Shimano XT hydraulic brakes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Shimano XT hydraulic brakes

I have hardtail mountain bike I have been using as a commuter, BB7s have been very reliable for me. I am thinking about purchasing a set of older XT hydraulics that are on sale, I am worried about the calipers being permanently damaged due to cold weather.Boise typically has temps down to -2, the bike would be left out in the cold for eight hours. It seems in general mineral oil tends to stiffen up the brakes when very cold? I can live with that, however I am worried about the pistons being permanently damaged.I want to stay with shimano brand since I have several new dual control levers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Mineral oil has a freezing point of -22F, so I think you'd probably be OK in your locale. Winter riding is going to shorten the life of any component, but if you take care of them and double up your maintenance routine, you'll be fine.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Mineral oil has a freezing point of -22F, so I think you'd probably be OK in your locale. Winter riding is going to shorten the life of any component, but if you take care of them and double up your maintenance routine, you'll be fine.
    What kind of maintenance are you talking about?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by twinracer View Post
    What kind of maintenance are you talking about?
    For brakes, just make sure you keep the rotors clean with rubbing alcohol.

My winter commuter has hydro brakes (Avids, but they use DOT fluid, and I've ridden in -20F) and I had no problems last winter, and the bike/brakes are still doing great. My winter maintenance routine is to bring the bike in on the weekends and let it thaw out. Then wipe it down, relube the chain, clean the brake rotors with rubbing alcohol. If the bike is really nasty, I'll pull the brake calipers and pads and wipe the pistons down too. Once the bike is ready for action again, I put it back out in the freezing cold garage so it's ready to go. I think the constant freeze/thaw cycles are hard on bikes (not proven, just a thought), so my bike only thaws out on the weekend.

My routine is probably overkill, but it gives me something to do in the winter
    Jason

mtbr member
    thanks for the reassurance, I am going to go ahead and by the XT set of hydra's,thanks to all!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Not so fast. This review from the fat bike forum isn't very reassuring.

http://forums.mtbr.com/8478687-post5.html
    Jason

Moderator Moderator
    If you decide against the XT's, my BB7's have worked great in VT winters. However, I was able to leave the bike inside to thaw out during work & at home, so that could make a difference.

One Colorful Rider
    Not so fast. This review from the fat bike forum isn't very reassuring.

https://forums.mtbr.com/8478687-post5.html
    Yea That's what I was Thinking.
    I was at a Fat Bike Event in Northern Wisconsin a couple weeks ago I notice a
    Big Majority were using Avid BB7's. I myself ride BB7's on my Winter Bikes

A Cool 13 degrees F the day this was taken with BB7's

Snow Bike 2010 by normbilt, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I run Avid Elixir R's hydros and have had zero issues in subzero temps. However if they were to ever fail (in any season), I'd go to BB7s because they are simple and they work exceptionally well.
    Jason

mtbr member
    .I am going to go ahead and take a chance, I can buy the M765 calipers and xt dual controls for $106.00 with shipping for the front and back thanks again to everyone, you guys are very kind.very interesting that the wisconsin riders use BB7s.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BORDERCOLLIE View Post
    .I am going to go ahead and take a chance, I can buy the M765 calipers and xt dual controls for $106.00 with shipping for the front and back thanks again to everyone, you guys are very kind.very interesting that the wisconsin riders use BB7s.
    I ride my XTRS to -35 C (without the wind chill)....the work just fine....

Below about -20 C they do tend to leak a bit of oil...

I think the XT's are supposed to be better than the XTR's for the cold weather leakage issue.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    BS the shimano mineral is even close to setting up at -35 C (-31 F).

mtbr member
    May 2006
    For brakes, just make sure you keep the rotors clean with rubbing alcohol.

My winter commuter has hydro brakes (Avids, but they use DOT fluid, and I've ridden in -20F) and I had no problems last winter, and the bike/brakes are still doing great. My winter maintenance routine is to bring the bike in on the weekends and let it thaw out. Then wipe it down, relube the chain, clean the brake rotors with rubbing alcohol. If the bike is really nasty, I'll pull the brake calipers and pads and wipe the pistons down too. Once the bike is ready for action again, I put it back out in the freezing cold garage so it's ready to go. I think the constant freeze/thaw cycles are hard on bikes (not proven, just a thought), so my bike only thaws out on the weekend.

My routine is probably overkill, but it gives me something to do in the winter
    Freeze/thaw is not an issue that I have found my bike goes through it twice a day all winter long. Needs a wash and rins at least every two weeks if not once a week.