ss commuting options- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

ss commuting options

any suggestions for a rigid ht mountain bike for commuting. i was thinking of a monocog but i dont think you can mount a rear basket on it. I would like to keep it under 500. i am open to any sugestions thanks

Bedwards Of The West
    I wish I lived somewhere that would make a SS commuter practical. Then again...that usually means a city, so I guess I'm OK where I'm at.

If I WAS building a single speed, I'd go 29er. There are some SWEET SS 29ers in the 29er forum. You should pop over there and ask for reccomendo's from that crowd.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    yeh i was thinking of doing a monocog but i dont know gears might be nice on a commuter. perhaps i need to put some money down on a d440. i wanted to do some light touring this summer as well so that might help. i just purchased a gf rig and love the idea of not having to worry about all those moving parts the the d440 looks like a nice bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I just picked up a Monocog for $225 on my local Craigslist. I plan on using it as my winter commuter/grocery getter. You are correct that there are not any braze-ons for mounting a rear rack, but there are other solutions out there such as seatpost mounted racks. I have seen a few examples of guys who have drilled and tapped the rear dropouts on a Monocog for mounting racks and I plan on following this route. The dropouts on the (non-Flite) Monocog are really beefy and so I would think that a couple of well placed holes shouldn't affect their structural integrity much. That said, I'm not a mechanical engineer so you probably shouldn't listen to me. We'll see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    it looks like the d440 might be a better option. i am exploring that right now. it might be nice to have a geared bike as a back up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    GO SINGLE SPEED! 29ER! i commute with a haro mary ss 29er. if you want a smooth ride for a rigid hardtail 29 is the way to go. single speed is also just fun simple and more of a challenge.

it treats me right for all situations. on or off road.

Weird Eh
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE610
    any suggestions for a rigid ht mountain bike for commuting. i was thinking of a monocog but i dont think you can mount a rear basket on it. I would like to keep it under 500. i am open to any sugestions thanks
    These cats have racks that will go on almost any bike
    http://www.oldmanmountain.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cog1984
    GO SINGLE SPEED! 29ER! i commute with a haro mary ss 29er. if you want a smooth ride for a rigid hardtail 29 is the way to go. single speed is also just fun simple and more of a challenge.

it treats me right for all situations. on or off road.

I have a gf rig ss so i was thinking having a bike with gears would be nice.

Members who have read this thread: 0