something to hold my bike lock and chain?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

something to hold my bike lock and chain?

I have to started cycling to work, which is working well. The only glitch is storage for my bike lock and chain while I am enroute. The lock can be hung over the bars, but the chain is one of those 6 ft long, crazy heavy chains from MEC.

I have a bag that sits on top of the rack on the back of the bike, but it is too valuable to leave on, and a big pain in the arse to remove and reinstall every time I go to and come back from work. I'm looking for something that I can fasten permanently to the rack. It doesn't have to be attractive, but must be nicer than a plastic milk crate .

Any suggestions?

P.S. I've tried a pannier, but the bike is too small, and I only end up hitting my heel on it. Wrapping the chain around the bike frame is not an option, nor is hanging it around my neck.

mtbr member
    How about one of those spider web bungee cargo nets to secure it on top of your rack? You can put it in a fabric bag or something to help steady it then bungee that to the rack.

weirdo
    Why not a cheap trunk bag? Or a lunchbox?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Why not a cheap trunk bag? Or a lunchbox?
    Or an old ammo box? Hmmmm - hadn't of the lunchbox angle. Or a fabric bag and bungee thing. Thanks, folks. Might just be the ticket.

mtbr member
    If you are not stopping on the way there or home and need to lock it so well, then why not leave the big a$$ lock at work ready for you, and carry something light enough to go in your backpack or shoulder bag or around the seatpost for the brief stops? I have a cheap sterilite plastic box bungied on the rack with spare tube, lock and that sort of thing. Easy off, easy on light and easily replaced. You got some other good suggestions, too. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Contemplated that, too, but I do stop elsewhere on rare occasion. Also, it's at a construction site, so when I am not there, but other trades are... temptation might lead someone to take an angle grinder to it and leave me without a chain.

This is the kind of thing I would dig, except less expensive: http://www.rei.com/product/789679

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedreamer
    Or an old ammo box? Hmmmm - hadn't of the lunchbox angle. Or a fabric bag and bungee thing. Thanks, folks. Might just be the ticket.
    Anything metal will probably be noisy with that big chain bouncing around. Just a thought.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Anything metal will probably be noisy with that big chain bouncing around. Just a thought.
    True. However, it is fabric covered, so the noise is minimized.

Who knows, I may build something out of wood, just to get rid of some scrap lumber. And to add a bit of rustic charm to my bike.

weirdo
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Contemplated that, too, but I do stop elsewhere on rare occasion. Also, it's at a construction site, so when I am not there, but other trades are... temptation might lead someone to take an angle grinder to it and leave me without a chain.
    They would steal your chain??? That sux!

I would be tempted to try leaving it at the job site, the commute would be more fun without the extra pounds.

mtbr member
    Contemplated that, too, but I do stop elsewhere on rare occasion.
    If it isn't for a longish happy hour, and it is an unpredicatbale stop, you might get away with a less heavy chain or cable for those infrequent stops. See what errand runners use.

Also, it's at a construction site, so when I am not there, but other trades are... temptation might lead someone to take an angle grinder to it and leave me without a chain.
    Unless you are newbie or someone wants to play a joke on you, they have better things to do especially if the chain is out of sight alongside the rack. But only you can judge the risk.

This is the kind of thing I would dig, except less expensive: http://www.rei.com/product/789679
    Try plastic toolboxes. Some have locks. Much cheaper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc
    ...Try plastic toolboxes. Some have locks. Much cheaper.
    Perfect! I've spotted them for 8 or 10 bucks. That'll do, donkey!

Yeah, maybe they would steal the chain, maybe not, but I'm not leaving it to chance. Besides, carrying that extra 4.5 kg each way adds to my workout.

mtbr member
    Yeah, maybe they would steal the chain, maybe not, but I'm not leaving it to chance. Besides, carrying that extra 4.5 kg each way adds to my workout.
    Yeah, that's what I say about the remaining 20 pounds (50 down): it just adds to the workout. Also saves me being a weight weenie: why spend big bucks for a weaker lighter part to save a few grams when you have 10-20 pounds extra?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hey, me too. Well, except I've got 20 - 30 to go. But that first 15 lbs made a big difference.

Bedwards Of The West
    Is there someplace a block or two away from the jobsite where you can leave the chain and lock up the bike, then walk the couple hundred yards to the jobsite? The kind of dudes that would cut a chain with a grinder just for kicks probably wouldn't be willing to walk 200 yards to do it. Just a thought.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Is there someplace a block or two away from the jobsite where you can leave the chain and lock up the bike, then walk the couple hundred yards to the jobsite? The kind of dudes that would cut a chain with a grinder just for kicks probably wouldn't be willing to walk 200 yards to do it. Just a thought.
    Thanks for the advice, but the walking part is part of the reason I am cycling instead of driving. When I drove, I had to walk a good distance from my car. Now I can ride, and go right to the trailer on site. Awesome!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    And here's what I ended up getting. Just have to mount it on the rack:

http://www.princessauto.com/surplus/...x?keyword=ammo

Moderator Moderator
    Looks like it will do the job...let us know if you run into any trouble from homeland security types.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I might paint it - it kind of clashes with my red bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0