Should I be upset about this?- Mtbr.com
    Human Test Subject

Should I be upset about this?

So All City put out a promo video for their new color Mr Pink today. It features some hipsters chasing each other between traffic lanes going the wrong way in a 1 way.
    Should I be upset about this?-allcity.jpg

Should I be pissed off about this? It's in my home town and a few blocks from where I commuted to work. It seems like corporate encouragement of illegal and dangerous riding and goes in the wrong direction of how I want to be viewed as someone who bikes for transportation and fun.

They may have taken all the precautions necessary to film safely, but I don't think that counts for much.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Looks more like a parking pot than traffic lanes

Did I catch a niner+?
    I work a few blocks from there.... I just do not care.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

since 4/10/2009
    I'd say something about it.

Human Test Subject
    I did on their Facebook page. I was called "cool" by some dude. I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

No, Hipsters should go extinct anyway. No need to slow the process.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

Based on a true story
    Oct 2015
    It's cyclists doing stupid stuff like what's shown in OPs picture (among other things such as running red lights and stop signs) that make motorists hate the rest of us.
    1989 Trek 820 as my commuter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yes! You should always be angry at things you have absolutely no control of!

mtbr member
    I'm fully in support of shaming idiot businesses. Individuals can be as stupid as they want, but once you start making money off of it, you can go f* yourself.

jrm
    mtbr member
    If i encountered one of these guys splitting lanes riding upstream while im splitting lanes riding with the flow of traffic yeah id be pissed. And i dont know if id yield to um honestly.

mtbr member
    Well no need to be personally upset by this, but it is definitely not something you should agree with either. At least I think it would have been better if they would behave better.

Here in Germany they even have a special name for that kind of cyclists. Translated it would mean something like "battle bikers". Those are the ones that give cyclists a bad reputation.

When I understand correctly, they are breaking all kinds of rules so when they are even publishing it commercially, local police should be able to take care of it?

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Saw that video myself when I was researching the Nature Boy. I too felt it was irresponsible to show riders breaking the law or at the very least, riding in an unsafe manner.
    Same can be said for this video hosted here: Video: Pactimo ? The Ride - Mtbr.com

Rider leaves in the dark, no lights, and heads out into traffic.

Human Test Subject
    I try to be an ambassador for my sport and companies that pull this crap really don't help.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Here in Germany they even have a special name for that kind of cyclists. Translated it would mean something like "battle bikers". Those are the ones that give cyclists a bad reputation.
    Bitte, wie sagt man das auf Deutsch?

Human Test Subject
    Probably something awesome like Radjager

mtbr member
    Die werden "Kampfradler" genannt :-)

Edit: I hope the link works:

https://translate.google.de/translat...n-6400034.html
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 10-08-2015 at 10:03 PM. Reason: link added

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I try to be an ambassador for my sport.....
    Reputation added to you for that attitude.

mtbr member
    Of course, car commercials never depict unsafe driving...
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Of course, car commercials never depict unsafe driving...

They do at least insert a disclaimer about these drivers are professionals, it being a closed course, etc.

All that said, I kinda like the ad that Transition did for their Rapture.

it made me laugh.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Reputation added to you for that attitude.
    Absolutely!

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Die werden "Kampfradler" genannt :-)

Edit: I hope the link works:

https://translate.google.de/translat...n-6400034.html
    Vielen Dank! I think I'd rather drink a Radler!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    If i encountered one of these guys splitting lanes riding upstream while im splitting lanes riding with the flow of traffic yeah id be pissed. And i dont know if id yield to um honestly.
    Of course you wouldn't yield to them. I wouldn't either.

Who in his/her right mind would yield to some idiot riding the wrong way down a one-way street?

mtbr member
    Decades ago, a cyclist riding on the wrong side of a 2-way street in Champaign Illinois, turned left into the left turn lane of a one-way street. I had just entered that lane before the turn. There was no cyclist and I had not allowed room for one. There was not much distance to the stop line to fix that when the cyclist entered the lane. She moved too close to the curb as I yanked the car to get all the room I could. She hit her right pedal on curb on the downstroke forcing her to stop. She let fly at me with some spicy invective.

It was a red light for me so I got out and told her that I was a pedestrian, cyclist and motorist and gave her all the room I had to give and barely had time to do that, but that she had three driving offenses in 50 feet and if she could not ride more sensibly than that, she should take her bike home and leave it there! Not a single curse. The last three words were quite loud though.

The physics of 3000 pound of car versus 150 pounds of cyclist and bike mean that some actions are just plain stupid. The cyclist picked a real good way to get on my bad side.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Decades ago, a cyclist riding on the wrong side...

The physics of 3000 pound of car versus 150 pounds of cyclist and bike mean that some actions are just plain stupid.
    Sorry Brian, but for everyone's sanity please don't use the physics argument.

It is frequently the justification for every terribly illegal driver behavior, and is misused to explain why cyclists obviously shouldn't legally use the road, why pedestrians obviously shouldn't legally use crosswalks, and why might-obviously-makes-right.

Your story worked just fine without it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer74 View Post
    Of course you wouldn't yield to them. I wouldn't either.

Who in his/her right mind would yield to some idiot riding the wrong way down a one-way street?
    I do all the time. There's no chance I'd risk a collision with another individual. Part of riding responsibly is not riding recklessly. It's just as reckless to force a collision because of ego as it is for a rider to salmon/run lights, etc.

Generally, if I see someone acting in a way that may negatively impact me, I give them enough room (yield) that those risks are mitigated.

It's a stupid advertisement. They're all stupid advertisements. The film needed drama and it delivered. Here we are all talking about it and giving the video hits and pushing the All City name higher in search algorithms just by mentioning it.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    I do all the time. There's no chance I'd risk a collision with another individual. Part of riding responsibly is not riding recklessly. It's just as reckless to force a collision because of ego as it is for a rider to salmon/run lights, etc.

Generally, if I see someone acting in a way that may negatively impact me, I give them enough room (yield) that those risks are mitigated.

It's a stupid advertisement. They're all stupid advertisements. The film needed drama and it delivered. Here we are all talking about it and giving the video hits and pushing the All City name higher in search algorithms just by mentioning it.
    True that! Legally, you have an obligation to mitigate damages. If you can avoid the crash and elect not to, you are at fault as well.

Besides, I'm too old, running into someone hurts and I like my bikes too much to intentionally run into some idiot. Too many of them in the world to win that battle.

Nothing wrong with Helping All City out, they make great bikes and adverts that generate discussion. I think what bothered me more than the riding the wrong way was the fact that the guy on the Mr. Pink could not catch the messenger type! Lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Sorry Brian, but for everyone's sanity please don't use the physics argument.
    I see what you mean.

Not what I was thinking.

I was not thinking of an excuse for motorists who run over cyclists when they were fully able not to, and were either too lazy, too incompetent, too distracted, too drunk, or too uncaring to do so. Might is not right.

While we as cyclists have to bear that unfortunate risk, we are it required to accept it. More importantly no one has the right to shove it down our throats.

I was thinking we should not be stacking the deck against ourselves. The physics must be respected to a degree. Not to do so is just suicidal.

Taking the lane can be a good way to avoid that for example. Harder for them not to see us.

BTW I rode that route just once, and never on the 1-way! Insane when I rode the right direction!

Anyway, I was thinking analogous to driving across railroad tracks with a train imminent to roaring by or stopped for that matter. It is a bit like stepping off the sidewalk directly in front of a bus doing 40 mph in the middle of a block. Just not on, ol'man! The wise cyclist avoids stacking the deck against themselves if possible we have enough problems out there! Especially with guys who think because they drive some massive chunk of steel they have the right to flatten our a$$!

But you can't fix stupid, so why do I try? Just a humanitarian and optimist, I guess.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Well I just think they are partaking in some extreme [email protected] that I want no part of

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    There's no chance I'd risk a collision with another individual.
    Well, you're always risking collisions with other individuals, if you ride where there are other people...

It's just as reckless to force a collision because of ego as it is for a rider to salmon/run lights, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by z1r View Post
    True that! Legally, you have an obligation to mitigate damages. If you can avoid the crash and elect not to, you are at fault as well.

I didn't mean that I would force a collision. I meant that I simply won't put myself at great risk of being doored (by going right) or being clipped by a passing car (by going left) to avoid somebody coming down the bike lane the wrong way.

Virtually always it's enough to "take the lane" and let the salmon either move in to the auto lane or the sidewalk. Once or twice I've had to slow considerably or even stop when it was clear that there wasn't enough room for both of us to pass...
    Of course, that meant that the guy going the wrong way had to slow/stop, too, so maybe that makes an impression.

mtbr member
    I guess I'm going to say something unpopular here, but I think there can be a certain value to a small group of cyclists just kind of blowing people's minds. And if that occasionally involves a big F.U. to car culture, then so be it. Social movements for change often have certain extremists who make normal members look that much more respectable.

Even if every cyclist rode in perfect obeyance of the traffic laws, cars would still be plowing us down ignorantly, negligently, textingly, drunkenly, blindly, and blamingly.

As a kid, I loved the chase scene in the bmx movie Rad:

I also loved the chase scene in E.T. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZni1gomz8Y

Part of the deep down reason a lot of us ride is the feeling of freedom on a bike.

36 million people watched Danny MacAskill's 2009 Inspired video on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19zFlPah-o A lot of it was not riding in the street. But, if it makes some people's car-focused mentality open up even slightly to even notice or see bikes at all, and to expect them "coming from anywhere" and therefore be more careful, then that may be an indirect benefit.

Of course riding the wrong way between lanes etc. is unwise. And I can certainly see strong arguments against that image being out there. But, I don't think it's as counter-productive as some of you think. And I'm not going to protest a bike company who has some lawlessness in its image.

I just got back from a trip to Copenhagen, Denmark, and, to see thousands of bikes owning the streets was amazing. And when you have EVERYONE riding bikes, it's going to include some outlaws too.

Motorcycles are similar. There's a small group of jackass motorcylists that "make a bad name." But, when the Republic of Texas biker rally is in Austin, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republ...as_Biker_Rally, cars are forced to notice motorcycles. They have to look out for both the sensible riders and the crazy ones.

So, I'm not advocating riding like a jackass. I'm just saying that jackass bikers annoy me far less than thoughtless drivers.