Something new for night commuters:- Mtbr.com
    just along for the ride

Something new for night commuters:

Sure hope this goes to market cause its a great idea

http://www.lightlanebike.com/about.html

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have been keeping my eye on this. Looks like it will be green for better viz and may be missing the bike lane icon, which is a shame.

http://gizmodo.com/5302110/lightlane...come-a-reality

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've seen this before. Interesting idea. I would imagine they have to have mirrors spinning inside to generate the ground pattern. I wonder what the durability of that is and how long a charge will last.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Yeah, this has come up before and been a subject of much debate. Not something I would use myself, but if it works for you then go for it!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Oh, and btw, when these come out, I am going to buy like 23 of them and strap them all over my bike.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by ryball
    Oh, and btw, when these come out, I am going to buy like 23 of them and strap them all over my bike.
    And film it and post said film on youtube with a Norwegian black metal soundtrack?

ride the moment
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkShip
    I would imagine they have to have mirrors spinning inside to generate the ground pattern. .
    Spinning mirrors? Looked like a fancy laser pointer to me.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    And film it and post said film on youtube with a Norwegian black metal soundtrack?
    yes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbrain
    Spinning mirrors? Looked like a fancy laser pointer to me.
    Laser pointer makes a dot. To make shapes, the light has to be diffused or moving. Diffusion would potentially make the light dim, so I went with the spinning mirror theory.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I am going to guess based on the tiny case size and the fact they are going with a green laser that they went with diffractive optics instead of spinning mirrors. Also, it would seem more cost effective and reliable to eliminate moving parts.
    Last edited by ryball; 07-01-2009 at 04:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Looking at the video, I just can't think of a time when that would be helpful for me. If my entire ride was always on wide streets it would make sense, but it doesn't make sense when I'm taking the lane. It seems like then it would promote illegal passing (must change lanes)

No-Brakes Cougar
    Reminds me a bit of the growing DIY bike lane trend. A recent issue of Bicycling had an article about it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    good idea but dun think its very efficient
    Giant Yukon 09'
    Merida NinetySix
    Marin 09 Quake 7.9

mtbr member

Can't cross double yellow to pass a bike where you ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    ...doesn't make sense when I'm taking the lane. It seems like then it would promote illegal passing (must change lanes)
    Is it not legal where you ride? In Ohio, it is permissible to overtake even in a marked no-passing zone when a slower vehicle is moving at less than half of the posted speed limit.

From the Ohio Dept of Transportation website:
    4511.31 Hazardous Zones - Allows for the crossing of a double yellow line in instances when drivers are approaching a slower vehicle (bicycles, horse-drawn buggies, farm vehicles, etc.) proceeding at less than half of the posted speed, as long as the faster vehicle is capable of passing without exceeding the speed limit and as long as there is sufficient clear space in which to do so.

The official law on the books is a bit less direct and readable:

4511.31 Establishing hazardous zones.

(A) The department of transportation may determine those portions of any state highway where overtaking and passing other traffic or driving to the left of the center or center line of the roadway would be especially hazardous and may, by appropriate signs or markings on the highway, indicate the beginning and end of such zones. When such signs or markings are in place and clearly visible, every operator of a vehicle or trackless trolley shall obey the directions of the signs or markings, notwithstanding the distances set out in section 4511.30 of the Revised Code.

(B) Division (A) of this section does not apply when all of the following apply:

(1) The slower vehicle is proceeding at less than half the speed of the speed limit applicable to that location.

(2) The faster vehicle is capable of overtaking and passing the slower vehicle without exceeding the speed limit.

(3) There is sufficient clear sight distance to the left of the center or center line of the roadway to meet the overtaking and passing provisions of section 4511.29 of the Revised Code, considering the speed of the slower vehicle.

(C) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004; 09-21-2006

~Disc~Golf~
    seriously you guys??!! - that's one of the most useless and retarded things I have seen
    Honestly... ahh I give up

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    It's COOL, is it practical and going to replace a good bike light and reflective clothing, I sure hope not. Personally I would hate to see it on the trails I ride.
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    really??
    a red light shining a false bike lane???

am I the only one thinking "most drivers don't stay out of the REAL bike lane nevermind one that moves with me?"
    since when is pointing light at the ground make people more aware of you than pointing light at their eye height?

*sigh*
    probably all been covered before, sorry, incredulity strikes again...
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    am I the only one thinking "most drivers don't stay out of the REAL bike lane nevermind one that moves with me?"
    since when is pointing light at the ground make people more aware of you than pointing light at their eye height?
    I think that's the general consensus. People around here drive in the bike lane all of the time (despite the fact that it earns you a big, fat ticket) and I'm sure it's that way elsewhere as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    seems pretty useless
    dont see how a little line on the road could possibly be anywhere near as effective as some bright flashing red led lights on the cyclist or bike

EDIT: I guess I missed the point - despite the photos and videos showing cyclists without any other lighting the text suggests it is intended to be used in conjunction with other lighting since lights are effective at capturing motorists attention and this is intended to show them a boundary around the cyclist. Still pretty useless IMHO.

Members who have read this thread: 0