soma wolverine frame- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    6

    soma wolverine frame

    hi, im new to biking and to the forums . im 26 yrs old 5'9" 268lbs. i have been working hard at losing weight since 10/2/15. I started at 294 lbs. I changed the way i eat,sold my car and have been walking every place . its tax time and i have been doing lots of reading on bike frames and i like the idea of a do all bike. it was surly straggler vs wolverine. after lots of reading i want the wolverine. do i want 52cm or 54cm frame? this bike will be used for commuting/exercise/ light touring . i have no local bike shop, just a sports shop that will order bikes.i live in BFE. i will start a build thread when i get started. i think i can build a bike with research, your guys help, and youtube . any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    824
    Try reading through this thread, there is some sizing discussion in here
    http://forums.mtbr.com/custom-builde...ds-939062.html

    Pay attention to the top tube length on the Wolverine when choosing your size.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    589
    Kudos on the lifestyle reboot and dropped .lbs! At 5'9", I'd be thinking the 54cm, provided you have at least a bit of standover. Much like the Specialized AWOL, the Wolvie has a long top tube, so you should expect to use a shorter stem than with more typical drop-bar geometry.

    For reference, one Wolvie rider I know is 5'7" and rides a 52cm with a 90mm stem, and my wife is 5'3.5" and rides a 50cm with a 60mm stem. The Wolverine is a great bike!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by albeant View Post
    Kudos on the lifestyle reboot and dropped .lbs! At 5'9", I'd be thinking the 54cm, provided you have at least a bit of standover. Much like the Specialized AWOL, the Wolvie has a long top tube, so you should expect to use a shorter stem than with more typical drop-bar geometry.

    For reference, one Wolvie rider I know is 5'7" and rides a 52cm with a 90mm stem, and my wife is 5'3.5" and rides a 50cm with a 60mm stem. The Wolverine is a great bike!
    thanks,based on all the measurements the bike shop i called had me do they recommended i order the 52cm so i did. we will see how it goes

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    6
    i would give that straggler a second thought. it comes as a complete and there will be a lot less headaches. furthermore if there are headaches, i've found that surly is super friendly and responsive whereas soma is quite the opposite(complete blow off). i have a wolverine that i've hardly been able to ride due to slipping dropouts being a complete nuisance, after many attempts at solving... as well as money wasted on mechanics also chasing this problem. i wish i would have just bought a straggler... or a specialized awol for that matter.

    check out this link for alternatives. if i could go back in time, i would buy something different.

    Complete List of Off-Road Adventure Touring Bikes with Pricing - CyclingAbout CyclingAbout

  6. #6
    Positively negative
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,284
    Quote Originally Posted by c0vrtn3y View Post
    i would give that straggler a second thought. it comes as a complete and there will be a lot less headaches. furthermore if there are headaches, i've found that surly is super friendly and responsive whereas soma is quite the opposite(complete blow off). i have a wolverine that i've hardly been able to ride due to slipping dropouts being a complete nuisance, after many attempts at solving... as well as money wasted on mechanics also chasing this problem. i wish i would have just bought a straggler... or a specialized awol for that matter.

    check out this link for alternatives. if i could go back in time, i would buy something different.

    Complete List of Off-Road Adventure Touring Bikes with Pricing - CyclingAbout CyclingAbout
    What issues are you having with the dropouts? I have a Juice that uses pretty much the same design and have had zero issues.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9,889
    Quote Originally Posted by c0vrtn3y View Post
    i have a wolverine that i've hardly been able to ride due to slipping dropouts being a complete nuisance, after many attempts at solving... as well as money wasted on mechanics also chasing this problem.
    Paragon sliders are used on dozens of other frames, even some boutique/custom frames, without such issues. The sliders on my Juice have never slipped. You're doing something wrong or you got something with a defect. Use a torque wrench. 19 ft-lbs on those little bolts os more than you might think.

    https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/...aqadjdrops.pdf

  8. #8
    A God Without A Name
    Reputation: Agwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,326
    yeah, it's funny that Courtney recommends the Straggler and the AWOL, two bikes who have a LOT of complaints about axles slipping/ drop outs slipping.

    Courtney is the second person I'm aware of (at least making noise on the internet) to have issues with paragon sliders slipping.

    The first one resolved the issue on his own. but also accepted that the issue occurred because he used his wolverine like an MTB.

    My sliders slipped exactly once right after I bought it and it was my fault.

    I will agree that Soma needs to up their customer service game. by, a lot.

    The paint is falling off my bike and they just don't care. It's falling off over the decals and every single braze one.

    I like the bike too much to get rid of it. I'll just powder coat it. But I would have felt so much more cared about had they responded to my emails on the issue.

    EDIT: The AWOL is still pretty awesome. It was just slightly too chill handling for my likes, but the Reynolds 520 frameset is really something special. I wish we sold more of them.

    If it wasn't matte black, I might have bought it.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    824
    Did you get your frame direct or through a LBS? Wonder if they would be more responsive to a dealer?

    My sliders have been fine, agree about the weak paint, but overall very happy with the bike.

  10. #10
    A God Without A Name
    Reputation: Agwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,326
    I got it through Universalcycles.com. But I got it in Ogden, Utah. When I lived in Ogden. They're brick and mortar only so much as their agreements with their wholesalers require them to have a "store" in order to keep them.

    I work for a dealer that has a BTI account. And BTI is where Universal ordered my frameset from. But we don't buy a lot from them. And I don't really know if they're even who we should contact. I emailed Soma directly.

    (I know it was BTI, because I called them and said, "BTI has exactly one 52cm Wolverine left, I want it. Can you order it right freaking now?" They said yes.)

    The paint really gets to me. I love the hell out of this bike. But it's only got a few hundred miles on it and it needs refinishing.

  11. #11
    Positively negative
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,284
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I got it through Universalcycles.com. But I got it in Ogden, Utah. When I lived in Ogden. They're brick and mortar only so much as their agreements with their wholesalers require them to have a "store" in order to keep them.

    I work for a dealer that has a BTI account. And BTI is where Universal ordered my frameset from. But we don't buy a lot from them. And I don't really know if they're even who we should contact. I emailed Soma directly.

    (I know it was BTI, because I called them and said, "BTI has exactly one 52cm Wolverine left, I want it. Can you order it right freaking now?" They said yes.)

    The paint really gets to me. I love the hell out of this bike. But it's only got a few hundred miles on it and it needs refinishing.
    I was under the impression that Soma was under Merry Sales' umbrella. Not sure where I herd that though.

    Paint on my Juice has been fine, even where the frame bags rub on it, so it might just be a problem with the Wolverine or a production run of them.

  12. #12
    A God Without A Name
    Reputation: Agwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,326
    They are. But Merry Sales isn't really equipped to serve the whole continental U.S.A. So BTI is an authorized reseller.

    BTI also does Cinelli (Drools)

    Probably already mentioned in this thread, I think... But Soma is like, 1.5 guys at American Cyclery in San Francisco, a handful of people at Merry Sales, and an un named Taiwanese factory.

    I rode the hell out of my old Soma Groove through three winters. That was painted too. It was not this fragile.

    I loved that cappuccino color!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,428
    Orange paint always seems to be flaky, unless you're getting a $500+ paint job. Something about it just doesn't seem to bond well or be durable.

  14. #14
    A God Without A Name
    Reputation: Agwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,326
    Where did you draw that conclusion from? not being critical, I just feel like there might be a story there, that informed your opinion.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,428
    Personal experience with 4 bike brands who use orange paint. I've seen durable paint jobs, but they're been powdercoat or wet primer, white, orange, and clear coated. Paint jobs are a frequent 'cut corner' in production, since a $10 material job looks the same as a $50, at least initially.

    I don't have the time/wherewithal to bother calling the company (and have them say it's confidential info anyway...) to find out their painting process for orange bikes. But If I had to guess, they don't prep the frame adequately, don't rough between white and orange, or don't use an etching primer. But one of two things inevitably happens: the orange flakes off the white, or the paint flakes off period around any protuberances...and I mean any--braze-ons, cable guides, lugs, or welds seem to be common, though.

    Any time somebody wanted something bolted onto an orange frame, I groaned inside. I kept a bag of leather washers to help allay that particular problem, but nothing can fix accidentally brushing something pseudo-hard against the frame and taking a big chip out...stuff that wouldn't phase any other colors I've worked with.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    10
    Hey, just an FYI here guys, Paragon Machine Works does not make anything for Soma. I know they recommend our inserts when using their sliding dropouts but Paragon makes no guarantee that they will work with anything other than Paragon dropouts and so far we have had more than a couple customers email and call us about their Wolverine bikes having slipping issues. We are sorry this is happening but our stuff only goes on handmade bikes and Soma make their stuff in Asia somewhere. Please contact Soma about this so they are aware of the problem.

  17. #17
    A God Without A Name
    Reputation: Agwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,326
    Good to know, frankly your components fit their sliding drop outs better than the stock ones.

    Soma has Tange make the drop outs for them. the word TANGE stamped into the drop out is kind of a clue.

    Edit: While I've not had the slipping issue, the titanium combination head bolts that paragon sells work wonders. they allow you to get things EXTREMELY tight.

Similar Threads

  1. Soma Wolverine Builds
    By emat in forum Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 678
    Last Post: 5 Hours Ago, 07:36 PM
  2. Soma Wolverine Rohloff Speedhub
    By GMT8 in forum Internal Gear Hubs
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-21-2017, 08:39 PM
  3. Any experience on a Soma Wolverine?
    By RPG in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-31-2016, 01:54 PM
  4. SOMA Wolverine for a clydesdale
    By sadbox in forum Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-24-2015, 06:31 AM
  5. Soma Wolverine is in the mail!
    By Agwan in forum Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-16-2014, 03:37 PM

Members who have read this thread: 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.