Smart Hat?????- Mtbr.com

Thread: Smart Hat?????

Moderator Moderator

Smart Hat?????

Smart hat could be the answer to cyclist registration, councillor says...

No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au

mtbr member
    Cyclist can pay with their lives if they flout traffic law and too frequently also die when motorists do. When is the last time a cyclist killed a motorist? Yet I have read twice in the last couple of weeks that cyclists were called "dangerous" by motorists. Dangerous to whom exactly? Motorists kill far more pedestrians by any measure. The only motorists I know who were hurt by a cyclist had the crap beat out of them after screwing up and hitting the cyclist.

Compulsory helmet use appears to cut bike use. Do we need more obese people and their health costs so that we are wanting to reduce cyclist numbers? Besides the ugliness factor on this prototype is an insult to cyclists everywhere. I think the fashion conscious would join cyclists in a revolt as it is revolting as shown.

Seems to me that an imposed helmet law that specifies the helmet to be worn shifts the responsibility for a safe, effective and comfortable helmet to government. Anyone else have a problem with that? I can see the CYA effort but civil servants come out with a 100 pound steel reinforced concrete one. to be carried on the shoulders.

Assuming that a safe and reasonable helmet can be devised, to me that requires that the helmet be demonstrated to improve safety. Also the current air bag issues show that this is not an easy thing to execute by government regulation through contractors.

It worries me that I see absolutely nothing on improved safely other than a comment that regular helmets are not particularly good in that area. If you are going to force a heavy ugly helmet on cyclists for a fee, it had better work. I can see a massive civil disobedience movement, if not.

Also why no flashing light response to approaching cars like the one for pedestrians? It is the same technology. Maybe pedestrians should be licensed and have helmets too?

Why no lights front or rear to protect the cyclist other than the stupid signal lights that likely won't be seen and appear to be a way to make us break more laws?

If this is was linked to a vulnerable road user protection with stiff penalties that were enforced on motorists, this might be a fair exchange. I mean you penalize all riders for the 10% who are douchebags? The Ninja rider is breaking numerous laws you don't need a helmet with a plate on it to pull him over and cite him.

Past efforts in several (many?) jurisdictions to license bicycles raised less money than the administration costs. Also cyclist do pay for the roads.

Maybe I missed something but it seems like BS to me. And I wear a helmet festooned in lights and pretty ugly but it isn't in the same league. Maybe I am just a curmudgeon.

mtbr member
    ^ I think all/most of australia already has a mandatory helmet law. So this is just adding more stupid on top of that. But yeah, from everything I've read the doodle that they're showing would basically be a concussion factory.

mtbr member
    Considering cars kill 30000+/year and injure hundreds of thousands, where are the mandatory helment laws for motorists; and, 5-point safety harnesses, roll cages, Hans devices, flame-retardant clothing. Cars already have registration laws, but that doesn't stop countless people from driving with no license, registration, or insurance. Not to mention the simple physics involved between the two modes of transport.

This idea is rubbish, even the inventor thinks so, "But Mr King acknowledged the proposal was controversial, saying he would prefer to keep his name out of the public eye in case of any backlash from cyclists against the idea of compulsory registration."

since 4/10/2009
    I think concussions would be the least of our worries with that gawdawful lid. Seems to me that a glancing blow on that thing would wrench your neck to the side and run a high risk of snapping your spine.

far too many people equate helmets with safe riding. It's crap. You can wear a helmet and still ride like a moron.

And what does registration do? Not a damn thing. Enforcement of laws does not require registration. maybe if you want red light cameras to be able to catch cyclists so you can mail them tickets, but this solution doesn't really solve that problem. Not really.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    maybe if you want red light cameras to be able to catch cyclists so you can mail them tickets, but this solution doesn't really solve that problem.
    It just means that everyone should ride salmon, so that the cameras are pointing the wrong way and can only get pictures of the front.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'll register my bike as soon as roads are built for bikes and I can get on the expressway.

mtbr member
    Nate I also thought it would at least wrench the neck. Headrests and whiplash suggest how frail our necks are with the g-loads of an impact. My inertia in a spill at 15 mph was close to 1800 pounds at impact, so I tore the daylights out of that shoulder instead of breaking my collar bone. Strong bone I guess. Why should we risk our necks literally for signals people won't see, for enforcement too stupid to catch scofflaw cyclists, and which likely won't net any income for the government imposing the rules. Hope the Aussie Cyclists stop this insanity.

Moderator Moderator
    I would give all the bikes an E-Z Pass instead, only instead of charging tolls, the riders would get a credit for reducing congestion, pollution, wear and tear on the roads, and general disconnectedness.

mtbr member

The person who designed that monstrosity should either commit Hari-Kari or go into a new line of work.

I wish people would give up on the whole registration thing. It's been tried and found to not only not work, but cost more money than it brings in. San Diego comes readily to mind in this regard. Unfortunately, fascism never seems to go out of style.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model