Small Storage bag- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Small Storage bag

I commute to work daily and use one pannier to carry a change of clothes, lunch, all of my other bike related stuff (multi tool, patch kit, etc.). I am looking for another storage option to keep all of the bike related stuff with room for my cell phone and wallet. What do you guys use. I would rather not use a saddle bag, I want something I can easily access while riding. I have been considering either this Jandd frame pack8 or the revelate designs feedbag. Thoughts?

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I have both. There both great.

The Jandd may limit access to water bottle cages and hinder locking opportunities. The Feedbag is much smaller and may not fit if your bars are super high.

Bedwards Of The West
    Can't beat the frame bag for access while riding. I hate panniers/bags/stuff strapped to the bike, but my fatbike came with a frame bag and I'm a total convert. Super convenient. It would be a pain to take off and carry with you though, if that's a consideration for you.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    I have both also. I agree the feedbag is quite small, it may fit a smallish wallet, med cellphone, multitool & patch kit, but not much else (for example a spare tube would then be homeless). It's high point is quick access, for instance I've used mine on trips to carry a pointnshoot camera and small monocular for wildlife sightings.

On my small frames the Jannd can't be used with the water bottles, so I don't use it that often. Unless they have changed the design, it is all black inside, making it harder to find items, depending on what they are and how consistently you pack. It has plenty of room for tubes, tools, windbreaker, etc.

weirdo
    How is your security situation? If you feel safe leaving patch kit, pump, and other tools on the bike, I`d do that (mini saddlebag for patches, spoons and allens + frame mounts for pump) and use some kind of removeable bag for daily stuff like lunch and clothes.

Personally, I like my big front bag, which is more or less like a large bar bag except that mine mounts to the fork. Can fish out a camera, swap gloves, or stash sun glasses pretty easily even while rolling. I`ve never tried a frame bag, but they seem pretty convenient too. Except I wonder if it makes for a PITA when you hop off and try to grab the TT to carry the bike through a door or up a set of steps or something? I have a folder with no TT and it`s surprising how often I miss that "handle" right there.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ...it is all black inside, making it harder to find items, depending on what they are and how consistently you pack.
    Dang near all bike bags are all black inside and out. Sucks for a variety of reasons.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I would go for either a bar bag with a quick release or if you are looking for something smaller, a gas tank like bag. The latter are used fairly often in bike packing. I have one that on day rides Carries a couple granola bars, my wallet, a tube, and a compact pump.

jrm
    mtbr member
    One of these. Holds everything i need and is easily removed / re-installed on numerous bikes.

Small Handlebar Bag | Banjo Brothers

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    One of these. Holds everything i need and is easily removed / re-installed on numerous bikes.

Small Handlebar Bag | Banjo Brothers
    I got a Sunlite bag like that for a tour I did a few years ago with the intentions of using as a purse when I went in town. It worked well but IMO the attachment was more fiddly then it could have been. I just kept thinking how much better it would have been with buckles or something quicker.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback! Based on what I've heard I'm really leaning toward the frame bag. Security isn't an issue, I always bring the bike inside (either at home or work) so it won't need to be easily removed. And I would rather have something with too much space vs too little, I like the idea of being able to store a light jacket or shirt. I've got a fairly large frame so I don't think it will get in the way of water bottles, I rarely use water bottles anyway.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Except I wonder if it makes for a PITA when you hop off and try to grab the TT to carry the bike through a door or up a set of steps or something? I have a folder with no TT and it`s surprising how often I miss that "handle" right there.

Dang near all bike bags are all black inside and out. Sucks for a variety of reasons.
    That is indeed an issue for me. I'm developing a technique of grabbing a handful of seatpost/top tube/seat stays right at the back of the frame bag. It's not as natural as grabbing the top tube, and that fatbike is heavy when it's loaded, so it's definitely an issue.

BUT, my frame bag is black outside, and bright red on the inside. At least I have that going for me.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    At least a TT you can`t grab works to hold the bike upright at stop lights. The folder is REALLY weird in that situation. Like I said, you never realize how much you use a TT until you don`t have one!

Bright on the inside is something. Still heats up your balogna sandwich in a solar oven, but I bet it is a lot nicer to find stuff in.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    I've found a lot of vintage (late 70s/early 80s) touring gear is much better thought out and useable than newer systems.

I have a Cannondale (before they made bikes) handlebar bag that fits: lock, tools/tubes, two layers, personal stuff, with room to spare.

It seems contemporary commuting/touring bag makers are over engineering their systems: too much plastic and mechanical parts.