• 06-01-2008
    r1Gel
    skate-style lids for commuting
    Hi all.

What are your thoughts on using skate-style helmets for commuting? Too hot?

I'm digging the new Fox Transition. Seems much better ventilated than other skate-style lids I've seen, and offers more coverage than your regular MTB helmet. And the price is nice too :D

Note: my commute to work is only about 6km each way.

TIA
  • 06-01-2008
    jetta_mike
    They are a little warmer, but they make you feel more protected. I think the trade off is worth it.
  • 06-02-2008
    DPL
    I won't wear anything except skate style helmets (apart from my full face). Mine's a TSG Evolution and it's the third hard shell helmet I've owned in the last 6 years. I decided to start wearing hard shell helmets instead of microshells simply because I feel safer wearing one. It protects the back of my head much better than a microshell, it's very smooth so there are no snag points to catch if I fall and it just feels a lot more solid than a microshell. It's a little hotter, but I can still wear it for 6 hours solid in Summer and not worry about it, and as soon as I put it on I immediately feel like I'm wearing something that really will protect me properly if I fall, which is good because safe and protected is exactly how I want to feel when I put my helmet on. It looks cool as well!

I think it's a good choice. Go for it!
  • 06-02-2008
    luckybastard
    Get one with he speakers built in...
  • 06-03-2008
    fsrxc
    I use one in cooler weather, but in the summer I use an MTB helmet since it's vented and has a visor (nice for riding into the early morning sun).
  • 06-04-2008
    PimpinD
    Some of the new Giro Helmets for MTB are similar in style to skate helmets but offer better ventilation while providing more coverage. I just ordered a Xen and the Hex also looks like it would cover the back of your head a bit more.
  • 06-04-2008
    fsrxc
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PimpinD
    Some of the new Giro Helmets for MTB are similar in style to skate helmets but offer better ventilation while providing more coverage. I just ordered a Xen and the Hex also looks like it would cover the back of your head a bit more.

Yeah actually the Hex is the one I have. It doesn't come quite as far down in the back as the Xen, but it's light and comfortable, and has an adjustable visor.
  • 06-04-2008
    umarth
    Man, if you are looking for protection, do it right.... Doesn't matter if your brains are intact if your money maker is bent out of shape.