Sold My Car- Mtbr.com

Thread: Sold My Car

CB of the East

Sold My Car

I stepped up my commuting to nearly every day this year so I decided to ditch my previous daily driver, a 2004 RX-8 that has been my favorite car to date. I'm pretty sad but glad that I've stepped up my commuting enough to do it. I still have a 3/4 ton diesel for work related trips and out of town appointments when I need it.

Swedetarded
    Good on ya.

Natural Born Killer
    Way to commit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I just put $63 in gas into my infiniti today. Starting monday I begin commuting 3 days a week. Hopefully that $63 becomes a monthly thing.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

I'm SUCH a square....
    Hmmm, you sold an '04, and I sold my last car IN '04...lol.

It was a sweet little car, but the engine developed a little 'problem' (like a pretzeled crankshaft), so it had to go -- a new motor would have been more than the price of the car.

NE Indiana isn't kind to bike riders from about T'giving to Easter, so I did a lot of wintertime bus riding...until this last winter, when I FINALLY got some studded tires for the bike! GO, SCHWALBE 304's!

I have yet to regret it.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Professional Nerd
    Congrats. Sold mine last month as well. I've never commuted in winter weather...crossing my fingers things go well.

Dan

weirdo
    I believe the traditional self-reward for selling off your cage is to buy ANOTHER bike

Well, good luck to you, Bedwards. That truck must be pretty expensive to keep fueled up, so I`m sure it`ll be good incentive to ride on those "iffy" days. No frostbite, now!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike View Post
    I just put $63 in gas into my infiniti today. Starting monday I begin commuting 3 days a week. Hopefully that $63 becomes a monthly thing.
    The Trek looked *****'n man.

I've been working from home for the last few months, I can't understand the point of an office anymore, but I do enjoy commuting to work by bike

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler View Post
    Hmmm, you sold an '04, and I sold my last car IN '04...lol.

It was a sweet little car, but the engine developed a little 'problem' (like a pretzeled crankshaft), so it had to go -- a new motor would have been more than the price of the car.

NE Indiana isn't kind to bike riders from about T'giving to Easter, so I did a lot of wintertime bus riding...until this last winter, when I FINALLY got some studded tires for the bike! GO, SCHWALBE 304's!

I have yet to regret it.
    Mine was a sweet little car too. But a few of the RX-8 engines tend to stop working and then you have to invest $6K or you own a really fast looking paperweight. I wanted to make sure that didn't happen on my watch.

Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I believe the traditional self-reward for selling off your cage is to buy ANOTHER bike

Well, good luck to you, Bedwards. That truck must be pretty expensive to keep fueled up, so I`m sure it`ll be good incentive to ride on those "iffy" days. No frostbite, now!
    Don't think I haven't thought of that. At the moment I'm not lusting after anything but I'm going to it as a possibility.

The truck is a diesel and the rotary engine is a gas hog so they get surprisingly similar mileage.

I'm enjoying the extra garage space.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Was thinking about this on the way into work. Buying a house closer to work and the wife is moving her office home. My work just moved so I can ride safely to work again. Only reason to having a car is for the kids. - pick em up run em around. I ride when ever I can, now that school started (just today) the kids can come and go by bus. I dont have to run them to camp....

CB of the East
    Getting rid of a car is like having one less mouth to feed. No registration, insurance, inspection, maintenance or repairs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    This right here for sure.

And splurge a little on more commuting gear that will make it more comfortable and safe so you keep doing it.

Professional Nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    This right here for sure.

And splurge a little on more commuting gear that will make it more comfortable and safe so you keep doing it.
    I've also found that just about any cycling purchase (even if unrelated commuting) is fully supported by my cheapskate wife, now that I sold my pickup truck that I was in love with.

Dan

CB of the East
    I've never had any problem justifying my bike related purchases. I'm nearing saturation...Although, I could use a windbreaker that acts less like a parachute! My heavyweight one is a good fit but my lightweight one sounds like I'm skydiving when I go down hills. I had no regrets over my $100ish Nashbar order yesterday either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Wowie, that takes a lot to get rid of a car. (especially when living in the salt belt) I have sometime thought of it but then again, its nice to be able to hop in and go for a drive...or carry your 4 bags of groceries. Since I stepped up my bike commuting I'm down to driving my car 4 days less a week. I can tell the difference in gas already. Btw, those RX8's are great cars.

Cheers
    Ken

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken's MKV View Post
    ...Btw, those RX8's are great cars.
    Yeah, rub it in. I still have car options. It's hard to get 5 kayaks and a gas grill on a bike. The RX-8 was just my daily driver until I stepped up the bike commuting thing.

Bikeaholic
    Jul 2009
    Congrats sir. It's crossed my mind a lot lately.

CB of the East
    It's been about 2 months and I've still got no regrets. I've had to take my truck to work a total of 2 times since and that was last Thursday and Friday for some logistics.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    It's been about 2 months and I've still got no regrets. I've had to take my truck to work a total of 2 times since and that was last Thursday and Friday for some logistics.
    Dude… that’s the way to stick it to the man! Nice work!!! Meanwhile, I am trying to figure out how to ditch my only car—a Toyota Prius. Gets decent mileage, but is a sucky-ass car… well, the sound system is OK, but driving it feels like having been castrated.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

Bedwards Of The West
    I haven't sold the 2nd vehicle, but commuting has allowed it to become the 'hobby' vehicle instead of the commuter vehicle. So when I'm not on the bike to find my sanity, I'm under the Jeep... I can take on multi-weekend projects without worrying about needing it, insurance is crazy cheap since it's a 'hobby car'. I do all my own maintenance and I put less than 2500 miles on it per year. And I'm not too worried about gas mileage, so the lift and lockers were a no-brainer
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Same for me. My 2nd car (a pickup) became a "pleasure vehicle" for insurance purposes and the rate went way down.

Here at my company, we have a car that the company acquired when we bought another company. Rather than sell the car, the boss decided to keep it and use it as an incentive for employees to bike, bus or carpool to work. So it's available during the day if someone needs to run an errand, make an emergency trip home, etc. Sure is a sweet arrangement.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ That is awesome. I could have avoided some driving days over the years if there was a car around here to grab when I had a meeting somewhere else, etc.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

CB of the East
    I get to use my wife's car during the day for appointments.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Outstanding. My wife and I let the lease on our 2nd car lapse about 10 years ago, and haven't looked back. She has to have the car for her work & shuttling our 2 kids around during the day, so taking the car to work is basically never an option... helps ensure I get on the bike every day, rain or shine! Of course, with year-around bike commuting it helps to life in the SF Bay Area...

We miss the 2nd car maybe 3 times a year.

miwuksurfer
    Congrats man.

I'm SUCH a square....
    I just gotta say this....

Even after 8 years of no car, it STILL feels like I'm getting away with something at times! Today, with the temps about 50, and a stiff breeze out there, my kids and I went out for about an hour or so. These two are almost ALWAYS down for a bike ride, and they are getting more used to dealing with the traffic! (We tend to do a bit of 'urban commando', taking shortcuts and such, looking for fun) The local MUP was beckoning today, but suddenly my boy was missing his XBox 360, so it was a truncated trip. Still fun to roll with the cars making room for us (I get about 50x better behavior from drivers when the kids are along), and to see the gas stations with the $3+ gas, KNOWING I don't have to feed that beast!

Some days, age 53 feels like 23!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Great achievement. Congratulations....

Members who have read this thread: 0