Specialized Allez- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Specialized Allez

Commuting on CalTrain in the peninsula area.
    Moved to the bay area from santa cruz + need to have a road bike now, not just mountain bikes and cruisers.

Any help I would love because I am coming from a mountain background with little road time.

So, I picked up a 2011 specialized allez frame, my brother has a 2010 and I had a few spins around borrowed it for a week or 2. The frame is coming with a Sram S100 crankset, i think its just a single ring, probably going to want a double/triple.

Heres a picture of the frame:

Just picked up a set of these at a flea market:

Plan to use the cross top levers because I want to have bullhorn bars, what style brake should I pair with these levers?

Any recommendations on where to find decent bar like this? all I've found are ebay fixie ones that seem cheap...? does that matter?

Final question is concerning a road wheelset. I found a set of FSA from performance bike that are like $200 around 2,000g. seems legit to me for a daily road bike? anything better?

I'm attempting to spend around $800 or so. I've already got the frame, headset, and cranks for $300. so that leaves me with $500 left for bars/stem, wheels/tires/tubes, brakes & drivetrain (- cranks).

Thanks for any help!
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

Ex-Clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by EDizzleVR6 View Post
    Any recommendations on where to find decent bar like this? all I've found are ebay fixie ones that seem cheap...? does that matter?
    They're usually found on time trial and triathlon bikes, that should help your search. I've got a Profile T2 on my Cannondale Slice, no problems there.
    Profile Design T2 Wing Handlebars - Road Handlebars

A little cheaper is the Forte brand one:
    Forté Union Bullhorn Bar - Road Handlebars

Final question is concerning a road wheelset. I found a set of FSA from performance bike that are like $200 around 2,000g. seems legit to me for a daily road bike? anything better?
    I have a set of Forte Titan wheels (I believe they're the same as Neuvation) with a few thousand miles on them that have been reliable so far, no truing needed. No experience with the FSA wheelset. Another option for a couple dollars more is a Shimano 105 or Ultegra and Mavic Open Pro wheelset, that's about as bombproof as it get, and no bladed spokes that might be harder to find later.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

mtbr member
    What are you wanting to do for shifters?

Bullhorns work well for singlespeeds but require downtube or stem shifters to use gears. And your bike has neither. Only other option would be bar end shifters coming straight out the end of the bullhorn bars.

Properly setup up drop bars give you the same hand position with drop bar levers/shifters and then you can have easy shifting and multiple hand positions.

It's blingy for a commuter but I cant talk, just dont leave it locked outside for too long.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    What are you wanting to do for shifters?

Only other option would be bar end shifters coming straight out the end of the bullhorn bars.
    Would it be an issue to run it this way?
    I thought of running avid tt shifter at the end. i may only have 1 ring up front and a 10spd or what have u in the rear
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

mtbr member
    Not really except for the difficulty of downshifting while braking and rolling up to a stop, but no worse than being dependant on cross-top brake levers.

Have you tried dropbars or do you just like the appearance of bullhorn bars? Riding on the hoods is almost the exact same hand position as riding on bullhorn bars. Look at the shape of a normal drop bar with brake/shifter mounted and you'll have the same flat top sloping into a curved bend on the top of the brake lever - the same as the bend on the end of a bullhorn.

From an aesthetics standpoint, you're going to end up with an ugly Allez with the bullhorns and from a functional standpoint gearshifts will be more of a pain in the ass and you'll have less hand positions.

mtbr member
    I see what your saying... I guess i just dont like the drop bar style brake, thats why i got the cross top.
    To be blunt;

mtbr member
    could i put downtube shifters on that frame?
    To be blunt;

~ B A D A S S ~
    the vision bar is mtb outer diamter so it takes mtb brakes and mtb shifters if you want. You want to fabricate a tube that elongates out from the front to make it really usable though. Also call the makers about diameters if you are unsure, which i guess you are since they don't actually say what diameters the bars are. CRC has many of those bars, like 10 different or so. Under road bars, its a submenu.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    could i put downtube shifters on that frame?
    Nope. Also, Avid's cheapest TT bar end shifters are pretty expensive IIRC. Sounds like you might be better off building a flat bar road bike. You can then use mountain bike shifters and brake levers. Each respective brands mountain bike shifters are compatible with their road derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My bike (Tricross) came with Sora STI brake/shifters and extra top bar brake levers. The top bar levers essentially pull the brake cable housing. It's super simple and I figure if Specialized does it it can't be overly dangerous. Does take up a lot of room on the top bar that could be used for lights or a computer though.

I've also got an old road bike with oddly shaped levers that let you reach a brake lever from anywhere on the bars. I'll post a picture tonight, but picture a drop bar brake lever with another arm (attached to the drop brake lever) running underneath the top bar.

Fat-tired Roadie
    OP - hate me if you like, but give this some thought.

Resell the frame. Hang onto the brake levers a little longer if you think you want them, but IMHO they don't belong on a bicycle that actually fits its owner.

Buy a complete bike with the money you have. For riding in San Francisco, I highly recommend something inexpensive. As in, $300ish. Spend the whole $800 if you like - that could get you a very nice late-2000s road bike or a reasonably good entry-level new one.

Properly set up drop bars are awesome. If you've ever wished you could have your handlebars in both a climbing/efforts position and a cruising position on your MTB, with drop bars, you can. Go to some shops and ride some bikes. If you go to a shop that also caters to fixie kids, you can probably get some time with both bullhorns and traditional drop bars. I've been happiest using pretty standard road bike setups for years - basically since I got comfortable on a road bike.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    My bike (Tricross) came with Sora STI brake/shifters and extra top bar brake levers. The top bar levers essentially pull the brake cable housing. It's super simple and I figure if Specialized does it it can't be overly dangerous. Does take up a lot of room on the top bar that could be used for lights or a computer though.

I've also got an old road bike with oddly shaped levers that let you reach a brake lever from anywhere on the bars. I'll post a picture tonight, but picture a drop bar brake lever with another arm (attached to the drop brake lever) running underneath the top bar.
    I could have sworn I posted these pictures earlier. Anyways, here's my current ride with the double sets of levers, as well as the old road bike with double-action drop levers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Allez-double_lever.jpg  

Specialized Allez-shifter_brake_resized.jpg  

Specialized Allez-top_brake_pulled.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 1