• 06-29-2009
    jut8
    So I decided i want to commute....bike options
    So I work 2 jobs, during the school year I teach high school, and in the summer I work part time at the local bike shop. From my house it is less than 4 miles to get to both locations, so was thinking it was silly to get in my car and drive for such a short commute that I could easily do on my bike. The route does have some hills that will require gears (well for me anyways!), so i am trying to pick out bike that will work for me. The only thing i am going to be carrying with me is a messenger bag with my laptop and some paper work to and from.

I have been on an MTB and Road bike for years, and at the shop we have a specialized Vienna that is just a blast to ride. I can get one real cheap, and it seems to fit the bill, i can add fenders and such later if i think i might need them.

Then i got to thinking.....hmmm.....I have an 09 specialized roubaix elite in my basement that i rarely ride, and when i do its with my wife who is not a very strong rider, and the rides seem almost "boring" because the bike seems so fast and she is not. So then i got to thinking maybe i could sell or trade my roubaix in on a Specialized Tricross (as you can tell the shop sells specialized!) It would probably be a tad slower so the rides with her would be enjoyable, it would be a great commuter bike(it accepts racks and fenders), our local mtb race series has 2 cyclocross races in it, so i could ride a CX bike in those instead of my mtb, and it would be an even trade for the tricross thus taking less $$ out of my pocket.

What do you think, keep my road bike and get the Vienna as a dedicated commuter, or sell/trade the Roubaix and get the Tricross?
  • 06-29-2009
    split.therapy
    Tricross
  • 06-29-2009
    pogliaghi
    If you're not using the Roubaix, sell it! Get the Tricross. IMO, a cyclocross bike is a reasonable road ride. It may not be as quick, e.g. it doesn't accelerate as well nor climb as efficiently, but you can cruise the flats at a pretty good clip and it's just as fun on the downhills.
  • 06-29-2009
    jut8
    Thanks! I just put the Roubaix up on eBay pretty darn cheap hoping it sells quick, and it sounds like its going to be the Tricross, my one buddy keeps talking about the Trek Portland, but i like the look of the Tricross.
  • 06-29-2009
    rodar y rodar
    Mmmmm. Tricross = tasty.
  • 06-30-2009
    RobertUI
    I've got to chime in on the Tricross too, I have always been a fan of CX bikes... just picked up the Motobecane Fantom UNO (currently fixed) and LOVE it, I was surprised to find that I don't miss my road bike (had an Allez Sport).
  • 06-30-2009
    rkj__
    go with the cross
  • 06-30-2009
    ryball
    Go with the tricross. It has fender and rack mounts and room for big tires. It has nice long chainstays so you can fit a fender in there and not have to worry about heel clearance with panniers.

When I was looking, it was down to the tricross or building up a Salsa La Cruz.
  • 07-01-2009
    jut8
    I think i am going to go with the Tricross, although one buddy of mine also suggested the Trek Portland. But i think the Tricross is the way to go for me, the shop has a left over 07 Tricross expert they are blowing out, and a 2009 Tricross comp and expert at regular price. I am leaning toward the left over, unless they can give me a real good price on a 2009 expert with the 2010's coming out. Also going to pick up a Timbuk2 Commute messenger to carry my laptop and keep it safe. Hopefully i can pick the new bike up today!
  • 07-01-2009
    jut8
    I think i am going to go with the Tricross, although one buddy of mine also suggested the Trek Portland. But i think the Tricross is the way to go for me, the shop has a left over 07 Tricross expert they are blowing out, and a 2009 Tricross comp and expert at regular price. I am leaning toward the left over, unless they can give me a real good price on a 2009 expert with the 2010's coming out. Also going to pick up a Timbuk2 Commute messenger to carry my laptop and keep it safe. Hopefully i can pick the new bike up today!
  • 07-11-2009
    tsp_2177
    what bike did you get?
  • 07-11-2009
    Schmucker
    Don't get the Timbuk2. They suck. There are plenty of better options out there.
  • 07-11-2009
    jut8
    I ended up getting a 2010 Tricross Comp. Its very sweet, and very fun and smooth to ride. Its seems to fit the bill perfectly for what I needed.

What would do you recommend over the Timbuk2, you are the first person to not recommend it, just wondering why, and what I should look at. I want something waterproof for my laptop.
  • 07-11-2009
    moralleper
    My wife and I have 5 different Timbuk2 bags ranging from 6 months to 6 years old and all of them look as new as the day we got them. the oldest was my commuting bag for a few years and a school bag as well. My wife's have been commuting bags to diaper bags. the newest is the laptop version of the messenger bag. I love the bags and could not be happier with them.
  • 07-11-2009
    pogliaghi
    Banjo Brothers Commuter Backpack :thumbsup:
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jut8
    What would do you recommend over the Timbuk2

We have several Timbuk2 messenger bags in my home. My son has two, one laptop and the other a large. They seem to work for him in the rain, but his commute is short 2-3 mi.

I prefer backpacks as I've never been comfortable with a single strap setup. I went for a Banjo Brothers Commuter Backpack. Comfortable on my shoulders, fits securely with sternum and belt straps. Got it because I have ridden 15 mile commutes in pouring rain. I kept things dry for many years by wrapping with a garbage bag and before sticking things in my pack. I've yet to test this during a really wet ride, but the reviews I read are positive. This site links to some good reviews.