to save the wear and tear on the MTB. You'll be amazed at how much faster and more fun your commute and other errands/rides can be with a bike that is intended for the purpose. Save the FS MTB for fun in the dirt and races.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by tristero View Post
    N+1 is definitely how I live my drumming life....(there's always one more cymbal that would sound great on my drumkit...)

Yeah, I think i'm gonna pull the trigger on another bike. A 29er HT. Can still play around in the woods a bit, it's a back up while my FS is in the shop, would be better (3x9) for road riding (which I also do a bit of for training).

Only problem is: Since i'm such a geek about components (all X0). I feel I have to at least get an X7 or SLX comp group... But hey, thank god for good jobs!

Thanks all!
    Road bike.

Anything from the mid-90s on will have excellent cross-compatibility with modern standards, so you can use it for everything from commutes to criteriums. If you decide to add structured workouts to your training, road bikes are great. Or a 'cross bike, and keep your season going into the Fall.

Give some thought to the things you do on the way to and from work. Do you stop and buy groceries? Where will you keep it when you're at work? You may want to spend less on this bike, depending on the answers to those questions.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0