Soma Groove as a Commuter.- Mtbr.com
    A God Without A Name

Soma Groove as a Commuter NOW WITH A FEW PICS!

17" built on a rigid Soma fork.
    Last edited by Agwan; 10-11-2011 at 08:46 PM. Reason: adding new info!

Did I catch a niner+?
    If I was gearing a commuter I would probably go with a IGH, it just makes sense with all the grim and God knows what else. If I was going to do a der which would be a stretch for me if I were building I would just get a simple LX der cheap and works.

I like Jandd racks, they are aluminum and rather light compared to steel racks, I am not sure on the strength vs a steel.

I have a WTB Silverado on my 700c bike and on my beater commuter I have a Sette saddle, they're made by Velo and dirt cheap plus comfy!
    Sette Rev Saddle at Price Point
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Single-ring multispeed drivetrains are not as easy as they sound. Many users find they still need a chain retention device. I got away with it, more-or-less, when I had a setup like that for a little while, but I'd probably just buy a drivetrain kit with a conventional, multiple chainring crank from one of the discount sites if I was doing a new build.

Depending on the type of drivetrain and riding you're doing, you don't really need multiple chain rings to get enough different gear ratios anymore. Start with how fast you can ride, and work backward. For example, when I was choosing a ratio for my singlespeed bike in NY, I could sustain speeds a little short of 20 mph for long enough to be useful. So I chose a gear ratio that would be most comfortable to pedal at those speeds. I might use a smaller cog now. Since you're doing a multispeed bike, you might do a setup with the biggest chain ring you can fit next to the stay, and figure that if you use a MTB cassette, the low ratios will be sufficiently low to do whatever.

What kind of wheel did you go with? 26" wheels with skinny slicks are small enough to interfere with top speeds on a road descent... A 700C wheel will give you faster max. speeds and a smoother ride if the tires have the same width.

All this stuff can be calculated relatively easily. Better yet, a computer program can do it for you. Here's my favorite.

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

I guess the bottom line, for me, is that I'd start with a 44t ring for a road-going single-ring multispeed mountain bike, if it cleared the chainstay in the middle position. I'd be able to spin out the highest gear ratio on a few descents, but not too many in a city. A chain ring that's built to be used in a singlespeed setup, with a 3/32" chain, is probably going to be the most reliable. For cool factor, I'd be tempted to get a BMX crank if the chainwheels are available that big.

Jeeze. This is part of why I always buy complete bikes. So many choices!
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

A God Without A Name
    I went with a 26" 29er/700c bikes were on my list for a bit... but in the end I just knew my jack of all trades bike, go everywhere bike... would better serve me as an 26er. even if it meant building a slower bike.

but now that I picked a slow bike. I wish to make sure its the fastest slow bike out there. I am not against running road cassettes.

since 4/10/2009
    I just scored a used, but not vintage Brooks B17 saddle on ebay for the cost of most midrange modern saddles new. The seller appeared to be one of those guys who buys storage units and sells off the stuff. So he was looking to turn the item over quickly and make a few bucks in the process rather than trying to maximize the selling price.

While that doesn't appear to be a very common find, there do appear to be some Taiwanese made leather saddles on the 'bay that look reasonably priced. Not Brooks quality, but they'd probably last awhile. This will be my first leather saddle, so I dunno how the comfort will go.

For lights, I have a couple Magicshine lightheads. I use a 6Ah Geoman battery for commuting and will be getting a Magicshine taillight for my new build. It's hard to beat Magicshine for bang/buck. There are much better lights, but at much higher cost. I ride with at least one additional blinkie on my body and I use reflective tape with a rope light wrapped around my frame. My new commuter build will have reflective Velocity Dyad rims, too (getting those wheels built as we speak).

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Agwan View Post
    I went with a 26" 29er/700c bikes were on my list for a bit... but in the end I just knew my jack of all trades bike, go everywhere bike... would better serve me as an 26er. even if it meant building a slower bike.

but now that I picked a slow bike. I wish to make sure its the fastest slow bike out there. I am not against running road cassettes.
    Road cassettes will only make you faster in a couple of pretty specific circumstances. The smallest cog is usually either 11 or 12 teeth; the smallest cog on a MTB cassette is almost always 11 teeth. That's your top speed. Road cassettes have closer spacing. For someone with a narrow power band, which is certainly me if I'm really at redline, that can be an advantage. I think that's true of a lot of people, but mostly only at redline. Some roadies say it's nice in a paceline, but I dunno. On a single ring setup in a city with hills, I'd want a mountain bike cassette. But, I like my low gears.

I realize you're already committed to wheels. But 26" hardtails with disc brakes fit 700C wheels with road tires no problem. The first-year Cannondale Bad Boy is a great example of this. If you find you can't get enough gear inches out of a drivetrain that will fit on your bike, it's something to consider.

Making a road-going hardtail faster is going to be a bit of an uphill battle. Every time you turn around, there's something else that will interfere. The biggest thing is just riding position. You want the lowest, narrowest, least awkward riding position you can get. Least awkward is a bit of a contradiction with narrowest if you do a flat bar setup. If you do drop bars and the bike fits you, you're golden. I don't think it would work with most people who didn't size down a couple of times when they bought their hardtail frames, but a few posters here have done some switching back and forth and say it works.

Finally, how you carry your stuff matters. My suspicion is that a trunk rack screws up the aerodynamics the least, if the rider is in a relatively aero position. Panniers stick out, and a backpack, when there's a lot of stuff in it and the rider is aero, sticks up. But a trunk rack tucks into the low density, turbulent air behind the rider's butt. The only better place is the main triangle, but most people carry more stuff with them than fits there for a commute, and I think you have to get them custom made a lot of the time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I also just started building up a Groove in a 19". I'm using 9 sp Ultegra 13-25 cassette. Start with 35 chainring because I have it. Probably switch to 42 tooth Surly in the future. Have a rack and rack bag. Would like some small panniers for the colder riding and more stuff. Have a NiteRider 600? light. Blinkie for the back. Fenders and studded snow tires. Ancient Specialized MTB seat as well. Salsa fork for the front. Would like to try the Maxxis Holy Roller in 2.4, but will start with Specialized 1.4 Fat Boy. Hope Hubs and Stans rims. BB7 185F and 160 rear.
    Ride by a skate park about every day. Will be using this there as well as working on my wheelie skills- no hurry for taller gearing.
    have fun with yours! Mine will have two wheels, so I know it will be fun!

A God Without A Name
    So here, more or less. is the bike as I have ordered in a pile of parts...
    before you judge some of my choices, remember that 95% of the time this bike will just be on streets... and I have penchant for pretty.
    Soma Groove-17"
    Soma Disc rigid MTB fork
    Origin 8 headset (Red)
    Origin 8 Handlebar(Red)
    Origin 8 Seatpost(Red)
    SRAM X-7 Drivetrain ( from Pricepoint)
    Sun Equalizer Wheelset (Red, From pricepoint)
    Sette AMP saddle(pricepoint)
    Avid BB7's to Avid Speed dials (Pricepoint/amazon)
    Red Jagwire all around (Amazon)

well, those are the highlights. all I really have left to buy is a stem and grips. but I want to ride the bike before I settle on the stem. and I'm debating over whether or not all red custom engraved ODI grips are worth it...

I think they will be.

*Orders*

since 4/10/2009
    I'm going with red bits on my On-One Pompetamine build. Most of those parts are scheduled for delivery tomorrow, with most of the last remaining bits coming into next week. For me, the red parts are the bars, bar tape, nipples, valve stem caps, cable crimps. I thought about red housing, but decided that black would probably look better on my off-white frame. I briefly considered a red seatpost, too, but opted for black. I didn't want to go overboard with the red. Just a tasteful splash. I think I'll be going with some red resin BMX platforms that my LBS has. They're cheap and look like they'll work well enough.

I, too, have not bought a stem yet. I plan to take the mostly-built bike to my LBS and try out different stems...maybe buy a cheap no-name one to tide me over until I can order one that'll match the rest of the bike.

I am stoked about the build. I think it's going to be a fun bike to ride. Not exclusively a road machine, but road oriented enough to speed up my commute. But muscular enough to handle some dirt since I like to ride wherever I feel like in town and also some light trails.

A God Without A Name
    I think our bikes may share a certain spirit! lol!

I honestly wanted the red to be overboard. between the red and the busy handlebar... I want there to be a possibility of people giggling at the sight of my bike.

At the same time I want it to be functional.

I honestly want a bike that is comfy and responsive on the road. that can be taken to the trail with little more than a tire change.

My only doubt on trailability Is the Origin8 parts... they cost so little I feel the quality will reflect that.

since 4/10/2009
    guess you'll find out about those Origin8 parts eventually. I'll be using Origin8 centerlock/6bolt disc adapters.

On-One recommends centerlock hubs for the Pompetamine frame, so I got a wheelset with centerlock hubs...but I don't want to pay an extra $50 or more for centerlock rotors when I have a perfectly good set of 6bolt rotors that came with my BB7's. I got the Origin8 adapter because it came with the lockring.

I'll be anxious to see pics of your ride when it's done. I have a build thread about mine in the On-One forum, but I'll post some finished pics over here.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have an Origin 8 headset. It hasn't been trouble free. There's a little seal thing in the bottom section that got damaged a while ago, and prevented me from adjusting my headset correctly. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, because I can usually adjust threadless headsets. A shop mechanic found it, and for now, I'm just riding without it. He says it doesn't do anything. I'm concerned that I may trash the bearing faster, so maybe I'll try to replace it this winter.

weirdo
    Is there some difference in the brake mounts, or elsewhere in the frame, that makes one type of rotor mount more suitable for certain bikes? I`ve never had or messed with discs, but I thought both systems were completely interchangeable.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Is there some difference in the brake mounts, or elsewhere in the frame, that makes one type of rotor mount more suitable for certain bikes? I`ve never had or messed with discs, but I thought both systems were completely interchangeable.
    On-One Pompetamine Cro-Mo Urban Frame 199.99

On that page, it says,

42mm max tyre clearance- Centrelock disc wheels are recomennded for maximum fork clearance.
    It sounds like it's because of the fork more than the frame, but seems like there's some kind of design issue on the fork that reduces the available clearance for the rotor mount. I am suspicious that I'll still have tight clearance with the 6 bolt adapter, but this way I can run the rotors I have for now and just get some centerlock rotors later when it's time to replace my rotors for one reason or another...or maybe when I find some on sale somewhere.

A God Without A Name
    Finally got a few parts! I'm already so stoked.handlebars mounted with a cheapie clamp till I pick out a nicer one when I fit it.

Already got it dorked up! woohoo!

weirdo
    Looking good, Agwan. I can see why you`re excited.

A God Without A Name
    I am a bit bummed. I ordered Red Jagwire Racer cables. 4 sets. when I needed Red Jagwire Ripcord. So now I need to return about 120 dollars in cable. and wait for the refund. then order the right cable. ARGH.

the rest of it should be here tomorrow. though. Fingers crossed!

I may just pitch and have a Bike shop build this. instead of building it at my local bike collective. I haven't decided. my local Bike Collective has very few open hours. and I don't know anyone with a headset Press, Cassette tool and a chain whip.

weirdo
    Aw, man. With all those goodies, it`s going to be a really nice bike. If you put it together yourself, it`ll undeniably be YOUR really nice bike. How could you dump it off at a shop? If you generally do your own maintenence, you`ll eventually need BB and crank wrenches anyway, you really ought to have a chain whip (which you can make yourself) and a cassette ring tool, and you can press the headset races with allthread and a piece of pipe. Then the only thing you`d have to have the shop do would be prep the BB shell and head tube. Your call, but you know it`ll be a faster bike if you assemble it yourself .

A God Without A Name
    I actually made a headset press with a long bolt and a set of washers tonight! I couldn't wait!

I actually owned the tools at one point. right now I have spent so much on the Parts, that I am cringing to buy more tools! they all add up, and before you know it you've spent 600 MORE dollars on tools!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You ought to pull 'dem parts back off of there (you can leave the headset cups in) and Frame Saver yo' Groove if you haven't done so already.

That being said, sweet bike. I raced XC on a Soma Groove, the Baja Blue old paint job one. It was a really nice frame, but I've since moved to 29" wheels for my mtb's. I still have an old '98 Rockhopper that I right around town though.

since 4/10/2009
    looking good!

ok, so I'm kicking myself a little bit for not ordering a red seatpost for mine. yours looks good. that's okay, I got an Easton EA70 for cheap.

had a hiccup with my wheelset build, so my build finish date is getting pushed back until the wheel issue gets resolved.

the headtube badge on the Soma looks nice. I like HT badges that are actually a separate piece, rather than just painted on.

A God Without A Name
    I like the idea of Frame Saver. but I'd rather just keep everything greased and hope for the best. lol!

My wheels, brakes, build kit should be there when I get home! I'm returning what needs to be returned. and having the LBS do my cables (I just wanted the cables, and the steerer tube cut. but they were just way too nice and gave me too good a deal. so I'm going to have them do a bit of set up, tension the wheels. their great attitude seems to deserve it.)

A God Without A Name
    Sorry to double post, but YAY WHEELS AND BRAKES!

anyone want to recommend a good winter tire? ideal under 40 dollars?

Fat-tired Roadie
    How much of an issue is ice?

I'm a fan of Continental tires. They make a couple of 26" slicks.

A God Without A Name
    depends. but In Utah Ice can be insanely bad for long periods of time. this bike is my car. so I can't skip days riding it.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I haven't tried studded tires. I live someplace that rarely gets much ice. People with icier roads swear by them. I'm sure someone will chime in with a specific recommendation sooner or later.

A God Without A Name

She's done!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Looks like I'm too late to recommend spraying Framesaver inside.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    looks good! Are those reflectors on the spokes and where did you get them? thanks

A God Without A Name
    ^ Sunlite Spoke beads, Red.

Amazon.com: Sunlite Reflective Spoke Beads, Red: Sports & Outdoors

they come in packs of 16 and a variety of colors!

silent when moving. obnoxious when decelerating. but just like the stereo on the handlebars.... bought for noise. to increase my likelihood of being noticed by motorists!

Bedwards Of The West
    Sweet looking ride! I'm late to the party, but I didn't own a chainwhip for years... I short length of old chain and a pair of vice grips works just as well. I also have a custom really-big-bolt headset press. Nice work!
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

A God Without A Name
    Wow is that really all I need to make a Chainwhip? Awesome!

I really want to put a GOOD suspension fork, Ideally air on this thing. but apparently Fox stopped making 80mm travel 26er forks. and this bike is built around that.

Bedwards Of The West
    Agwan, I just put pics of my fender mounting situation in the 'post your commuter photos' thread for you.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Bicycle Addict
    Sweet ride! Are those lights mounted to your seat post and fork? I've never seen any like those.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    Sweet ride! Are those lights mounted to your seat post and fork? I've never seen any like those.
    Indeed they are! they're Knogs. they make quite a variety.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Agwan, I just put pics of my fender mounting situation in the 'post your commuter photos' thread for you.
    wow! thank you!