SKS P45 Fenders

Printable View

• 06-06-2009
    emtnate
    SKS P45 Fenders
    I just bought and installed some SKS fenders on my cross check. As noted in many reviews the instructions were quite poor.

What is the best way to adjust them to get them the right and even distance from the wheel? Should I just cut the supports down to size, or is there a better way?
  • 06-07-2009
    rodar y rodar
    Quote:

Originally Posted by emtnate
    What is the best way to adjust them to get them the right and even distance from the wheel? Should I just cut the supports down to size, or is there a better way?

You mean to adjust by the wire stays or are you having problems with the locations where there isn`t an easy adjustment (like at the brake bridge and chainstay bridge)? You can leave teh stays full length if they don`t get in the way of anything- I cut mine off with a grinder, mostly for looks. Now I wish I`d left a little extra length on my commuter because I`m limited to the tire size that I originally fitted the fenders for. I put another set on a different bike and still chopped them, but not so short.
  • 06-07-2009
    emtnate
    I just need to adjust the wire stays. On the front fender, they are too long. Even set all the way into the end caps and tightened down, the fender sits about an inch beyond the wheel. It causes a little toe overlap, which isn't a big deal since I rarely turn that sharply, but it looks off. I thought about cutting them with the dremel, but was concerned about different tire sizes.

The other thing I could try is removing the 'safety clip' and just bolt the stays directly to the braze-ons. It looks like that would free up about 1/4 - 1/2 inch.
  • 06-07-2009
    rodar y rodar
    2 Attachment(s)
    Okay, let`s see if I have it straight. Because of the "saftey clip", I guess you`re talking about just the front one? And either you`re getting toe overlap with the fender when it`s all the way out to the end of the stays or, if you push it in closer to the wheel the wire stays stick out way past the fenders?

If I understand yor situation right, get the fender where you want it, then you can trim the stays with the Dremmel- that`ll work good. If you can scrounge up a piece of sheet metal, or even an old spatula or something, I suggest holding it behind the stays when you cut them. I was trying to be careful when I cut mine (with a small angle grinder) and I nicked the plastic anyway. Just a few more suggestions though- like I said above, leave yourself some extra length for the stays unless you`re positive you won`t want to put bigger tires on there. I`d say half inch minimum, 3/4 better. Also, you might want to ride it for a while before you trim the stays. On the first one that I did, I had the fender too close and little pebbles would get sucked up by the tire and then I`d hear them rattling around for a few seconds while they tried to escape, so after about a week I ended up moving my fenders out to the very end of the stays. It`s perfect with the tires I`m using, but I`ll have to buy new stays or ditch the fenders if I ever want to go from 1.5 to 1.75 tires. What I think I did right on the first setup was to place the fender closest to the tire on the back side (where the tire is going into the fender) and gradually move it farther from the tire as it goes around to the front so that anything sticking to my tire gets to the narrow gap first and if it makes it by there, the gap gets progresively bigger so hopefully nothing will wedge itself in. Without any modifications, the fender fit so-so, but here are a few mods that I did to get it just how I wanted it- maybe they`ll work for you too. BTW, the pics were from before I moved the fenders out- they`re too close to the tire in these shots.
  • 06-07-2009
    emtnate
    Here's some pictures

There is not enough room to adjust the fender close enough to the tire. The end of the stays hits the end of the caps. Unless I don't need those plastic caps that snap to the fender before attaching the stays and bolts...

I'm mostly happy with the positioning of the rear fender. All I need to to is fashion a longer bolt to the bridge between the chainstays to compensate for the position of the wheel in the dropouts. No big deal, the next day I work I can rummage through the spare bolts in the shop and see what I can do.
  • 06-07-2009
    rodar y rodar
    Quote:

Originally Posted by emtnate
    There is not enough room to adjust the fender close enough to the tire. The end of the stays hits the end of the caps. Unless I don't need those plastic caps that snap to the fender before attaching the stays and bolts...

I`m sorry, Nate- I don`t follow what you here. Plastic caps that snap to the fender? Maybe they`ve changed the design a little since I got mine, although the ones I just bought in Feb were exactly the same as the ones I bought a couple years ago and neither had anything that snapped to the fenders. You aren`t talking about the little rubber condom ends for the stays, are you? That`s all I can think of, but I imagine it`s something else because they wouldn`t keep you from adjusting the fender closer to the tire. The only adjustment on mine comes from sliding the fender in or out along the stays or by the little slots where those moveable stainless bridges bolt directly to the bike.
  • 06-08-2009
    emtnate
    Yeah, those little rubber / plastic condom ends for the stays. I had to snap them into the fenders. They are closed on one end, so the end of the stays prevents more than about 1/2 inch of adjustment. With them in place, I could not move the fender closer to the wheel.

I ended up taking them off and can adjust everything as needed. Now the ends of the stays stick out, but that's not a big deal. I wasn't sure if I needed those caps or not. It seems tight. We have nasty thunderstorm with hail coming now, so I'll stay inside. Maybe after it passes I'll go for a ride and see how they work.