Solar Bike Path- Mtbr.com

Thread: Solar Bike Path

mtbr member

Solar Bike Path

I did a quick search if anyone had posted something related to this. Did not find anything. You might find this interesting. You might not...

Dutch test SolaRoad solar panels on bike path - Technology & Science - CBC News

mtbr member
    Saw this in a non-bike related forum. Holy cow the comments!

Looks interesting. But it'll take a paradigm shift to make it happen in North America.

CB of the East
    Probably because it is the dumbest idea ever.

since 4/10/2009
    I don't think it's THAT dumb of an idea, but I do think that there are better things to turn into solar generating facilities first. Namely, rooftops, especially those on LARGE buildings like shopping centers, factories, and office complexes...which, oh, happen to be huge energy consumers in the first place.

Not to mention the traction issue. I gotta imagine that the coating used to provide traction reduces efficiency.

CB of the East
    My thoughts exactly. Maybe the second dumbest idea ever? Don't get me wrong, I think solar is a great idea. I have solar hot water and hot air panels on my house. My dream retierment house will have solar electric and power itself.

I think putting expensive silicon solar panals in the ground where they will be even more inefficient because of the un-optimim angle, texturing, dirt, scratches and shade to name a few is dumb. The cost per kilowatt is orders of magnitude above rooftop collectors.

Tared roads get torn to shreds by the frost. I don't think the electrical connections would fare well. I also have my doubts about the glass riding surface. Probably not a path you want to take your studded tire bike on. Although snow on glass doesn't sound like it would be grippy either.

since 4/10/2009
    my dream is a small cabin on some acreage, entirely off the grid. solar and wind power sufficient to power the well pump, a few lights, and a few outlets with small nonessentials. Using solar and wind, where possible, without the intermediate electricity generation/storage issue (windmill directly runs well pump, solar water heating, etc).

I've not heard of solar hot air panels before. How do you like those?

CB of the East
    ^^The hot air collectors aren't that effective for me. The roof is way too far away from the space we would like to heat. I think they would be good if you wanted to heat a space adjacent to the collector.

Hot water on the other hand has been great. It heats about 95% of our water in the summer. Too many cloudy days in a row is it's only downfall.