Show Us Your First Aid Kit!- Mtbr.com
    The Brutally Handsome

Show Us Your First Aid Kit!

I decided to throw some first aid supplies in my tool kit. I chose items based on the goal of stopping and sterilizing mild to moderate bloodletting injuries. Here's what I have, please share what you carry!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show Us Your First Aid Kit!-first-aid-kit.jpg  

Bedwards Of The West
    That's about exactly what I have permanently stored in the camelbak. I haven't carried anything 1st aid related on the commute, ever. Maybe I should start...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the reminder. I had seen a post about first aid kits and riding a while back and ment to make a first aid kit part of my riding gear... somehow it dropped off my radar... Back on now.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wrap it up in a tensor bandage.

The Brutally Handsome
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy33
    Thanks for the reminder. I had seen a post about first aid kits and riding a while back and ment to make a first aid kit part of my riding gear... somehow it dropped off my radar... Back on now.
    Absolutely! Not only good for personal use, but you may be the first to roll up on an accident, which reminds me that I should also throw in some nitrile gloves!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    That's about exactly what I have permanently stored in the camelbak. I haven't carried anything 1st aid related on the commute, ever. Maybe I should start...
    +1 and a mini roll of Duct tape when I rode the Habitat 500. But I have never carried that kit other than that week, used it, too, on another rider. Generally you either get minor scrapes that can wait until you are home (after you brush the grit off) or you need an ambulance (and prayers). On a 70 mile ride maybe 20 miles to a rest stop, it was a different story. Still, it isn't like this is a ton of added weight. The Duchess with tools, tube, folding tire, CO2, lights, battery, filled water bottle, is 36 pounds. The errand bike with racks, cooler, D lock, cable lock, and the cheap but heavy panniers is over 70 pounds.

Reaching into a handlebar bag or wedge pack with greasy hands from a chain incident would not be good for a tensor bandage wrapped pack if it is not in a lock-top plastic bag or something like a tire patch kit case but bigger. The wrapped up concept is good.

mtbr member
    I took two small bottles that originally had hotel hand cream in them, and put Hibiclens in one, and Iodine in the other, along with a kit like the one in the photo above that I made from a J&J mini kit I got at the .99c store. Added a 3" roll of gauze, some more wipes and big bandaids, a few asprins and vitamin E pills (to open and put on road rash). Figure I can cleanse a wound with my water bottle and Hibiclens, then use Iodine/E, then wrap appropriately. The whole thing goes into a ziplock and then into my trunk bag. I made similar kits for the MTBs (fit in seat bags as sometimes on short rides I leave the camelback at home and use bottles.) It may sound weird, but add a few tampons to your kit. Not for the obvious use, but they are a sterile cotton like material that is very absorbent and can be pressed into service to keep a large open wound covered and clean.

Had to use such a kit not to long ago to help a poor soul with a compound fracture just above the ankle. I could stick my fist in his leg; we used tampons; big bandaids and the plastic bag to keep it clean and covered.
    Tzvia.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I keep my first aid in my flask. Works for everything.

Members who have read this thread: 0