Specialized Turbo e-bike: One smoking fast commuter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Specialized Turbo e-bike: One smoking fast commuter

Yes, it is illegally fast in the US and most of Europe, but a pure blast to ride. I'm on my way back from the global launch event in Valencia, and truly stoked:
    The electric Specialized Turbo: First ride - bysykling

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I past a guy on an E-bike on the MUTs yesterday...he was blasting +50kph.....a little fast for conditions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    think those tires are going to be available for sale? i've been looking for 700x40/45 slicks

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The tires were developed specifically for the Turbo, with max Armadillo puncture protection. No idea if they will be available separately, sorry.

Teen Wolf
    that looks like fun

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Looks like fun, but there is no way I would be locking up a $7k+ bike outdoors.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Good to see the big boys *starting* to make ebikes with SAFE SPEED. 20mph makes you an obstacle on most roads in the US. 28mph will help a fair bit, while still being a bicycle. Most city traffic seems to be 25-30mph when not in gridlock. Now we just need a high speed ebike class to make it legal....

mtbr member
    If I remember my state's law correctly, 25 is the max for a power assist without a motorcycle license, insurance and lighting. However, given that the Police don't pull people over doing 45 in the 30 zone close to home, I doubt they would notice a couple mph over the limit. As long as it looks and pedals like a bike, I doubt they'd notice it was powered and think to check whether it is a bit too fast.

It is a sleek looking unit without the big battery pack on a biplane rear rack. It would be nie if it was a success for them.

BrianMc

Members who have read this thread: 0