Some advise MTB Commuter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Some advise MTB Commuter

I'm really getting the itch to start commuting to work. I'm currently on a older Giant Sedona, which I actually like a lot. I would eventually like to have a lighter MTB frame commuter, with an 8 speed internal hub, and 1.5+" silcks.

Just last week I put new cranks on my Giant, so I don't really want to pull those parts off just yet. I would like to get my 50$ out of them first.

Should I continue to upgrade my Giant into a decent commuter, or start fresh?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'd throw the slicks on the Giant and see if you like it after a month. If you still want a new bike/frame then, go for it.

That's what I would do...

No-Brakes Cougar
    Slicks are a good move. A rigid fork would also save you some weight and hassle. Fenders if you plan on riding in nasty weather. Lights if you plan on being on the road before sunrise/after sunset. Internal hubs are cool, but they're also heavy and expensive. A lot of folks seem to really like the Shimano Alfine 7-speed hub though.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    If it were me id be tempted to save the coin for a 29er to commute on. If you like the lil wheels, then is the frame worth the money to make it nice? Is it steel? Does it fit well ...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It is a steel frame & it does fit well. I still don't know if I'm going to make this one nice, or start to shop around.

weirdo
    Internal gear hubs and lighter are kind of a contradiction- not badmouthing IG, but they aren`t light (not THAT expensive though).

I like steel better than aluminum and I like chocolate ice cream better than strawberry- as far as I`m frame materials and ice cream flavors are the same kind of choices- it`s all good as long as you like it.

26 inch wheels aren`t "little". Until just a few years ago they were the size that mtbs came in, period. Nobody complained until 622s came into fashion. For a big rider, biggger wheels probably make sense. For short folks like me, 26 allows frame design without compromising to fit a "too big" wheel. For in between riders, I guess you have to flip a coin.

Any HT mountain bike can make for a great commuter.

mtbr member
    I can't think of a really good reason why you shouldn't keep riding the Giant.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Slicks and a rigid (steel) fork for now. Thats ~100 dollars worth of parts. Its a commuter so function over form is beneficial.

Then save your money for a ride that more suits what you're looking for.

dirtbag
    Agree with the guys above. Definitely get some high pressure skinny slicks and maybe cheap rigid fork and fenders if your weather requires. Keep the bike and get your moneys worth out of it. Then keep it as a beater bike once you get a nice commuter.
    Amolan

Members who have read this thread: 0