Soon-to-be Commuter Needs Collapsible Bike Advice!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Soon-to-be Commuter Needs Collapsible Bike Advice!

Hi everyone!

So, I'm hoping to move to an area north of Philly where I can do my entire commute into the city by train. I'm going to purchase a bike for the commute (at most 7 miles) to the station. However, I'm at a loss on which bike to purchase! Could you fine folks help me out? Here's what I've identified as "must-haves" for the bike.

1. Collapsible. The times I take SEPTA in require that the bike be collapsible in order to bring it on the train.
    2. Full-size, or close to it. I've used the teeny-wheeled collapsible bikes before, and fell flat on my face. No thank you!
    3. <$1000. I don't think I can convince my boyfriend for more than that, and it's going to be a struggle to get him to work with anything above $100.

I'd love to hear from people who have the collapsibles! I really wish I could get a regular, full-size bike, but there's just no way to get it on SEPTA without the conductors booting me off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I assume you mean a "folding bike". I was a train-folding-bike-commuter for a long time. What do you mean by full-size? Often there is a restriction to 20in wheels for use in public transport (at least in most cities here in Europe). This would limit your choices. A good overview can be found here: Folding bikes & compact bicycles by Brompton, Dahon, Tern & Montague

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hi Quax!

I mostly meant a bike that has wheels as big or nearly as big as a regular bike. >< I'm afraid I don't know much about the terminology, I guess it would be 26'' wheels? My train provider doesn't have a restriction on folding bikes, so as long as I'm not trying to bring in a folding moped I will be fine.

Would you recommend any of the bikes especially? I've been eyeing the Dahon Jack D7 and the Dahon Expresso.

weirdo
    I was going to tell you that a folder with 26 in wheels probably wouldn`t cut it for a train that didn`t allow "regular" bikes- good thing I read your next post before I had to bite my tongue

Dahon and Montague are the only 26 inch folders I know of, but I haven`t really looked. The place to ask would be the folding bikes section over at BFnet. Its a pretty active board with about as broad a knowledge base as you`re likely to find on the subject.
    Folding Bikes

I don`t know which "teeny-wheeled" bikes you`ve tried. I agree that some are downright scary, but you might actually like the ride and handling of others. I`ve had my 20 incher over 40 MPH with no ill effects, also ridden it over miles of rough dirt roads loaded down with camping gear. While its always nice to ride a bike before buying, I think that`s especially important when you start getting into specialty bikes, as there can be really huge differences between them that aren`t apparent until you set your own butt in the saddle and give it the works. Good luck with your search!

~ B A D A S S ~
    Moulton, brompton, bike friday and dahon seems to be the mosty popular ones.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Full Size Folder
    Oct 2012
    I just recently purchased a Montague x50 and converted it for urban use. So far its been great and has handed my 6'1" / 205 frame just fine. The base components that come on it are pretty bad, though. You might want to look at buying just a frame and building it up or just getting a Paratrooper. Great bikes though, and the customer service is really good. They answered all of my questions about specs they didn't have listed on their site and were very helpful.

Members who have read this thread: 0