Shower pass reviews- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Shower pass reviews

Currently gonna be riding in the PNW so In the need of good winter and rain clothes. Anybody use shower pass clothes

Moderator Moderator
    It's good stuff. I'm in VT. The first jacket I got though I over-bought, it is too sturdy and warm for anything but a gale wind, and sleet, too warm for rain. Than I got the lighter cheaper Double Century EX, and it is way more versatile. When it snows I switch to a softshell, but in a good rain at 65F or less it keeps me dry and warm. Their rainproof cap is also very cozy, alone, or over a thin beanie.

Human Test Subject
    I have some of their pants, but can't remember the model name off the top of my head. They fit length wise until I start pedalling, then they slide up and expose my legs a few inches above my ankles. They're more water resistant than water proof.

I'm not really impressed with them.

EDIT- they're the skyline pants

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have a love/hate relationship w/ Showers Pass. They're in Portland, they're a sponsor of my team, they make some great stuff...
    Unfortunately, the sizing is all over the place.
    I own 2 SP jackets (sponsor, remember) and 4 SP rain pants. I can't imagine what freak of nature they used to model the Roadie Pant. It's successor, the Skyline Pant is definitely better, but still a bit wonky. I also have the Club Convertible Pant, which I use most, often as a knicker. The Hybrid Zip-Off is nice and would be a nice urban commuter pant, although they're insanely long...
    Of my rain jackets, I prefer the Double Century by far. It's light enough that I use it a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I have some of their pants, but can't remember the model name off the top of my head. They fit length wise until I start pedalling, then they slide up and expose my legs a few inches above my ankles. They're more water resistant than water proof.

I'm not really impressed with them.

EDIT- they're the skyline pants
    Did you read the product description before you purchased?
    (emphasis mine)
    "Technical 3-Season Pants are specially designed to only be waterproof in critical areas, so they can flex with the leg muscles and provide exceptional breathability on the sides. Developed for winter cycling, the Skyline Pants have become the cool weather companion of runners, nordic skiers and snowshoers alike. This style replaces the Roadie Pant, now with more reflective trim and 4 way stretch sides."

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Year-round Seattle rider. I wear a SP Double Century jacket when the temps are above 40. Below 40 I switch to a SP Elite. I also wear the SP Club Shoe covers in the winter...my feet stay dry and they act like a wind break to keep them warm.

Human Test Subject
    Yes I read the description. Not even the top is waterproof. Also I'm from Minneapolis so 3 of my seasons are all way too extreme for these pants.

My main problem is the length and lack of being able to pedal without them sliding up. I have exposed leg while wearing waterproof lake mx145s.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have their old Mountain bike jacket that I use as a commuter jacket and I'm happy with it other than the the undersized hood (but that's detachable). I see a lot of Showers Pass gear on commuters in Portland so they must be doing something right. As a cautionary tale, I got my son an old version of the Double Century on closeout and the pit zips statred tearing out after a few months but that may be down to his habit of leaving them open all the time and being a teenager.
    Endura also makes some very good commuter jackets that I see a lot on the train.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.

Afric Pepperbird
    Has anyone who uses SP also used J & G breathable raingear? I've got my eye on this jacket, and at $100, it's cheaper than a SP. They are also Oregon based.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Gonna check out that company

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I bought the Club Pro jacket like a year ago when I went to a wedding in the PNW and forgot to bring a jacket (I live on the east coast and forgot that it apparently rains in the PNW).

It sucks. I have proper DWR jackets, this is not one. I rarely use it, but I used it the other day to commute in a light shower (light) and it was soaking thru within 15 minutes.

That plus it was 60 degrees and I was sweating my balls off inside it. I then chose to take it off and just be wet from rain instead of sweat.

Not saying the whole company sucks! But that jacket sure does.

It prompted me to post this to a local biking FB page that day:

Name:  53711421.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  69.3 KB