Silicone bar tape- Mtbr.com
    since 4/10/2009

Silicone bar tape

Today I scored a freebie at work...some Serfas silicone bar tape.

https://www.serfas.com/products/view...ies%7Cbar-tape

The stuff feels pretty soft and tacky, and according to the box, you can adjust the thickness based on how much you stretch it. It also looks to be re-wrappable, and has some sort of limited lifetime warranty. I'm a little baffled by a lifetime warranty on bar tape.

Anyone tried this stuff or something similar? It's definitely on the steep end of the bar tape price range at $45. I doubt I'd have bought it myself otherwise, but since I got it for free, why not?

mtbr member

Silicone bar tape

I use Lizard Skinz bar tape, which seems to be similar to the Serfas stuff, although I don't think it's silicone. Either way, it's the comfiest stuff I've had on the bars, and provides a great grip without feeling gummy or tacky. The best part is that it doesn't get slick like Rubiax style tape, nor does it hold sweat and get that commuter funky stank. Keep us updated.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

since 4/10/2009
    My shop sells the Lizard Skins stuff. That stuff is textured while the silicone is smooth. They feel similar, but the silicone has a fairly distinctive feel even still. The Lizard Skins stuff is more like it than the really thin Fizik I currently have on my commuter. I've been thinking about getting some new bar tape for more comfortable grip. I have been leaning towards the Lizard Skins or the Zipp Service Course CX tape because they are both pretty well padded without going the length of putting gel inserts under the tape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Any updates on the serfas silicone tape? I've been curious about it since it came out last fall as a possible bar tape for my CX bikes that grips like lizard skins but survives the occasional slide better. Seems like the lizard skins tears pretty easily and it's pricey to replace.

Torn between it and the serfas textured grippy tape which is pretty close to the lizard skins but a little more durable and easier on the pocket book. Running the serfas textured stuff on my sscx and generally like it but thought the silicone might be even a little better. Maybe even too grippy?