squirrel incident- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018

squirrel incident

Today on my commute home, I was riding by a fence, going probably 17mph, and saw a squirrel on top of it, out of the corner of my eye. Before I could process what was happening, the squirrel did a wild flying leap onto my top tube. I just had enough time to yell "Whoa!" before it leaped off again and ran away. Somehow it only touched my bike, not me. This is the weirdest thing that has ever happened to me on a bike.

That is all.

psycho cyclo addict
    Wow- that's crazy...

A squirrel has bounced off of my front tire on occasion.

One of my friends had one get caught in his spokes... he went over the bars and his face connected with the ground
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Snow Dog
    I have had birds dive bomb me before, which freaking crazy...out of no where, just pecking at my helmet and head...
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

Professional Crastinator
    THAT is a winning story!

Was it one of those little crazy red squirrels? I've had those bounce off a tire a couple times, seen one go through someone's rolling wheel and fling into the air, and then there's that internet picture of one caught in someone's brake caliper. Those things are suicidal.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    One thing about 36 spoke wheels: the squirrels bounce off a spoke or two and don't cause a wheel lockup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Riding last weekend with my son. Little squirrel with what looked like a cigar sticking out of its mouth (small, straight pinecone) runs out to within a few inches of his front tire before doing a u-turn.
    No joke, I see the same little guy in the woods 3 hours later while I'm getting kindling, and he's got a pinecone in his mouth, holding it like a cigar.

The next day, a chipmunk starts to do the same run for his tire. In the space of about 10", it u-turns to sprint back, but does it three times before fully retreating. We laughed so hard we had to take a break,

Let's see THAT happen on a Peleton...

mtbr member
    I had a Doug squirrel leap across the trail in front of me a couple weeks back. I was doing around 15mph or so and it waited until I was damn near along side of it to make the leap. It leapt about 5 feet in the air and 7 feet across the trail accelerating past me mid leap coming within 3 inches of my face. This gave the illusion of slow motion as it seemingly matched my speed and traveled with me 3 inches from my face as it passed by. Kinda comical, kinda neat, I smiled and said "crazy squirrel".

Also this season, coming into an ATV park mid trail a squirrel decided to play chicken with me darting from one side of the trail to the other, you know what they do. Only it had a snack pack sized bag of Cheetos perfectly perched on it's head. This gave the illusion of a dancing squirrel with a sick bright orange and yellow mohawk. I laughed, crazy squirrel!

About ten years ago I was riding with my girlfriends brother, our first meet & greet. He was behind me when a pair of squirrels going to town Chinchilla style fell out of a tree right in front of me and kept going at it like nobodies business. Never had I witnessed this squirrel passion before so naturally I stopped and gawked. When he caught up to me with a look of what's going on I merely pointed at this natural wander. We both stared in amusement as the female squirrel bolted up the tree about 15 feet and stopped, the whole while the male squirrel continued to go to town like none of this ever happened. He mentioned something about his sister under his breath which made the whole thing super awkward and off we went.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Meatbomb
    I've been stalked by a pack of coyotes.... kind of freaked me out a bit.

be1
    mtbr member
    the other day i was riding and a squirrel was digging in the leaves making a huge racket. i stopped to see what was going on - sidled right up to him. when he saw me he jumped a couple of feet straight into the air and hit the ground running. hilarious. i had to laugh.
    they get crazy this time of year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Fortunately it wasn’t a cow or a rattlesnake. Might have ended differently.

Cycologist
    I managed to run over a squirrel once. Then you're super paranoid whenever they're around for awhile. Also had a bird grabbing at my helmet and following me.

I work in a hexagon shaped building and there is a courtyard in the middle. Not sure how, but there are at least three squirrels living in the courtyard, only way in and out is through the building. They've gotten good at breaking open garbage bags when the cleaning people are moving them around after hours. I spotted one the other day sitting up gnawing on a chicken wing, holding it with both front paws, like someone eats an ear of corn.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbotron View Post
    Today on my commute home, I was riding by a fence, going probably 17mph, and saw a squirrel on top of it, out of the corner of my eye. Before I could process what was happening, the squirrel did a wild flying leap onto my top tube. I just had enough time to yell "Whoa!" before it leaped off again and ran away. Somehow it only touched my bike, not me. This is the weirdest thing that has ever happened to me on a bike.

That is all.
    Did the squirrel turn to his buddy first and say "Hold My Beer"?

It's truly amazing that squirrels have stood Darwin's test with their questionable decision making ability. But the story of they falling out of the tree during copulation is probably the rest of that story.

I've run over one or 2 with a bike. I think the best way not to hit them is to aim for them.

Rides all the bikes!
    Commute to work, about a week ago:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails squirrel incident-screenshot_20191030-075813.jpg  

psycho cyclo addict
    Wow!
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    I had a similar to the OP, during a climb, crept up on a squirrel on the trail above me. He freaked out when he saw me, ran in circle then left in front of and landed on my bars then jumped off. It was over before I could even react.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Ovaries on the Outside
    I had a friend kill a squirrel when it jumped into his spokes. It sucks and I have given them wider berths since then. Their flight instincts is to be erratic, which is great when it comes to predators, not so great for bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yup had friend who had a squirrel take a dive into spokes.
    Couple months ago had an unidentified animal run into my front wheel on our DH run. Unifentified because it was so sudden and it took off into bushes as i was sprawled on ground a good number of yards away from bike.

mtbr member
    The closest encounters I had were

-a mouse running across the road and went -between- my wheels from right to left

-a roe deer on a rural road:
    panicked when I came around the corner, wanted to run into the fields but there was a fence and in the panic, she kept bouncing her head against the fence. I got off the bike and turned my side to here and looked away, that calmed her down. Then I started looking from her to the open gate in the fence to signal her "you can go there" . When she saw the opening, I turned away and from a corner in my eyes I could see her go in there. Luckily no other traffic during the encounter...

mtbr member
    Squirrel into the front spokes with a carbon fiber road fork, shatters the fork and the rider broke his face arm and collar bone. I saw the fork remnant and it was pretty sobering.

Moderator Moderator
    That's nuts, Jumbotron.

9 lives
    Geronimo!

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Well done cyclelicious!

mtbr member
    There's a reason the word "squirrelly" was coined:

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Cool story!

I had a frog jump through my front triangle recently, I saw it just as it hopped and felt it graze both my legs as I peddled. Hope he was okay, certainly could've been worse.