Sore calves from commute- Mtbr.com

May 2004

Sore calves from commute

Hi all,

I'm sick right now, so I figured this was as good a time as any to ask.

I commute to work (don't have a car), and my daily route involves quite a bit of hill climbs. I do this 5 days a week for work, and then usually once or twice on the weekend (to get into town for whatever reason).

I started this routine about 3 weeks ago, and my calves are noticeably sore. I don't have a bathtub to soak them in or anything--any suggestions as to what I can do to help them repair quicker? Or will this get better as I keep doing it?

I've noticed I can climb better already, but after I get home I can feel the burn in my calves.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

Bloody Bastard
    I'm in the same boat, but my calf muscles are fine. I feel the constant burn in my quads, specifically in the Vastus Medialis area. I just figured it would subside after a while.

May 2004
    How long has that been going on for you?

Bloody Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by mace2
    How long has that been going on for you?
    About the same time. 3 weeks worth of riding. 24 mile daily commute.

Bloody Bastard
    Let me correct that. I've been commuting regularly for 3 weeks now, but the burn in my quads didn't rear its head until just a couple days ago.

trail rat
    Sore muscles are frequently a result of fit issues, i.e., incorrect seat to crank position for lower body soreness, and seat to handlebars for upper body. You may not experience it on a mountain bike ride, since you change position often, climbing, descending, technical sections, shifting body position for balance. But commuting means you stay in the same position (more or less), and soreness will result with incorrect postion.

I'm not qualified to give advice, but have researched this for years and years and know what works for me. Seek out a local bike shop or trainer that is qualified to assess your bike fit.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I agree with slocaus...fit is the most important issue. Seat too high or low, or to far forward or back in relation to the crank. If fit is ok...PROTEIN... 1 gram for every 10 pounds of body weight within 30 minutes of a ride.
    Last edited by citybiker; 05-23-2008 at 11:22 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Guys, you gotta have a rest day at least once every 7 days, no riding.

Bloody Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Guys, you gotta have a rest day at least once every 7 days, no riding.
    That's what I figured. I've been pushing pretty hard without rest, and I'm not used to working that specific muscle extensively. I thought I'd just finish up the week and then recover on Saturday before hitting the trail on Sunday. Yeah, you've got to give your muscles time to recover. Continually breaking down those muscle fibers without giving them a chance to build up stronger defeats the purpose of muscular strength and endurance training.

May 2004
    That's good information. I was actually commuting most of it on a beater bike that didn't fit too well! I just purchased a new bike that fits me however, so that should help now.

Protein... Yeah, I have been low on protein lately. I am a vegetarian and am settling into a new city and think I have somewhat overlooked that at the moment.

And you're also right about resting. It's sometimes a bit hard to give up a day in the city on the weekend but it sounds like it is really for the best.

Thanks guys.

Bloody Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by mace2
    I am a vegetarian
    That's part of the problem right there. God gave you canines for a reason. Use 'em!

j/k

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    I used to get sore and crampy calves until I moved the cleats for the clipless pedals back on my shoes. If the OP is riding platform pedals, try lowering the saddle a tad. When you're close to "just right", small adjustments in saddle height can make a big difference.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

mtbr member
    If you are on clipless pedals, move the cleat a little more toward your heel. Other than that, it just takes time.
    "Rejoice...Rejoice...We have no choice...But, to carry on" - Crosby Stills & Nash

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu Falcon
    That's part of the problem right there. God gave you canines for a reason. Use 'em!

j/k

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    BAD Protein MATH...I edited my post. My humble apologies!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0